• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Dual compressor plumbing done!

I have the plumbing done, based on hoses yes, but it is what I have to work with, and I am not ready to solder copper pipe for this yet, or cut and thread black iron...

Each compressor is plumbed via a 3/8" pnuematic hose, fed via quick disconnect to a 1/4" F NPT check valve, in turn this is attached via a 1/4 to 3/8 M-M reducer, and fed into a 3/8" brass tee, 3/8" brass nipple and then fed into the regulator / filter / water separator is the Central Pnuematic #68232

On the outlet side of the regulator another 3/8" brass nipple is used and a 3/8" tee, then more 3/8 to 1/4 reducers, to quick disconnects. The upper feeds the hose up to the hose reel, the lower is at the ready for connecting a second hose if so desired.

I was unable to find the clamps to secure the hose, however I figure I have a bunch of plastic hanger strap, I will figure SOMETHING out...

I should mention all connections were treated to a generous portion of teflon tape, and I made extra certain that there was no way excess teflon tape could possibly get into the air stream... When I took the outlet side connectors apart it became painfully obvious that I was the cause of my clogged impact gun. I think moving forward I may venture out and get the teflon paste instead of tape to insure I don't do that again...

BOTH compressors are connected, and on. I held the blow gun wide open, allowing the large compressor to kick on, and then the small one. I allowed them to run until they kicked off, so I know the combined effect at least was able to compensate for the flow of the blow gun..

So all in all, I am happy as I can be with this setup. Aside from needing still to secure the overhead hose, and that will come.
    Last edited by dbhost; 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can buy 3/8" NPT with 1/4" industrial plugs to save some brass...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, but it would be s lot more silver...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Your first two paragraphs, describing all those connections and fittings, brought this to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWJdXJvngU

Comment

• Rslaugh
          • Sep 2003
          • Red Lion, PA, USA.
          • Ridgid

Originally posted by dbhost
          I was unable to find the clamps to secure the hose, however I figure I have a bunch of plastic hanger strap, I will figure SOMETHING out...
          Something like this?

http://t.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-2-i...4724/100201267
          Rick
          IG: @rslaugh_photography
          A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
          And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
          ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

When I took the outlet side connectors apart it became painfully obvious that I was the cause of my clogged impact gun.
            Do you know what specifically caused the problem? Was it too much tape, tape over the end of the hose, something else?

Haven't had this issue and would like to keep it that way
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

For straps I use an emt conduit 1 hole strap. A 1/2" conduit strap would probably fit perfect and comes in a bag of 10 for little over a buck at the big box store. I use them in the garden to secure the plastic water lines to the raised bed boxes. They don't seem to rust after several years in the weather.
              capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                Do you know what specifically caused the problem? Was it too much tape, tape over the end of the hose, something else?

Haven't had this issue and would like to keep it that way
                It looks like I had a wrap or so of tape that was over the end of the 3/8-1/4 bushing that got loose on the outfeed side so it bypassed the filter entirely. Totally my fault. I am usually way more careful with the stuff, but it appears I may have been sleep deprived when I set that up...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                  For straps I use an emt conduit 1 hole strap. A 1/2" conduit strap would probably fit perfect and comes in a bag of 10 for little over a buck at the big box store. I use them in the garden to secure the plastic water lines to the raised bed boxes. They don't seem to rust after several years in the weather.
                  capncarl
                  Yeah, I just need to try a different big box store. The BORG I was at yesterday was out of inventory on those... That is what I am looking for though.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Rslaugh
                    Having trouble finding the link you sent, it just goes to the main page.

I was thinking about the metal versions of THESE but I guess I could just use the PVC ones and call it done. Home Depot is getting like $.94 / bag for them. Probably need 2 bags...

I suspect I am going to spend a LOT more in drywall anchors than these clamps themselves to get this done.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I just HOPE this link will work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2...6151/100172548

Halex 1/2 in. Electrical Metallic Tube (EMT) 1-Hole Straps (25-Pack)
                      The site shows 0 in stock for the store I checked yesterday, but 25 for the on just down the road from my house...

$3.56 for a bag of 25.

I can live with extras.

Yes they are single hole, not 2 hole, but that is fine, it's just a hose, not iron pipe... And a LOT of the weight is going UP the wall where I can firmly screw into the stud. Crossing the ceiling is where I will only have 2 studs to work with, and one of them is presently holding a shop light (need to reconfigure that!)

I was honestly looking for the 2 hole straps for a more secure hold though.

Like http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2...161/100160823#

I can see where a 2 hole is really overkill though...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think I have a bunch of perforated metal strap - cut to a few inches long and fold over the hose and stick a screw thru 2 of the holes.

But my hose to my reel is just laying over the rafters... is that a bad idea? I know its not up to electrical code for wiring not to be fastened down every 18 inches or less.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          I think I have a bunch of perforated metal strap - cut to a few inches long and fold over the hose and stick a screw thru 2 of the holes.

But my hose to my reel is just laying over the rafters... is that a bad idea? I know its not up to electrical code for wiring not to be fastened down every 18 inches or less.
                          Not really an option in my install. My ceiling is sheet rocked...

I don't have metal strapping, but rather the plastic variety, I was thinking of making hoops with it. No material to buy, and I can adjust it to be as snug or loose on the hose as I would like... The trick of course is finding exactly where those stupid studs are since they are not exactly where I would expect them to be...

I am securing the hose morely to keep it out of my hair / off the shop light...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

... The trick of course is finding exactly where those stupid studs are since they are not exactly where I would expect them to be...

I am securing the hose morely to keep it out of my hair / off the shop light...
                            those ultrasonic stud finders work pretty well.
                            Zircon...http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...on+stud+finder

the $20 ones without all the other gimmicks (wire locators) will easily find both edges of a stud so you can mark it clearly and nail or drill into the center.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-05-2014, 12:11 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...