• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Accutrax arrived Sat. Stanley classic 99E utility knife holder holder arrived today.
    INstalled with no problem, marked a few lines on rough cut wood, it glided smoothly over the wood, one advantage is that the angle of the accutrax is much more acute so it goes more smoothly over the wood than my 0.5mm Pentels.
    Can't tell any difference in the width or accuracy of the line. Also was able to use the Lee valley corner square to mark the sides.

One thing I realized is that a possible disadvantage will be that if I were to drop it and it hit the marking blade it would probably break off and render it useless (altho I could still iuuse the other half of the blade). That would be a $1 or $1.50 drop since three double ended blades cost $4 to 6.. OTOH if I dropped my pentel I would at most probably break off the tip, 1/16th inch of lead lost at the most.

I'll post a picture later, I will have to delay using it on a project until I have a bit more time. I also have to mark the holder so I don't confuse it with the actual cut-capable box cutters.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I like the idea of using a pencil for marking. My favorite is a .9 rather than the .5 pentel, personal preferance. That way when I need to write something I have the correct tool at hand. If I was to put a graphite blade in my utility knife I would always be getting it mixed up with a utility knife with a real blade in it, and when my wife tries to cut open a cardboard box with my utility knife with the graphite blade, there goes another marking blade ruined. My note to the graphite blade mfg., why not make a marking pencil with a wide flat blade instead of using the wrong tool for the job?
      capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Back on topic: Accutrax pictures

A couple of quick pictures as promised.

The Pentel pencil with 0.5mm lead made the three lines on the left,

the Accutrax marker lines made the three on the right, I also wrapped them around the side using a Lee Valley Corner square and the Accutrax.

At this point its usable and I will be trying it in the future to see if it holds up better or if its more fragile and damaged by drops and worth the extra cost and maybe its extra size and heft.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2014, 08:18 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

LCHIEN, I like your place mats for your work bench.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Have used it a bit more, no problems.

The instructions say its made of fiber reinforced graphite which may be how they keep it from breaking easily. It wears some as expected but the blade can be extended and also the other end brought around to the front when its worn out, so it should last quite a while - more than a few sticks of lead in the pentel.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-25-2014, 01:12 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Isn't that knife holder retractable? Looks exactly like mine, which is!
              (I was assuming retractable holders would break that graphite).
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Uses a standard utility knife blade holder, or "box cutter" as we know them.
                I just took the metal blade out as well as the spares in the handle and replaced them with the Accutrax marker blades (incliudING the spares to the space in the handle).
                Retracts fully for protection when not in use.
                "Blade" is reversible when the first end is used up or broken.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-25-2014, 02:05 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...