• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Hi Pappy,

If it would help you, give me your scale (1-inch equals what dimension on your layout?) and I will scale my illustrations to match your scale and e-mail them to you or post them here. For my Corel Draw program, that's pretty simple. I don't know what your printing capabilities are, but I can also print you a sheet or two if you just want to cut them out; and, just let me know if you want specific tools.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

CWS, I appreciate the offer but I think I am going to go old school. Lay out the barn floor on paper and make cut outs of all the tools, On a side note, I did find a decent room planner on line that has a basic free version. We are going through a major rearranging/remodel of the house and I don't want to move furniture any more than necessary. Unfortunately the tool icons are severally limited.

floorplanner.com
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I just started looking into this, too, and found this below. The YouTube explains how to use the PDF/PowerPoint files which you download and copy/paste to move your tools around.

Demonstrating the woodworking workshop layout planning tool that uses a PDF and PowerPoint to help you make complete scale workshop models and plan your best...

My goal is to help You Maximize Your Shop Space!

Not as snazzy as the Grizzly shop planner, but at least it works.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

This same question was asked on the Festool Owner's Group site and one of the members there mentioned that they used OpenOffice Draw (which is free)

I threw together a quick crude template last night of woodshop tools and the initial results are shown below. This is base on what's in or has been in my shop that I could remember.

Woodshop Template.pdf

Is there any interest in this, and if so, what tools am I missing that people would want to include in a shop layout.
          Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
            atgcpaul commented
            Editing a comment
            If you want to stay in OpenOffice, check out the link I included above. There's a link to a PDF and PowerPoint in there that already has several to-scale models of many tools. You could ask the author if you can copy them, and if allowed, convert the file to OpenOffice format.
        • Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

For now, this is all on hold. We are looking to sell our house and go full time RV. We found a piece of property that we can buy fairly cheap and use as a home base. Just over a third of an acre is a town of 495 people. The house on it was built in 1955 and is 1120 square feet. I plan to gut it and turn most of it into a shop. The plan is to update the kitchen, laundry, and bathroom as well as setting up a room for finishing and another for a small office/design center.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Stan
            • Mar 2004
            • Kalispell, MT, USA.
            • BT3100, Delta 36-717

have purchased and use Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer Architectural (by Chief Architect). It is rather spendy at around $250, but if you do a lot of layouts (I used it for years doing kitchen cabinetry layouts for clients), plan on remodeling in your future - or for messing around with shop plans it can be quite useful.
            It allows importing Sketchup models-along with all the built in tools, so I grabbed a number of woodworking tools and stuff from the Sketchup 3D library.
            Again, lots of cheaper options but I thought I would throw this out there in case anyone might be interested.
            Attaching a doll-house view of the new shop layout that I keep changing about 3 or 4 times a day

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dollhouse View1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	852784

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArchDesExports.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	852783

Attached Files
            Last edited by Stan; 11-04-2022, 08:28 PM.
            From the NW corner of Montana.
            http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              Does your version allow you to export to CAD or SketchUp? The engineer who planned our remodel uses Chief Architect, but couldn't (wouldn't?) export to CAD or SketchUp. I just ended up taking his exported PDF and drawing over the lines in SketchUp to tweak the model and share back with him.

• Stan
              Stan commented
              Editing a comment
              I took a screen capture of the export options and added to the original post.
              Note: It doesn't look like I did a very good job with that screen capture - will update that later tonight or tomorrow.

Ok, correct menu option screen capture included above.
              Last edited by Stan; 11-04-2022, 08:52 PM.
          • Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

WB Stan! Enjoy that snow.
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Stan
              Stan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Interesting couple of days.
              Lost power yesterday morning for a couple hours, then around 1:00pm it went out again. Just got power back today at 5:30.
              Gave that HF 2000W generator a good test. It did great, full night running the pellet stove, refrigerator, charging some electronics, the Dish receiver and 58" TV. Ran all night and this morning still had about 1/3 of a tank of fuel left.

You get any snow over your way?
              Last edited by Stan; 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM.
          Working...