• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Finish spraying cart

I mostly apply finishes outside, and the compressor sits in the no-woodworking garage. My spraying consumables have grown a bit with the new 3M Accuspray and PPS 2.0 system (great gun and system, recommended without reservation). Since the compressor got downsized and the new one is high on a wall, I had plenty of room under it for a cart that can hold the normal consumables, solvents, and in-work supplies. It can roll out to the work, and be used as a stand for smaller items.

This is all MDF, mostly previously cut stuff I had laying around. No fasteners, just glue and clamp. Mostly Titebond 2 but some Quick & Thick for places where I wanted it to dry fast to continue building. A little cyano here and there for fast action on non-critical items. Even the casters were leftovers scavenged from something long ago. I still have a few things to add, but they will be planned out as I use it and get a feel for where other items should go. I'd like to come up with a clever way to keep a breather on board and keep it protected from just dust and crap.

There's a tray to hold up to about six of the PPS cups with paint/finish in them, upside down as they need to be. This changes everything since I don't have to clean a whole gun for each finish change or when I have to wait a day or week to get back to doing a finish. And I picked up a carousel to spin small/medium items for easy spraying, and it has a home too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spray1.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	838504

Name:	spray2.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	838505

Name:	spray3.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	838506

Name:	spray4.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	838507
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Nicely done!
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

What? I didn’t think anyone actually applied these finishes...... I thought they just talked about it and smeared some gel stain on with a dirty rag. And you actually built a cart for it! Looks just great. I mean it! Lots of thought put in this cart. And everything is glued together. Now when you decide that this ought to be on the other side you can ask yourself.... self, what was I thinking glueing everything together. That’s the only negative I can find with this project. A+
      capncarl

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

An interesting way to look at it, for some reason I hate fasteners and love glue. Most of my furniture is glue-only. But I can see how screws alone would give flexibility. I guess I just don't trust them, especially into MDF and plywood. Hardwoods, sure. But yes, this is the result of thinking about years of how I walk up to a project to shoot it. The carousel is from having done a few small items lately and fighting to twist the parchment paper it was sitting on.

Already added something...

Name:	spray5.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	838513

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like the storage slot for the turntable. Good idea
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

My mind is constructing a cart like yours now. One thing that I must do different is not put the paint gun holder/hanger on the outside. Perhaps in a drawer or on the inside wall. On the outside, it will get bumped and knocked off in my smallish shop. I'll also make my own turntable; I have one about the size you have pictured, but I need another about the size of the cart's top for larger objects.

I really like the fact that the Accuspray system can spray from ANY position, and cleanup is so simple. Thanks for posting.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I kicked around the inside/outside hanging, and still have other things to hang and consider that. I'm generally against outside hanging. But in this case, the hanger is only as wide as the handles already are, and the cart will live in a dedicated spot at the front of one garage, wheeled out to work ten feet away. It will probably never go back into the woodworking garage after it's complete. I have two garages, with the wood in one and motorcycles/welding/plasma in the other. That's where the compressor is too.

I'm also considering a secondary turntable. I kind of wish I'd just built one into the top. Didn't think about it until reading your post. I have the little table to be able to spray small stuff anywhere, before the cart.

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Update on the cart, after 3-4 uses. Everything is working great. I need to add a gun holder for times when the gun is loaded and being used, but I need both hands. I'm thinking of some sort of swing-out holder so it's normally out of the way. I think it needs to be below the work surface (and keep all gun parts below it) so that large projects aren't in the way. Everything else is working pretty well, although I'd add 1" of depth to the drawer if I were doing it again. The side carry for the gun when not in use is not big enough to ever get in the way.

Comment

Working...