• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Getting my shop back together...

2013 has been a lousy year health and shop wise. I have been so busy with home improvement and truck repair projects, topped off with the health problems that have kept me at bay

As many of you know, I had my main panel replaced / upgraded, a 60 amp sub panel, and a series of dedicated circuits / outlets along the walls, insulated and then things went kablooey in my life...

Today I finished hanging up the sheet rock in the main powered wall, and started mudding it up. I still need to insulate the short wall between the garage doors, and then patch the sheet rock between the doors...

As soon as the drywall is completed in tape, and paint, I will start moving over my tool cabinets, move the dust collection ducting back into place, and then finish relocating the equipment where it belongs. THEN I start on the kitchen cabinet refacing job...

So I know it's not pretty but the long awaited photos...

The gaps above and below the sub panel are due to mismeasurement and have been patched up...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Nice start. Are you going to have 220v?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

There are 2 220V circuits in there at this time, You can see one right by the water softener, which is fairly close to the table saw, the other is in the nook by the compressor and where the DC goes. I have no use for 220V yet, but I want to eventually replace the DC with a nice 220V 3HP + cyclone, and the BT, as much as I like it would be out the door if I had a chance to pick up a 3HP SawStop...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Ah ok. I see it now. I would love to get 220V in my shop one day. I tell myself it's the only reason I don't have a 3hp sawstop as well.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I was planning ahead for that.

I am not dead set / committed to any particular cyclone, but I am leaning toward either a 3HP ClearVue CV1800RH, or a Grizzly G0441 3HP. The Grizz is more affordable, and while I am not sure, but the ClearVue, while nice seems like a lot more cyclone than my shop will likely need... Ever. However the 220V circuits are wired / breakered for 30 amps if need be...

I did kind of notice that my electrician did not install the boxes such that they would allow for drywall. So I need to get my hands on some spacers and shim the outlets so that the covers sit right... Ugh...
          Last edited by dbhost; 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

These work and you can buy larger quantities for a better price.

DP
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, that is what I was looking for... Simple spacers.

I am making headway with the design, but at the rate I am going, I won't be done with my projects before I retire... Ugh...

Oh well, the intent I have here is to come up with a shop layout with LOTS of enclosed storage / organization.

I have the book / media cabinet done, the miter saw / mortiser cabinet base is done, the drawers are a work in progress. The tool cabinets are done although there is in the image a "bridge" between the two cabs, that is simply shelves attached to the sides of the cabinets and some easy peasy plywood doors. The Drill press cabinet is designed to work with the mobile base and hold all of my drilling stuff, the miter saw cabinet holds my, well miter saw stuff, plus most hand held power tools, cords and miscellanous stuff. The saw cabinet holds table saw and router accessories, and the workbench holds hand tools and supplies not housed in the tool cabinets.

With this layout, I should be able to keep all of my small tools, and most supplies stored in enclosed, neat cabinets. No floundering around for where does this or that go... I have designed it with plenty of spare space... Now once this is completed, with the shed stuff out in a shed, I should be able to manage just about any size project I am willing to take on...
              Attached Files

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by wardprobst
                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Spa...3#.UsHfQXlPKuc

These work and you can buy larger quantities for a better price.

DP
                I've used these before. Depending upon the alignment of the sun, moon, Jupiter, and my tongue, they've been both a blessing and a curse. I used them in a house we bought years ago when the previous owner put sheet rock over paneling. We had to use these on almost every outlet in the house. They worked, but were a pain in the back side. If cost were not an option, I think I would have either redone the gang boxes or put proper extensions on them.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                  I've used these before. Depending upon the alignment of the sun, moon, Jupiter, and my tongue, they've been both a blessing and a curse. I used them in a house we bought years ago when the previous owner put sheet rock over paneling. We had to use these on almost every outlet in the house. They worked, but were a pain in the back side. If cost were not an option, I think I would have either redone the gang boxes or put proper extensions on them.
                  Extensions? Educate me please... I simply want my outlet mounted 5/8" further out from where the electrician put them... And I do NOT want to hack up my drywall to do it...

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Extensions? Educate me please... I simply want my outlet mounted 5/8" further out from where the electrician put them... And I do NOT want to hack up my drywall to do it...
                    The "right" way to do it is to use a box extender
                    http://www.homedepot.com/p/ReceptXte...0004/100159668#

It's a rim that effectively makes the box "taller".
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

seems like you cold easily mill and drill a batch of wood strips in short order to act as a top and bottom spacer.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        seems like you cold easily mill and drill a batch of wood strips in short order to act as a top and bottom spacer.
                        I don't believe that would be code, or looked upon favorably by an insurer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                          The "right" way to do it is to use a box extender
                          http://www.homedepot.com/p/ReceptXte...0004/100159668#

It's a rim that effectively makes the box "taller".
                          Those look like a great idea, however nobody local to me seems to sell them. Home Depot shows them as an in store only item, not carried within 50 miles of me so they won't allow me to web order them. I could get my local Ace Hardware to special order some I bet... I should try that.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                            Those look like a great idea, however nobody local to me seems to sell them. Home Depot shows them as an in store only item, not carried within 50 miles of me so they won't allow me to web order them. I could get my local Ace Hardware to special order some I bet... I should try that.
                            That particular item linked isn't available anymore I don't believe. Box extenders are a very common item, and other options should be locally available like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...1-2/202708650#
                            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Those are what I am seeing. Okay got it...

Comment

Working...