Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

T-handle Allen wrench holders

Yeah I have these sets of t-handle Allen wrench holders Inch and metric,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P9230451.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	845510 Click image for larger version  Name:	P9230452.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	845511
    I want them out but not sitting on the bench where it takes up too much room.

Anyone have a good way to mount these to the wall or bench so they are easy to get yet not space consuming?

Vertical is difficult because the handles stick out and the given mounting holes are on the bottom. (altho I guess thats something that can be fixed).

I'm thinking it needs some kind of angle bracket or they're going to fallout if horizontal. But you want to read the sizes off the label.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-23-2021, 07:02 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Yeah I have these sets of t-handle Allen wrench holders Inch and metric,
    Click image for larger version Name:	P9230451.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	845510 Click image for larger version Name:	P9230452.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	845511
    I want them out but not sitting on the bench where it takes up too much room.

Anyone have a good way to mount these to the wall or bench so they are easy to get yet not space consuming?

Vertical is difficult because the handles stick out and the given mounting holes are on the bottom. (altho I guess thats something that can be fixed).

I'm thinking it needs some kind of angle bracket or they're going to fallout if horizontal. But you want to read the sizes off the label.
    Looks like they are made of steel. What if you mount those HFT magnetic strips to wall. Then just stick these and take them when you need. From your side view photo it looks like the left section might stick.

Just a thought.

NG

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Assuming they are steel could you bend the bottom down 45 degrees or so? Then you would be able to hang them by the keyhole slots. You might need to add a new bottom piece for them to sit on.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How about a block of wood, say 1.5 inches thick, as a backer behind the lower part of the holder?

You'd just need to drill two holes in the steel to affix to the backer, which itself can be nailed to the wall.
        Attached Files
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I saw this magnetic tool holder shelf at Harbor Freight and this is my solution. Not perfect but easy and cheap and no new holes. Partly the Nicer20 suggestion. Wish the wrench holders were narrow enough to put side by side but alas, not. They sort of nest back to back as you can see... the wide handles make an awkward situation.
          So they are off my worksurfaces, not taking up a huge amount of drawer space, still easy to select sizes and easy to get to when I need them. I guess that satisfies most of my issues. And the color even matches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P9300458.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	845592
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-30-2021, 10:59 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

FWIW, here are the Harbor Freight mag strips I was talking about. I believe they are $2.49 when on sale.
            Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              The handles stick out further to the back even when taking into account the thickness of the magnet strips.
              You'd have to put a significant spacer between the holder and the magnet and then you 'd have a big cantilever pulling it down.
          • capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

My 2 cenths worth, use the holders to get the proper drill sizes and convert your new Harbor Freight magnetic tool shelf into a T handle shelf by drilling the shelf. Then throw away the original holders away! You can use a heat gun to loosen up the original data sheets and put then on the side of your too box.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              You must be dreaming about the labels. In typical harbor freight fashion the labels don't line up with the T-handle wrenches!
              At least they are in the right order.
          • leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Bringing up a thread from last September on Allen wrench storage:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XY64LG3...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SK93V7J...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQGMLMV...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I like the "case" idea, but the last link uses an inverted "T" base design that looks good.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hank, I have a HF set that looks like that third one.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	63167_W3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	848517 Click image for larger version

Name:	t-handle allen set.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	848547
              It is also a pain in the neck to store.
              It's wider than its footprint so it is tippy and also just takes a large footprint and can't be stacked and is overall just floppy.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-18-2022, 03:42 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I do not want to devote that much space for any tool that will lie flat. I doubt the set would stand upright in the deepest drawers of my toolbox. I have a 25” wide shallow drawer in my tool box for fractional Allen wrenches. That includes a set or 2 of socket drive Allen’s, some ball ends, a small metal ratchet wrench box for loose Allen’s and numerous set of packs. The adjoining drawer has T handles and screwdriver handle Allen’s and ball ends. They lay flat in some order, not as precise as the rack.

On a side note concerning tool storage. I purchased a 56” US General bottom tool chest to replace an aging Kennedy same size box. I can’t say enough good about the box,….but several of the top most drawers are too shallow, ideal for screwdrivers, combination end wrenches, pliers and 1/4 drive sockets but are too shallow for sockets to stand upright as in a socket rack. The bottom drawers are deep enough for good size tools but you hate to use to fill them up with 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 socket sets.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Hank, I have a HF set that looks like that third one.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	63167_W3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	848517
                  It is also a pain in the neck to store.
                  I have not noticed the T shaped base with the inch/mm sets. I will have to check it out. I have about 3 sets of inch and 2 sets of metric as separate sets, so I have not noticed those at HF. I wlll look the next time. BUT, I may go for the flat storage box. They don't have as many in each set, but I can probably live with that, since I do have the backups.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Man you guys being all fancy with your T handle allen wrenches and all!

LOL...

I was at one point tempted to go with T handles, but instead I went with folding allen wrenches, and a set of 3/8 allen sockets in SAE, I still need metric... VERY useful if you tend to do your own brake jobs...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                      capncarl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      More and more stuff is showing up with metric Allen heads.
                      I was trying to attach a different toggle clamp to a jig and found that the hold down screw and it’s crappy little knob is metric. I have spares in 5/16 with nice large knobs but they are too short. I stopped by Rockler today but they don’t sell metric knobs

• dbhost

dbhost
                      commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I started using Metric early on in my career / DIY life as I worked as a mechanic for a shop that specailized in VWs and Dune Buggies in AZ back in the late 80s / early 90s. I went form there to TX and spent a few years working on higher end domesitcs / imports (Mercedes Benz, Caddilac, Ferrari etc...) until the combination of heat, humidity, and bosses that were crooks made me decide to to change careers...
                  Working...