• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

You could install expanded steel (think insect screen on steroids) on the INSIDE of the windows using fender washers and screws. If the windows are broken, the thieves would have to cut the expanded screen to get in. That takes time, probably more time than a burglar is going to willingly spend.

The upside of the expanded steel is it doesn't look that bad from the outside.

The downside is, it makes washing the inside of the windows nearly impossible. Maybe you could make a removable frame to hold it so you could remove the screens for cleaning purposes. The frame would have to be strong enough, though so they couldn't just kick it in.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Is expanded steel something HD or Menards would carry?

Comment

• All Thumbs
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Penn Hills, PA
        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        Is expanded steel something HD or Menards would carry?
        Yes:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...etal&langId=-1

Technically the correct term is "expanded metal." The stuff used for security is typically made of steel, but you can also fine it in aluminum and other types of metals.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I selected "Other"... as I am also in a city and though I live in a fairly decent neighborhood, there are too many break-in's for my comfort.

I'm quite "security" conscious and therefore think that any kind of consistant light during the evening would indicate to someone that there is some worthwhile activity going on in your garage. That either means you've got yourself a nice "set of wheels" that your dedicating so many loving hours too, or else you've got something that may well be even easier to move. Either way, someone is going to get curious!

So, I think I'd just make some indoor shutters or doors that I could close over the windows at night and latch them in place. They could be hinged from the top or side or even simply removed during the day when you want some natural light. I think having natural light and maybe some fresh air during the day would be worth while and therefore I wouldn't go with blocks, blackening, or taking the windows out entirely.

With blocks or frosted windows, you still are showing evidence of activity and therefore "valuables". By using shutters (or even old cabinet doors), to block the light from the inside, you immediately remove any indication of your habitual activity. They will also act as a barrier should anyone who might think that just breaking a window is easy access... seeing the windows blocked from the inside, would turn most thieves away quickly, unless they knew that you weren't home and they had plenty of time to penetrate your blockages.

In any case, that's my thoughts on the subject, and I hope your garage shop is never put to the test,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Location, Location, Location. It comes down to what you want to spend and then what your specific needs are. I built my new shop with no windows. There is a lot more wall space inside because of it. I do need to add a window to the front door though. Claustrophobia sets in. I need to see when someone might be approaching the shop during work hours. I hate surprises. Like that at least.
            Lee

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
              My "shop" is a windowless garage. I'd kill for a window, really
              My thoughts too. Plus depending on the layout the window may be a good thing to have to get out in an emergency. I'd opt for blinds, and maybe some low-cost wireless alarm system.

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Be careful what you wish for! I have a window in my shop, fairly high on the wall so only a basketball player on his tip-toes can peer through it to see what's in the garage/shop. It turns out though the sun lines up perfectly to be in my eyes when I'm using the workbench during the afternoon. Just one more thing to keep in mind when planning the shop layout.

mpc

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Well, the placement of the windows is set- so that's a moot point.

I'm thinking the best options are to add some film and/or shutters to block visibility into the garage, and then add some sort of barrier that I can close up when I'm not in the shop.

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by mpc
                    Be careful what you wish for! I have a window in my shop, fairly high on the wall so only a basketball player on his tip-toes can peer through it to see what's in the garage/shop. It turns out though the sun lines up perfectly to be in my eyes when I'm using the workbench during the afternoon. Just one more thing to keep in mind when planning the shop layout.

mpc
                    What about some sort of awning on the outside?

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I have one window which faces the back of the house. The boat sits outside of this window which could be good or bad. It limits the ability to go in and out through the window but would also obscure that movement. My neighborhood is pretty safe so I do not worry about it. If they are willing to smash a window they can come into the house where there are more marketable things to steal.

For the subject situation, some sort of barrier to entry may make sense. If you can weld, rebar is cheap and you could probably make your own security bars. Nearly anything you do can be defeated so I would make it more difficult but accept that it won't be 100% secure unless you spend more than you are probably prepared to - and even then it will not be 100%.

Jim

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

Agreed. That's why I'm wondering how far I should go. Garage break-ins are definitely an issue in my area, and even with insulation and drywall, it's amazing how non-sound-proof my garage door is. As soon as I get my TS to my new shop (it's currently in pieces, with half at my old shop and half in my new shop), ans as soon as I start to make some real noise, I don't expect many in my immediate area to not know what's going on in my garage.

Therefore, I want to do as much as I can to dissuade the less determined trash from trying to break in.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

I fabricated and installed burglar bars for my parents house in a "socially declining" neighborhood. The bars were 1/2" round cold roll steel, welded the same pattern as the window panes, screwed to the window frames on the outside of the window using 6" long round head phillips head commercial roof decking screws. The screws were extremely hard to install even using an impact driver. A burglar entered the house through one of the protected windows that was hidden from all veiw by shrubery. They must have spent several hours removing the 8 screws with a pair of vice grips, then busted the windows and frame to enter. This is the reason that I now screw the burglar bars on the inside of the window frame. It can still be removed but it will be a lot more work. It looks better on the outside of the house this way too.
                          capncarl

Comment

• Denco
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Coming soon: California
                            • BT3100

If there's any concern about theft, I'd put the bars in for peace of mind. Also keep in mind that people will probably hear you in there sawing, drilling, etc, so it may not be just seeing you through the window, but hearing what you're doing.
                            *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                              They must have spent several hours removing the 8 screws with a pair of vice grips, then busted the windows and frame to enter.
                              A cordless angle grinder with a diamond blade will quickly and quietly cut through nearly anything other than thick concrete in seconds. Around here, they are using them to cut through burglar bars, roll down security doors, high end locks and chains, etc. Pretty much nothing is safe anymore from the burglar with a grinder.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                                • Jun 2006
                                • So. Florida
                                • Delta

All of my shops have had windows of some type. Being in an industrial district, break ins were common. Good security bars are a delay, and hard to get through with a cordless angle grinder. Of course they could carry a dozen extra grinding wheels and 6 or 8 extra batteries. It's possible that thieves might have one of those tools, but are more likely going to hook up a chain and yank out the bars with a vehicle.

If the windows are high, make entrance/exit to/from the shop difficult. That way they can't roll out your equipment. Alarms help and are a deterrent. My best deterrent was with a 115lb German Shepherd. Never had a break in.

Comment

Working...