• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Windows in a Garage Shop

I have a detached two car garage where I use one half to house my workshop.

I recently finished upgrading the lighting for the shop, using 6 fixtures that use two high output 46" T5 bulbs each. It's really great, and a huge improvement over the two bulb socket lights that were there originally. However, with all of this light, my back yard is flooded with white light when I'm in there are night.

The two windows I have are opposite the garage door, and face my house. But they're also visible from the sidewalk (eventually I'll add a privacy fence, but that's far off in the future). So my concern is that all of this wonderful light makes it easy for a not-so-honest citizen to see my garage from the street, and perhaps notive I may have some items of interest in there.

To add to the fun, one of the windows is broken, from when I moved in. I'm looking for replacements now, but I'm wondering what to do with them in general to increase security with my garage. After all, there are thousands of dollars of tools in there.

I'm thinking of what options I have to deal with this, and I'd like to get your thoughts. And everybody loves a good poll, so I thought I'd include one.

Thanks!
    I wouldn't. Leave the windows as-is. It's not likely someone will try to look/ break in.
    24.56%
    Install a frost film on the windows
    10.53%
    Black the windows out
    0.00%
    Install some sort of bars, or other barrier that can be locked from the inside
    26.32%
    Close the windows up entirely
    8.77%
    Replace your windows with glass block windows
    8.77%
    Other
    21.05%
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

it would depend on where one lives. areas prone to break ins would need greater security than areas that aren't so prone.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by toolguy1000
      it would depend on where one lives. areas prone to break ins would need greater security than areas that aren't so prone.
      that was my first thought.
      even if you live in a "good area" there might be service people who happen by and can see your stuff. I think advertising that you have a shop is not a good idea. This some sort of window treatment is good. For a shop I would think high mounted windows (high on the wall but short in height) would flood your shop with daylight but keep passerby from spying what you have. Maybe some thin drapes that allow light in but you can't see through.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I fabricated "burglar bars" for my shop windows. Much better safe than sorry, regardless to the safety of the neighborhood. The bars use the same pattern of the windows, made using 1/2" round stainless, welded at all bar crossings with 3/16" flat plates at each end of bar, and screwed inside the window with 4" round lag screws. This set up is barely noticable from the outside but an intruder would see them if he looked inside, and is obvious inside the shop, and if someone inside the shop was scoping it out would write the windows off. That transfers all the liability to the personell and roll up door, which have extra deadbolts and padlocks. A little bit of security goes a long way for your piece of mind. It might not stop a determined thief but would slow them down enough that they would have second thoughts.

capncarl

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

My "shop" is a windowless garage. I'd kill for a window, really

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            I'm thinking of what options I have to deal with this, and I'd like to get your thoughts.
            Glass block windows will admit light but block vision - so you get the light in, but no one can tell what is inside. They are also inexpensive - about $2 a block if you buy and assemble them yourself. You can also get vent blocks to allow some ventilation.

When I built my garage/shop, I intentionally did not put windows in it for security reasons. The entrance door is on the far side wall at the end, so for ventilation I can open the main door and the entrance door and get a good cross flow.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

How about something like this?

Mirror window film via amazon.com link

or a different brand of mirror window film

There may be other brands and I don't have any user experience with them.
              Brian

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Blinds are inexpensive

Comment

• cork58
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                  • BT3000

My shop was built under my design and there are no windows. When we had the shop and house built the driveway was a 1/4 of a mile long and we both worked full time. Had a security system installed but now we are completely surrounded by subdivisions and the driveway turned into a 400' little hop off the main road. All that being said I still wouldn't have windows.
                  Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

How about rolling shutters? They're secure, guard against weather, provide extra insullation. They're very common in Europe.
                    JR

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'm partial to the idea of glass block. the thing about the windows also is, I can look out the window of my house, and if there's someone in there, I can easily enough see that as well.

Even with film, come summer I'm hoping to be making enough sawdust that someone walking by may not need to look in to know that there's some WWing going on in there. Thus, the concern about both visibility and anti-intrusion.

The neighborhood I live in is safe enoujgh, but I have to admit it's in an area Minneapolis there there are issues, and while my neighbors are good overall, anyone can be walking by from other adjacent areas, and those are the people I'm most concerned about.

I have had things stolen from different garages, and I really want to do what I can to prevent things from happening again- though I don't want to go overboard either...

Comment

• catta12
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Reno, NV
                        • BTS20R

I have a similar setup and am in the process of digging up some light curtains to obscure view, but let in light. I love having windows in my shop for the light factor. Your topic makes me wonder if I should add a little more security to the window though.
                        If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Replace the window, add surveillance and an alarm and you should have most of what you are looking for.
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Another consideration, is a/c in the garage. If it is provided for by a window unit, total removal is out.

Skylights are one item I would kind of like in a garage, a window for an a/c unit, with glass block above.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sweensdv
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • WI
                              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Take a couple of pieces of ¾" plywood and some hinges and mount the ply on the inside frame of the windows. When you have a need for more light just swing the pieces of ply open. Use a hasp and a padlock to secure the ply when not using the shop.

Comment

Working...