• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GrumpyDad
    Does the IFTTT website offer any hope/automation of the things you are trying to accomplish?
    I haven't tried it. I have a display case light that goes on at dusk and goes off a 2 AM (yeah I stay up late). Entered into Alexa app.

The shop presents some interesting challenges.
    I have a group called GARAGE which consists of the two sets of lights and the air compressor. Which I always want to shut off at night and sometimes want to turn on before I got out.

I don't have the Dust collector and Vacuum devices on any group - I usually don't want to turn them on remotely nor will I leave them running when I leave the shop even for a minute or two.

The air cleaner I will want to turn on and leave running for a few hours when I saw or sand. so that's why I got the Google Next Hub which can be commanded to run something for a time. I want to leave that running on time even when I shut down for the night.

So the possible trigger conditions are
    • specific tools (table saw to trigger dust collector) and miter saw or jointer or router to trigger the vac.
    • Turning off stuff when I retire for the evening.
    • Entering and exiting the shop
    so these are not really things that IFTTT can detect as a trigger. Not the same as posting on a website. At least not yet....
    I suppose maybe there's a market for a tool trigger that can sense when an appliance is turned on and issue an IFTTT trigger but I don't think there is such a thing.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Just FWIW, if you are looking for more extensible, and secure home automation, look into Zigbee / Zwave componentry and a Hubitat Elevation Hub. I admit I am paranoid about WiFi as it is a VERY common protocol that most people don't secure very well, and almost all WiFi automation devices are 100% cloud dependent, which is something i wanted to avoid. IFTTT can do a LOT, but again, cloud dependency. My HA setup only has the voice integration (Alexa) and my Thermostat (Honeywell Home Smart Thermostat) on WiFi. Everything else is on Zigbee / Zwave and I spent a good hunk of time writing scripts, or applying the premade templates (just insert device name, and action parameters you want here kind of stuff.) and I've got it done. Kind of ... I have more smart switches to go. I do want to replace the smart bulbs...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• duramen
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2022

One of the guys in our local woodworking club is very talented. He runs the club website. His woodshop is automated. When he turns on a tool, the system automatically senses the current change in the wire, opens and closes the appropriate blast gates, and turns on the dust collector. When he turns the tool off, the system automatically leaves the dust collector running for a few seconds to flush out the remaining sawdust, and then closes the gate. The system is based on Arduinos or Raspberry Pis - small inexpensive single board computers. I don't remember how he connected solenoids or step motors to operate the blast gates. It is sophisticated, yet simple at the same time - an elegant solution.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by duramen
          One of the guys in our local woodworking club is very talented. He runs the club website. His woodshop is automated. When he turns on a tool, the system automatically senses the current change in the wire, opens and closes the appropriate blast gates, and turns on the dust collector. When he turns the tool off, the system automatically leaves the dust collector running for a few seconds to flush out the remaining sawdust, and then closes the gate. The system is based on Arduinos or Raspberry Pis - small inexpensive single board computers. I don't remember how he connected solenoids or step motors to operate the blast gates. It is sophisticated, yet simple at the same time - an elegant solution.
          I'd love to know about the stepper motors and sensors. I have seen a lot of Arduino / Pi stuff rigged with USB Zigbee OR Zwave dongles but never both. Depending on the sensors / actuators I may be able to rig something for the Hubitat....

I would absolutely LOVE a setup that would start my dust collector with the CORRECT blast gates open when I power a given tool on...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...