• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Garage pics galore- finally progress is being made

So, it's been a Loooong and slooooow road, but I feel like I'm finally getting to the final point of getting my old shop moved to my new shop, and getting things organized. There's still a lot to do, and I need to move my RAS, Belt/disc sander, BS, and jointer to the garage/ new shop, but that's just a matter of getting things moved.

Anyway, here's some pics of the shop organization "in progress". You can see it going from a mess in March 2013, to kinda organized, to a mess again when I brought my mobile bench from my old shop (which was NOT easy to get moved, holy cow).
    Attached Files
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN

Windows

I had posted a poll on this before. I have two windows in the back of the garage/ shop that can be seen from the sidewalk in front of my house. I used frosted paint for the windows to make sure no one can see in, but I still had a huge issue with the massive amount of light at night.

So I finally bought blackout mini blinds from HD last night. They don't block 100% of the light, but it's still a vast improvement. I'm not sure if it's worth making more efforts to block the light, but for now I'm much happier.
    Attached Files

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN

Table saw recon

I haven't had my workbench until recently, but I've had my mobile TS station in my shop since March of last year. I took it apart to move it, and used that opportunity to totally recondition it. Everything that was able to be taken apart was done so. I treated everything with evaporust, scrubbed with brass brushes, and re-lubed up with dry lube all over.

Overall, I was happy with the result.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN

Opening to attic area

When I first started to modify the garage, I created an opening in the rafters so I would be able to get up into the attic area of the garage more easily, as well as have the ability to store wood and other items up there. The initial opening I created was much larger, but I realized that I'm not bringing sheets up there flat, and a much smaller opening would be OK. So, I bought a heavy-duty set of spring loaded attic steps (375 lbs capacity- bust I could find), and used that to determine how wide the opening would be. Then I framed up the rest of the opening. I still needed something longer than the space the steps would allow, but in the winter that extra gap means there's no heat retention at all. So just this weekend, I finally completed closing it up and creating a removable panel.

I think the pictures show what I'm saying much better.
        Attached Files

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Bit/ Tool Organization

Here are some shots of my organizing my various drill bits and driver bits. I have way to many of both! A lot were a rusty mess- so they were treated to a long soak in evaporust, and a coat of dry lube to help prevent them from rusting. All of the drawers in my mobile tool chest are littered with desiccant packs to also aid in preventing more rust.

Clearly I don't need to buy new driver or drill bit sets ever again. All of the cases in the organized drawers are full sets, with additional loose bits being organized.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BigguyZ; 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN

More tool organization

Here's more drawers in my tool chest.
            Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

You've come a long way for sure. I am wondering though. What mess? I mean you can still see the floor!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Is that white stuff on the ground Scandinavian Sand? Good look shop you sure have been busy.

Tom

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, Tom, it's that cold stuff you've heard about. We got another 10-12 inches of it last night... Good times!

I was hoping to have more done today, but weather and sore muscles intervened.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The shop is looking good.
                    Chr's

Comment

Working...