Looking for dust fitting adapter with 2-1/4" OD on each end.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looking for dust fitting adapter with 2-1/4" OD on each end.

I am Looking for dust fitting adapter with 2-1/4" OD on each end. Preferably slightly tapered.

I need to attach a hose with 2/14" ID end to the inlet of a Shop vac which has a 2-1/4" ID and accepts a 2-1/4" Hose.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hose adapter.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	827913

Right now I have a shop vac standard 2-1/2" hose which has 2-1/4" OD fittings (that mate with the shop vac inlet and various suction tools) molded to each end but I want to get that 8 foot long piece out of there.

Can't seem to find one anywhere.
    I can find these which is it except for the opposite sex, so to speak:
    https://www.amazon.com/Vac-Coupling-...D+x+2-1%2F4+OD

Any ideas on how to make one quickly with some tubing that is 2.25" OD? WHat tubing is that? PVC is not close enough.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-24-2016, 12:20 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Muffler pipe adapters.
    Some of the popular chain auto parts stores sell a variety of adapters for numerous size pipes that can be used for dust collectors and vac systems.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

It's not tapered, but you can get short lengths of Pet G from Mcmaster Carr that size.
      McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

There is a sketch! Did you just add it? It wasn't showing up at all on my iPad yesterday.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thanks, Lee. That might do.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
            There is a sketch! Did you just add it? It wasn't showing up at all on my iPad yesterday.
            Yeah, I added it a couple of hours later... had it but got distracted on the way to the scanner computer. Hehe.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I've just used a very short hose (e.g. a couple of inches) for that scenario. You can get the male fittings to make the hose.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I went by the hardware store and found that 1.5" PVC pipe uses couplings that have a 2.22" outer diameter.
                The hose inlets on the vac and hose end were very close to 2.29"
                So I wrapped about 3 layers of 3/4" masking tape around the middle of the coupling to build it up by 16-32 mils... ( 4 mils thick and 4 layers on each side) Thicker in the middle, outer part with none, to make a taper.
                Then I used some 2" wide duct tape which was about 6 mils thick. I left about .2" at the ends bare and worked to the middle where it overlapped about 3 layers.
                When done I had 2.23" OD near the ends and 2.31" diameter (OD) near the middle. .Glad to say it worked like a champ, the taper was perfect, and total out of pocket cost was $1.29 plus tax.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20161024_150932_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	827921
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20161024_151010_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	827922
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

Nice. You could also heat it up and stretch it out.

Comment

Working...