Unable to : post pictures, delete links...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Unable to : post pictures, delete links...

Been a few days since I posted something here, and the site has been upgraded (thanks!).

But today I find I am unable to post pictures. I started a thread on a bathroom upgrade, where I could only copy-paste hyperlinks to images. Earlier there was a way to post an image as an image, easy to see. Now I don't see that.

I do see the chain-link icon that seems to allow me to post a link (which I presume shows a picture too?), but it does not allow me to post two pictures. Is there another way of doing that?

(edit: I tried, and that 'post a link' does not show the jpg image. It does not even show the link fully...)

And once that link-icon is used to add a hyperlink, how do I delete it? It allows me to 'Remove Link', but then it does not allow me to save the edited message! (The error is 'Please add a valid URL').
    Last edited by radhak; 05-27-2016, 01:34 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Have you clicked on the "camera" icon next to the chain link to add a photo? The photo icon allows either an upload or select from Photo Album. I had no problem uploading a couple of photos last week from my account. I upload images to SDZ direct from my computer.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

yes, that seems to work (ie, I did not complete the action). But I wanted to use a link to an image that is already online; I do not have this image on my machine.

Of course, I could download it first, and then upload it - but that seems an unnecessary extra step.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Uploading does seem like an unnecessary step! But downloading a picture is also an unnecessary step for the dozens and dozens of viewers as well. Usually I will ignore download links unless it is a topic I am really interested in, but if a picture is already there it may spark an interest,

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I think I need to be clearer here.

Earlier, it used to allow me to embed pictures into my posts here, by using the Image Tags - where the pictures are elsewhere on the internet, but showed up inside my posts. eg : check this thread from last year: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...computer-table

All those pictures in that thread are on my google/picasaweb site. I took pictures using my phone, it got automatically uploaded to picasaweb, and I used their links to embed the images in my post. Anybody wanting to see those images just needed to read the thread, no downloading needed.

Now, for all that I can try, I am only able to paste the html links to my images in my post, and they show up as links, not the images themselves. And I agree viewers will now need to click on the links and to view them (they don't have to be downloaded per se, but it's a pain).

I guess I could download the pictures to my machine, upload them to sawdustzone's servers and embed them; but that's a couple of extra steps, to say nothing of using storage space here that need not be used.

I think I must be missing something in all this: because this was a feature existing in the prior version, it surely must exist in the latest version?!

- Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Okay! I think I succeeded!

I was able to use the 'Upload Attachments' icon on the right side of the edit box (looks like a paper clip). There, it offers the option 'Upload from URL', where I can paste the link to an image and it embeds the image inside the post.

Hopefully this might be useful info for others wanting to achieve the same results...?

- Aristotle

Comment

• Black walnut
              Administrator
              • Aug 2015
              • BT3K

Test for image
              just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Black walnut
                Administrator
                • Aug 2015
                • BT3K

Click on the "A" icon to open the advanced editor and then clik on the picture icon. Copy/paste your image source URL. click ok and you are done.
                just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Black walnut
                  Click on the "A" icon to open the advanced editor and then clik on the picture icon. Copy/paste your image source URL. click ok and you are done.
                  That's it! That's what I was looking for!

Thanks, Mark! You saved my mind from exploding with puzzlement!
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Black walnut
                    Yep, that did the trick for me. Until I saw this thread, I thought that "A" was just for editing text, but I guess it means Advanced

Comment

Working...