• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Is Home Depot into EBAY?

I recently ordered 2 unrelated items from EBay. A 5 pound box of hot melt glue sticks and an electric charcoal lighter. These items were in different department categories. I view all of the offerings and didn’t notice any of the sellers having any thing to do with Home Depot. Today when I received the 2 packages, both had Home Depot shipping order sheets. What’s going on, I has Home Depot moved into EBay?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were. They would be foolish to avoid taking advantage of potential sales options if they can make the kind of margin they are looking for....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Who is doing the selling for them? Why aren’t they stating it is Home Depot? Strange

i really don’t blame anyone. Not that im particular fond of EBay, but I hate to see all the additional clutter from more of the same sellers.

One thing in particular I see now is sellers posting every size of an item on separate sales. Example Selling 1 size length band saw blade in separate site, and having separate site for each width and separate tooth set. Each seller might have hundreds of sites. That can’t be easy, maybe it is a HomeDepot site too.
      Last edited by capncarl; 01-21-2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Curious. Can you provide a link to those two items eBay pages? Perhaps by private mail if you don't want to publicly show what you bought.

Thanks.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

It's a common scam, unfortunately. Ebayer uses a stolen credit card to order from Home Depot, Ebay buyer receives item and is happy, HD suffers the loss from the stolen credit card.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by woodturner
            It's a common scam, unfortunately. Ebayer uses a stolen credit card to order from Home Depot, Ebay buyer receives item and is happy, HD suffers the loss from the stolen credit card.
            Oh, that makes sense.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Ok…. But I recieved both packages quickly. Like 2 days, addressed to me not reshaped by an EBay seller using a stolen card, and both had the Home Depot shipping order In the plastic sleeve. Making me doubt a credit card fraud.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                That stinks. I have never heard of that. Is this something that should be reported to Home Depot, and / or Ebay?
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                  Ok…. But I recieved both packages quickly. Like 2 days, addressed to me not reshaped by an EBay seller using a stolen card, and both had the Home Depot shipping order In the plastic sleeve. Making me doubt a credit card fraud.
                  The scam would work like this:
                  Scammer places eBay posting for items
                  You (unsuspecting customer) places order for item with eBay seller/scammer Pay scammer with Paypal.
                  Scammer orders item from Home Depot using stolen Visa Credit card. Uses your name and address as ship to address.
                  You receive item with Home Depot shipping documents and order number,

In the end,
                  Scammer received cash from Paypal
                  You received item.
                  Home Depot was paid by Visa
                  Some Visa user is billed for item purchased with his card. but he never gets it.
                  Small 10-20-30 dollar items may not get noticed and he ends up paying.
                  If the Visa user notices and contests the charge, and it is determined he did not place the order, then there will be some stuff going on with the bank and the User and Home depot. About unauthorized/fraudulent use. They will identify the eBay account but by then the scammer will have moved on, leaving a hard to trace paper trail of stolen or fake internet IDs..
                  If they figure it out, eBay may also be involved and they will probably check you out too , but determine you were just an innocent bystander. Eventually either the Visa bank or HD or the account owner eats the loss.
                  Technically it could be seen that you have received stolen goods and they can be repossessed and returned to the original owner without recompense (same as if you unknowingly purchase stolen merchandise). But that seems unlikely.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-22-2022, 02:26 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I figured out what this was. Today I inspected the shipping box and found that it was from Home Depot, not the seller. That tells me this seller is drop shipping through HD. This is illegal on EBay but evidently it does go on, but it is curious that I hit 2 different sellers at the same time that both drop ship! I hope I didn’t get them in trouble because the both had the lowest cost with their items,

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. I never heard of Home Depot being a drop shipper / wholesaler, but instead a retailer. Sounds off...

Comment

• capncarl
                        capncarl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It does sound off! even if it is my story! The first item I ordered was an electric charcoal lighter which HD may sell, although I can’t find them in my local store. Item 2 is 1000 brown 3/8 self adhesive felt bumpers which I have not seen anywhere in store HD or online. Maybe someone will figure out something different?
                    • woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                      The scammer orders from Home Depot but enters your address information, so the item is shipped directly to you by Home Depot, they just use the stolen credit card to pay for the order.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...