X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I was very close to picking up the little green DC unit from HF on Saturday, but it was $20 more than I thought, and only $10 off normal. Knowing what I do about HF, I know it'll come back around cheaper. Kicking around mounting it on the outside of the shed and routing it inside where I need it. I would make a cabinet with shingles to keep the weather out. Still considering. Seems the HF one rates near enough to the Rockler one to justify taking a flyer and potentially saving $100.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
      1.25" for vacuum, 2.5" for ?? and 4" for DC.

I was looking around at Rockler the other day and trying to figure out what the middle size is for. Everything for a vac has to step up to the 2.5" size for some reason.

Like my router table port. Made for 2.5". I have an adapter to step it down so I can use the vacuum. I assume this is because my vac doesn't have enough juice to pull through 2.5" tube?

And as for ports, is it safe to go with the 2.5" ports and step up or down with adapters either way?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to figure out which way I should go.

I have a couple of Vacs. One has a 2.5" port and 2.5" hose.
      The other has a 2.5" vacuum port and came with a 1.25" hose with a 2.5" fitting. Its not a super powerful vac but it works much better with a replacement 2.5" hose which fits. less flow restriction and lot less likely to plug up the hose. I only use the smaller hose when i need somehing more flexible, less bulky, and for wet jobs.

I use one swapping the hose between the bandsaw (which makes a lot of fines) and the drill press which makes a lot of chips and or dust.

The other I use with my jointer.

And then I have a HF DC with a pleated paper filter with one or two 4" hoses which I use with the planer (one hose) and the table saw (two hoses).
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

As time progresses, I think more and more about what I want to do with my shop. And as I start to look closer, I find that this is still one area I'm deficient in. I've dismissed the HF 2hp DC up until this point due to the size, but I'm starting to think it might be to important to do so any more. I don't have the room for it in my shop right now, considering all the other junk that has to coexist in there. But it's very possible that with relocating the Christmas decorations starting in late November, that I might just be able to find a 2x3' section of floor and wall for it. Especially with the shorter height a Wynn filter would bring. That was a huge concern of mine as well (height listed on the HF site).

I was intrigued when I saw a post by dbhost on another site that suggested running the DC and tools on the same circuit would work. I'm interested in if that would remain true running it and a tool on an extension cord. I think I'm currently using a 12ga 75' cord.

This is what I'm most interested in - the actual ability to work. It's useless if it doesn't. Well, almost. I was considering using a second run of cord from a second circuit to power the Shop Vac. But it would be nice if I didn't have to, or I could use it for something else.

The Shop Vac is working well as the sheriff of dust and debris from my Kreg Jig and the router, but am I wrong to think it won't do well hooked up to my newly acquired dust chute for the AP1300? I did some planing the other day outside and the huge pieces of maple were impressive. The purpleheart put out much finer debris.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

The Shop Vac is working well as the sheriff of dust and debris from my Kreg Jig and the router, but am I wrong to think it won't do well hooked up to my newly acquired dust chute for the AP1300? I did some planing the other day outside and the huge pieces of maple were impressive. The purpleheart put out much finer debris.
          I've had pretty good luck with a ShopVac and a Thien separator. My Rigid planer has both a 4" and 2 1/2" dust port. I run 2 1/2" flex hose from the planer to the separator, then to the vac. I have to keep the hose from the planer to the separator short and relatively straight, but then it doesn't clog if I don't take too big of a cut. For a short time I had the hose run directly to the ShopVac and it took about 10 minutes to fill the vac.

Some day I'll have the money/power/time to put in a real DC.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

...I'm interested in if that would remain true running it and a tool on an extension cord. I think I'm currently using a 12ga 75' cord...The Shop Vac is working well as the sheriff of dust and debris from my Kreg Jig and the router, but am I wrong to think it won't do well hooked up to my newly acquired dust chute for the AP1300?
            I've converted all my extension cords to 10g - but 30 ft max, and had no issues running my shopvac (this one) and my 21829 on that line at the same time - but that cord was hooked up to a dedicated 20amp circuit. I'm not an electrician (but some here are and will post), but I'd recommend shortening the run and going up a gauge on your cord, if possible.

I own the AP1301, so not sure if the chip hood is the same as the AP1300, but when using it with my aforementioned shopvac, I had no issues pulling the chips with that.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Shortening the run is physically impossible, unfortunately.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I was intrigued when I saw a post by dbhost on another site that suggested running the DC and tools on the same circuit would work. I'm interested in if that would remain true running it and a tool on an extension cord. I think I'm currently using a 12ga 75' cord.

it's probably not practical or doable.
                A tool draws a few amps idling and then up to maximum nameplate amps when working hard - e.g. making a deep rip, 1/8" planing job, etc.
                But a DC is working at maximum capacity (e.g. moving air) continuously when on and draws near the nameplate amps.

