• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Thin (3/8") boards available anywhere?

One thing that I am missing in the USA that I had abundant access to in Japan was thin butt-joint laminated boards. On several occasions I have wanted some thin wood boards but not plywood. But I have not seen any in the US. They were plentiful overseas.

They are somewhat like these, only half the thickness: https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-in-x-3-f...nel/1000894038
    (I call them project boards.)

Anyway, below is a lap board I have used for eons for my laptop. You can see the size, the thickness (slightly less than 3/8) on the bottom pict and the fact that it is not plywood. I used that type of wood fairly often overseas and now I miss it. I certainly don't want to re-saw boards and couldn't for the size shown.

BTW, I have it on my folding "walker" that was made into a desk. LOML got tired of me fixing or repairing things on her dining room table, so I made a portable table for small projects

now Click image for larger version

Name:	15 x 10.5. top view.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	842402 Click image for larger version

Name:	8 or 9 mm edge view.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	842401
    Attached Files
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lowes and home depot and I suppose hobby stores sell 3/8" thick boards called exactly that, hobby boards or craft boards in 2 and 3-ft lengths. Not sure about 8" wide... But easy enough to joint together two or more 6" pieces. They're usually pretty flat and straight. I found them good for making small boxes with finger joints or butt joints where 3/4 material was way too thick and I didn't want to have to resaw them on the bandsaw. Don't ask me why the description says "square". Maybe the corners are cut square and the boards are flat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hobby boards.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.0 KB ID:	842415
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-26-2021, 03:17 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Over the years, I only found one lumber yard that sold 1/2-inch stock (like 1-inch stock is 3/4, 1/2-inch is 3/8, or so it was there) and that was in Corning, NY. Except for the shorter and narrower stocks of hobby pieces at Lowes and Home Depot and those pieces are usually #1 class pieces that are priced as such.

I suppose you could always run the normal stock through a thickness planer, but that seems to be such a waste, at least from my narrow point of view.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I haven't noticed the thin boards before, but will look the next time I am in HD or Lowes. I can just butt them together and glue them (hopefully) for wider boards. I have a 9 inch thickness sander, so I can glue them and make the joints smooth.) I am thinking about making some wood boxes and re-making some drawers for my router table. I have, in the past, just used 1/2" plywood, but it sure looks nice to have "wood" instead of plywood. Plywood Dovetails showing on the side of anything but shop drawers is a little distracting, but without thin boards, we have no choice.

Thanks
        Last edited by leehljp; 01-26-2021, 03:01 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A long time ago, I built a project that I designed that called for 1/2" and 3/8" maple parts. They were wider than the BT3K would resaw, so the logical solution was a Ryobi 13" planer. Hey, the reasoning worked with SWMBO!
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

As prone as Lowe’s wood is to warp, it would be hilarious if they stocked 3/8 x 6 x 8’ pine! It would like an octopus climbing off the shelves!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Short pieces at Lowes, usually clear pine, knot free and definitely not free.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

1/4" thick small boards at Hobby Lobby up to 12" x 5-1/4"

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...1-4%22/p/26208

3/8" "appearance boards" at Lowes

Find 3/8-in x 3-in appearance boards at Lowe's today. Shop appearance boards and a variety of building supplies products online at Lowes.com.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-28-2021, 03:45 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Thanks Loring. I found this at my Lowes online: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-3-8-...ard/1000075027

That should do for some drawers and boxes I will need in the next few months.

Ahh - No Wonder I haven't seen it - They don't stock it at my nearest store.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 01-28-2021, 07:22 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                    cwsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've used a few of those for drawer sides.

CWS
                • leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Lowes online says the local store doesn't stock 3/8. I went by HD and they had 1/4 and 1/2 but did not stock 3/8".

I have noticed that the Big Box stores here in the mid-south have very little wood other than general construction pine, poplar and oak. If I want specialty wood, I have to go to Springfield MO where my daughter is. Menards had some thin boards a couple of weeks ago but I didn't think about it or check to see what thickness it was. I did by some 1 x 6 x 4ft aspen. Beautifully white.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

HD doesn't list anything 3/8" boards on-line. Lowes does. Mine usually has the 3/8" boards.

P.S. today (3/21/2021) I was at HD and they had lots of stock of 1/4 and 1/2 poplar boards. The 1/2 looked OK, but the 1/4 all looked to be warped.
                    2 and 4 foot lengths and widths of dimensional 2", 3" 4" and 6"... the 6 inch dimensional real size is 5.5"

Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-22-2021, 10:58 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

I will be in Houston Sunday . . . for about an hour layover! Not enough time to go to Lowes Houston. I will keep my eyes open though. I know what to look for. Thanks!
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I'm 45 minutes from the airport. But Lowes is five minutes closer to the airport!
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pictures of the 3/8 and 1/2" thick wood at Lowes.

Comes in 2 and 4 foot lengths.

Clean and clear as you can see the sample attached pictures (click to view)
                          Attached Files
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• daisie678
                            Handtools only
                            • Mar 2021
                            • Oakland Gardens

I recently bought some wood pieces from online stores Tv Lift Cabinet and Elecwish, you can check out both websites I hope you will find a wood piece from there, and you can get more than 25% additional discount by using Coupon Codest discount code.
                            Last edited by daisie678; 03-22-2021, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...