• Show
Clear All
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Garage Workshop

I have moved and lost My shop but not My equipment. I am looking in a copy of "Workbench" and it has a plan for a small shop along the wall of a garage. I am going to have to use that type of format that equipment will be rolled out and used and then replaced along the wall. It will be difficult for Me as I have a lot of stuff.

I am placing My BT3000 at the right front of the garage with a tall bench and cabinets on the wall. I have 19 feet of wall to use but I would like to keep everything within 2 feet deep as I then can park My pickup in their with LOML's van.

I have in addition to the BT3000, 1950's Craftsman 6 1/8 in Jointer, going to use My Delta 13" Planer, would like to make a tri-spin with bench grinder and Ryobi Benchtop Oscillating Sander, also Central Pneumatic 2 HP Dust Collector, Craftsman Benchtop Drill press, Router table is now in BT300, so no problem there. I have a nice office in the garage and I am putting My Scroll saw in there. I have a multitude of hand tools and have 8 assorted wall cabinets to put them in.

You see My problems, the least of which is storage for materials. I am not in a big hurry to move as I still own the other property, I am using it as a rental. Had to move as LOML cannot use any stairs anymore.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I believe it was Shop Notes that has the special publication called "The Complete Small Shop" or something like that. They had just such as one wall workshop...

Not sure about the parking the pickup in the garage thing. Even dead empty my truck won't fit in my garage...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Ryobi BT3000

I have set up some cabinets beside My side of the garage and if I keep everything to the side I can fit My Ford Ranger in.

I will check My back issues of "Shopnotes".

Bill

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Bill,
        Good to see you online again! Missed seeing your posts here. I am kinda going through something similar with an over abundance of things for a small space.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

garage workshop

I don't know how your shop is finished inside ex. (sheet rock walls and ceilings.
          plywood everywhere or just open frame work) but it sounds as if you are going to have to get busy and creative about using overhead storage and doing some
          built ins for cabinets and other storage.

If you make most or all of your machines mobile with casters,you will free up a
          lot of space along the wall(s) that can be utilized for material storage racks,
          bins for cut off small pieces and large sheet storage....these can eat up a ton
          storage area.

In my shop, I have open rafters and stud walls, and I have utilized every bit that I can and made things work, like hanging jigs from overhead hooks,
          dowel storage in the open framework of shelf brackets and so on. I bought
          some heavy duty file cabinets and put casters under them for mobility...you would be surprised at what can be put in those things! Give some of these ideas a try, they might work in your situation as well.

Comment

• DUD
            Royal Jester
            • Dec 2002
            • Ryobi BT3000

I have finished ceilings and exterior siding, 4 X 8 sheets, on all the walls. It is a 10 foot ceiling and I thought about tying on to the trusses and hanging material overhead. Bill

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

are trusses designed to support hanging loads?
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• DUD
                Royal Jester
                • Dec 2002
                • Ryobi BT3000

Probably not, but I believe if I spread the weight out enough it might work. Bill

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by DUD
                  Probably not, but I believe if I spread the weight out enough it might work. Bill
                  I was told that if you go to the top of the truss it will hold more weight. Your added weight becomes part of the roof load and as long as it doesn't snow you should be good. Hooking on to the bottom you risk pulling the bottom off of the truss and having every thing fall in on you. I understand that the bottom of the truss is only designed to hold the weight of the ceiling material and lights.

I have seen guys jump up and grab the bottom of a truss in a garage and have the bottom 2x4 pull off of the truss. These were made of 2x and nailing plates.

Perhaps someone who actually knows will enlighten us further.

Bill
                  Honest, I didn't break it, it just fell apart!

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Bill,

Glad to see you back.

I have a 10' ceiling in my garage shop. I hang up a number of small tools close to the ceiling, on pegs. I hang a scroll saw, bench grinder, 1" belt sander, miter trimmer, HF sharpener and a dovetail jig.

They are all mounted on an over sized board that I can clamp to various surfaces. The pegs are hand made using a 1" dowel and a scrap of 3/4" ply.

No comments on my pegs!!

I drill a slightly larger hole, at the same angle in the mounting board.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• DUD
                      Royal Jester
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Bill and Steve, I now have several more ideas to work with, Still unsure of the direction to take. If I didn't want to park in the garage part of the time, I would just set My side up more or less permanent. I am going to try to coexist with Her parking Her van in one side and My shop and My Ranger pickup at least part of the time in My half.

I am sure that My BT3000, Jointer, Dust collector, will be on wheels, some will be mounted to roll out cabinets, and I may have to store some.

Keep the ideas coming, Bill

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Bill,

It is so great to se you back, man did I miss you. Let us know when you're taking a break, I was really starting to worry about you.

Tomorrow, I see if I can find the issue of Workbench you're looking for. I got quite a few years accumulation of them.

Again, good to see you back with us.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

Bill,
                          I thought this was pretty impressive

It's in Fine Woodworking #167.
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• DUD
                            Royal Jester
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Ryobi BT3000

It is an impressive shop on wheels, maybe mine will look similar. The "Workbench" I am using for ideas is October 2006, I have it in hand, also looking to marry those ideas with "Shopnotes" Vol 19 Issue 109 which My Wife found today.

One of the reasons to use used kitchen cabinets at least in the overhead is I have several feet of them taken from a kitchen remodel for My Brother. I am thinking to start My BT3000 on the inside and cabinets above, then one of the Shopnotes cabinets with Jointer underneath, from there I'm still toying with ideas.

If I can keep the exposure of cabinets and equipment from coming out from the wall 24 inches or less, My Ranger will fit. I know this will be difficult but that is what My intentions are. Bruce I'm glad to be back. Bill

Comment

• scmhogg
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000

Bill,

When I bought my house over 20 years ago, I had kitchen type cabinets installed on both side of our garage. I never got full use of the 24" deep cabinets, until I installed trays on bottom mounted single ball bearing runners, that I bought from Rockler.

Steve
                              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...