• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Another Drill Press Jig...

Having a small shop and an even smaller tool budget, prompted me to use my drill press for cutting mortises. I purchased a Delta mortising jig and bits and soon discovered the amount of set up time and fiddling was really not to my liking. I made a dedicated mortise attachment for my drill press that bolts to the cast iron drill press table. The attachment has the mortise fence permanently attached, so set up is done much quicker.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	841330
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I had big dreams of using a mortiser, and even bought one (Delta, I think). I never used it over a two year span of owning it, and sold it to Norm Havens of Japan. I think he used it some but it was quirky. The problem with mortisers, from what I have read on occasion, is related to what you said - It has to be precisely set up and mortising boards have to be tightly locked down. Nothing like the idea of putting a board against a rip fence and just holding it tight as you push.

It kinda reminds me of a common problem with new (and sometimes old) pen turners. IF both ends of the pen blanks are not 100% perfectly square, alignment and concentric problems abound. It is difficult to convince some that 1/2 of a degree can cause such problems.

LOCKING down tightly for mortises is a necessity - from what I have read.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

I have used my attachment successfully with pine. The smaller chisel and bit with red oak and maple. It was slow and set-up was a chore. I really like your jig Jim. Are you using it with a floor drill press?
      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Black walnut
        I have used my attachment successfully with pine. The smaller chisel and bit with red oak and maple. It was slow and set-up was a chore. I really like your jig Jim. Are you using it with a floor drill press?
        Nope, I only have my old benchtop Delta 10" DP.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	841360
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ha, Ha, I like it that your mortising attachments match the color scheme of the Drill press used. Delta blue, I guess.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Ha, Ha, I like it that your mortising attachments match the color scheme of the Drill press used. Delta blue, I guess.
            They should match. The mortising gear is by Delta, even the bits and chisels. I bought the stuff at the same tool store that I purchased the DP. Notice the bit boxes on the lower shelf of the mobile base. Delta. By the way, the mobile DP stand is the one from my unused BT3100 saw with some additional bits.
            Last edited by Jim Frye; 11-18-2020, 11:33 AM.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...