So most DC's in the 750-1000-1500 claimed CFM range will draw 12-15 or more amps running. You certainly will be at high risk of popping breakers when trying to run the DC + power tool on one 15 or even 20A circuit esp. when trying to cut anything halfway difficult.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

It IS possible, but not terribly smart...

I have a single 20 amp circuit in my shop at this time. I run a 50' 12 ga extension cord to the various tools in use, and plug the DC directly in to the circuit. I start up the DC, and let it get up to speed, THEN I start up the other tool, table saw, band saw, lathe, router or whatever, and go with it... It works, more or less, I have tripped the breaker more than once doing this... There is a HUGE reason that not many non shop related projects are getting completed these days... I am at the point now where I NEED a 60 amp sub panel to run my shop aside from lighting... 20 amps to the DC, 20 amp circuit for tool in use, and 20 amps for climate control such as heat or A/C...

You may recall that a while back I was fussing my BT was slowing down when cutting. It runs fine when it is the only thing running on the circuit. (hence the giant pile of sawdust behind the saw...)

FWIW, I have stopped doing the stupid overloading thing. I know HF doesn't call it good, but I run an extension cord to the DC from the dryer outlet in the utility room which is on a dedicated circuit. I am fine until LOML figures out what I am doing...

I do NOT recommend you do what I did, it was and remains a bad idea...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    ... I am fine until LOML figures out what I am doing...

I do NOT recommend you do what I did, it was and remains a bad idea...
                    But she's only 5' tall...
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Here's a chart of extension cord lengths and max current: http://www.machinetoolhelp.com/misc/...rdlengths.html

Looks like 75 feet of #12 is limited to about 10.5 amps.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BobSch
                        Here's a chart of extension cord lengths and max current: http://www.machinetoolhelp.com/misc/...rdlengths.html

Looks like 75 feet of #12 is limited to about 10.5 amps.
                        By that chart I must have a 50' cord, or the saw wouldn't work. I'll measure tomorrow.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Check out these wire gauge calculators:
                          http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html
                          http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/wire_...alculator.html

Plug in your length and amperage parameters, it tells you the gauge.

Looks like 75' cord with any hope of maintaining 20 amps is #8. I found #8 at about $2.60/ft; 100' coil on ebay for $165.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

And that is just extension cord length. To get some real calculations you also need to take into account the distance from your main panel, and the wire size for that run too. Most residential wiring isn't 10 ga.

With long runs of wire there is a drop in voltage, which will cause a bigger amperage load to be pulled.
                            Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

It's been right at a year, and time to revisit this thread.

My Shop Vac and separator have been doing well up to this point, but I've run into a major problem with the planer. I will be doing all my planing inside from now on (unless I build a patio), and the chips from the planer have become a real mess. I have it hooked up to the aforementioned solution on a separate extension and circuit, and it clogs up the port on the tool itself. Then chips come shooting out the front onto the floor and material being planed. That leaves indentations on the planed board on the other side leaving an additional step before using the material.

I thought about it again when I went and looked at the clearance section of Lowe's today, where they had another unit with about double the HP. I also was enamored with the Kobalt wall-mount unit. Unfortunately the listed specs on these units don't seem to be what I need.

Mine: 143CFM, 57 inches of pressure
                              Clearance SV: 180CFM, 63 inches
                              Kobalt: 160CFM, 68 inches

One benefit of the Kobalt is that is has a 20-ft hose, so I could actually mount it on the wall. It would reach everything. It also has a remote on the end of the hose.

I've longed over the HF 2HP unit for awhile, but there's absolutely no room left in the shop for it. I was hoping moving the last bit of non-tools out would do it, but sadly no. Especially not if I want a jointer. The 1HP one, where I could put it on a wall or on the side of the planer is an option. However I'd need to get a bunch of 4" hose, clamps, ports, etc.

I don't know if it's smart to spend that kind of money on one tool. I'm tempted to construct some sort of chute with a bit gentler curve to direct chips out the back and to the side into a bucket. I have a bit of a dust problem at the miter saw as well, but I think I could solve that with a shop vac.

One other note, I do have two of those 3HP Shop Vacs, but I don't think it would make a difference in volume if I could somehow hook both up. The second one is still in the box, as I bought it on a deep discount mainly for the extra hose.

Comment

• cabinetman
                                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                                • Jun 2006
                                • So. Florida
                                • Delta

Here is an interesting write up on static electricity and dust collection.
                                http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Arti...ity/static.htm

Comment

Working...