Show off your miter station, dust hood and surrounding areas!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Show off your miter station, dust hood and surrounding areas!

So with the Metabo 12" slider now in the shop, it's fitment to the existing miter station is, questionable at best. I honestly need to figure out how far to adjust but I know the main cabinet needs to get shortened up a few inches to get the saw table lined back up with the mortiser, and honestly, the attempt at a dust hood I had previously was an utter failure.

So I am fishing for ideas on what I can do that will actually work.

What I like about my setup now?

Well I have posted pics of it before, but the cabinet itself has great storage for blow molded tool boxes for my various hand held tools. And the drawers have provided huge amounts of storage space for, well stuff that needs to move to the drill press stand but that is a separate project.

The height of the stand has been working out well, but with the new saw being taller, this means it is taller than the BT table top now. Not a huge problem as I will only lose about 4" of potential outfeed support from the TS and I honestly never used it...

So there it is, let's see what your setup has been. And share any ideas you have for setting up / modding my setup. And remember I will be coming from overhead with the dust collection hose...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Miter station??? We don't need no stinking miter station!! Click image for larger version

Name:	10 in CMS.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	853101
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

That is one way to do it, and a more potentially rolling cart is an option. Heaven knows dust collection on the miter saw is pitiful at best. Have not had results with the Metabo yet...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Small shop. The CMS stores on the wall when not in use. The B&D Workmate does double duty as a support for the assembly table with a StoreHorse. The extensions store up on the wall near the joists when not being used. There's lots of setup/tear down time in my shop.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	C95C1C65-A89E-4480-8B4C-8E0AF91BAB0A.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	853105
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

So I fiddled around with it, and I think I have a plan-ish...

I was able to move the mortiser all the way, almost at least, forward on its cabinet and got the tables lined up nicely, however the heights are still off. More on that below.

I am thinking remove the current hood, take the top and the curved hardboard backer off, and replace the sides with versions tall enough to basically act as additional support for the library cabinet. We will come back to that in a minute.

Move the entire hood forward, such that the front side edges are just behind the fence on the saw.

Add suport structure so that there is a front face that is just outside of the fence perimeters with enough space to operate the flip stops mounted to a fenceless extension table. So maybe 1" to 1.5" behind the fence line.

Re-create the curved backer with the tempered hardboard, but smaller this time, so that the furthest most rear part of the saw clears with not a lot of clarance, 1/2" or so...

I doubt I will be able to go straight up, so head out with some 2.5" from the saw itself, and a 4" from the back-ish of the hood to the existing 5" drop.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

my miter saw station dust hood does capture most of the dust, especially when I remember to turn on the dust collector. 10” Hitachi compound slider saw.

Name:	3376B6E2-D285-43CC-930B-A44A658AB14A.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	853110

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              So that looks interesting. I see you more or less have a slant top, and what is that clear vinyl enclosure? How are you picking the dust up? I see the 2.5" hose off the back of the saw, do you have a second hose into the enclosure?
          • dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

So I have whacked down the extension tables. No more extended fences but certainly have the arrangement for the stops where they need to be. This allowed me to actually use the saw, even with the old Diablo blade.

The actual operation of the saw is much smoother than the Chicago Electric (no surprise there). It is every bit as much of a joy to use as my KM12VC routers. Something REALLY nice about a smooth operating power tool...

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Name:	8834E1CD-4E88-411A-9439-DEF6F29E801F.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	853116 It’s a lexan enclosure with vinyl curtains in front. 2 1/2”
              hose to factory dust connection on saw and 6” pickup behind saw where it blows most dust. Some dust still gets out the front but not much. The 6” straight off the clearview cyclone will suck up a large housecat if it got close enough!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, 6" considering my HF 2HP DC / Wen impeller rig isn't gonna work, I've got 5", BUT... I have no qualms doing somwhat what you did. I am pretty sure I have a 5x5x2.5 branch wye in a box somewhere. That rig would eliminate me having to re-route my DC, just change up the hood and make some minor plumbing changes behind the cabinet... (Cabinet still plumbed with 4")...
            Working...