• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

My workshop is a....

Okay guys and gals, I am trying to get an idea of what sort of workshops folks are working in, and how they have them set up. If the poll doesn't work the choices are...

A.) Dedicated garage (one or two car?)
    B.) Shared garage (one or two car?)
    C.) Dedicated Basement
    D.) Shared Basement
    E.) Dedicated small outbuilding (12x16 or less, please explain).
    F.) Dedicated large outbuilding (Larger than 12x16, please explain).
    G.) Work Trailer.
    H.) Dedicated spare bedroom, balcony etc... I.E. apartment dwellers.
    I.) Shared spare bedroom, balcony etc... I.E. apartment dwellers.
    J.) Other. Please explain. (Do you work in a Banana grove in the Bahamas maybe?)
    Dedicated Garage (one or two car?)
    19.20%
    Shared Garage (one or two car?)
    30.91%
    Dedicated basement
    6.32%
    Shared basement
    18.50%
    Dedicated small outbuilding (up to 12x16)
    5.15%
    Shared small outbuilding (up to 12x16)
    1.41%
    Dedicated large outbuilding (over 12x16)
    12.41%
    Shared large outbuilding (over 12x16)
    3.28%
    Dedicated balcony or spare bedroom (I.E. Apartment)
    0.70%
    Shared balcony or spare bedroom (I.E. Apartment)
    0.23%
    Other. (Banana gove, in an old VW bus whatever...)
    1.87%
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

I get to share my basement with the laundry area. This leaves plenty of room to work, but my LOML hates dust. I have to be careful not to be too dusty.
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I voted dedicated large outbuilding, but that's not quite true yet. I have teh building, a 16x26 (approx) detached garage with the old style sliding barn doors, not overhead, so parking in it would not be as simple. But, currently there is no electrical service out there, so the larger power tools are still in the basement. It is also not quite dedicated, but it is only shared with garden storage, so it's pretty close. The original plan was to use a section of the basement, but I got to move to the garage for dust and noise control reasons, not a bad deal. Now I just need to get power out there and fix it up a bit more (replace some broken windows....)

Comment

• catta12
        Established Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Reno, NV
        • BTS20R

Shared 2 car garage for me. My pickup stays outside so that I get half and around the edges. I can occasionally negotiate with LOML for visiting rights to the other half for awhile if I am working on a bigger project. We also have a chest freezer and other stuff stored in the garage as well such as camping and fishing gear. And of course Christmas decorations.

Don't forget that some are also lucky enough to have 3 car storage sheds, err... garages.
        If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I spaced one out. I would LOVE to have my brothers garage. His is a regular wide 2 car garage, mine is narrow, barely 18", where his is something like 22', but it is the depth that wows me... 22' deep in the main section, and one bay's worth where it bumps back another 18' to the back side of the house... Something like an added 10x18' space... He does silly things like keep a ski boat and his wife's car in there...

Mine is a shared 2 car garage. that shares space with a vast assortment of camping / hunting / fishing gear including a 16' tripper canoe, not to mention lawn & garden equipment, bicycles, BBQ equipment. (I take my BBQ quite seriously... No rust on my New Braunfels Smoker please...).

I also use the space for staging construction materials for various home improvement projects. Right now I have stacks of Pressure Treated 2x4s, 4x4s, Cedar 1x8s, and Cedar 5/8"x6"x6' dog ear pickets to build 120 feet of hurricane Ike damaged (see blown out) fencing... I still haven't been able to get a tree service in to stump grid what helped the storm take my fence out...)

To complicate things further, I also have temporary storage for certain brewing supplies (I have a trash can filled with water, sanitizer, and recappable beer bottles soaking in there right now...). Those will get finished up, and packed away as soon as I can get boxes from the brewers guild...

Did I also mention LOML is using the garage for staging her stuff that we moved out of her folks place when we got married? The process of de-bacheloring my house is taking a LONG time...

So those guys that ooh and ahhh over a 2 car garage shop like mine, a word of advice. Pick a small shed and roll your stuff outside to work. I am crammed into less than 10x12 effectively...
          Last edited by dbhost; 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

I have a shared 24x18 outbuilding. I have my 4wheeler parked in it when not working plus 1.5tons of wood pellets for the house and shop stove.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

I have a single car garage that is under the house, off the basement. It was shared with all the outside stuff like bikes and camping gear, but once I got the shed under the steps, I managed to get a little more room. Like any vacuum though, the space soon filled. I don't think any reasonable sized shop would be big enough for long.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

I am allowed 1/3 of our three car garage. As the single door isn't used I have additional wall space. Plus, the finished ceiling is over 10' high. Could I use more space..you betcha.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by dbhost
                  His is a regular wide 2 car garage, mine is narrow, barely 18"
                  WOW! That is narrow! Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

I share a basement, and have come to the conclusion that even if I didn't share it, there would not be enough room.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm still in a shared two car garage. I had plans for a 60 x 30 building, but when I went to get the permit, the county couldn't find the property lines. It turned out to be a survey error and we got it resolved last year, but then the economy happened, LOML totaled her truck, I test drove a brief stint of unemployment, and the shop savings were gone. I do have a hole filled with weeds where the foundation is supposed to be so technically it is under construction.

The garage is oversized at 28 x 28, insulated and heated, so it is pretty usable.
                    Chr's

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

There was no category to match my setup, which is a shared three-car garage, with 2/3 dedicated to shop, and movable machinery that can be relocated to the third bay when and if I need the extra room to work.

Comment

• thestinker
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

2 car. There is a little bit of stuff stored in there, but thats all mine also and its all home improvement related stuff. So I'm calling it dedicated.
                        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

10X12 with a 9X9 deck. The BT3, Jointer Planer and SCMS are against the wall in the 2 car garage. The shop has the Lathe, Bandsaw, Drill Press, Router Table and one of Tom Clarks 8ft. benches with 18 drawers and a 5ft free standing work bench with the pancake compressor and shop vac underneath and 2 small cabinets agains the wall.

Tom

Comment

• Zenaca
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Idaho

I have a 25'X25' detached "garage" that the only time a car is in it is if it is being repaired! When we bought the house i stipulated that it would be MY SHOP and henceforth not be refered to as "the garage".

The lathe , bandsaw, floor drill press and a cabinet for lathe stuff and pen kit things sits in one corner next to the Pellet stove and on the oppisite wall is the wood rack and bench drill press and sanding station with a couple cabinets above for consumibles like spray finishes ,spray paint, various oils and sand paper.

The tablesaw . jointer ,planer and homemade router table are on mobile bases.

In the corner by the roll up door is my tool boxes, torch set , welder and compressor.

And it is still not nearly big enough!!!

I forgot the Rockwell/Delta cast iron radial armsaw that the neighbor gave me. He said if i could load it i could have it i did but the jewls now reside in my socks! I built a small cabinet out of 7/8 inch osb on a mobile base for it.

The reason he was getting rid of it was when he plugged it in and turned it on it barly turned. It had a 110 plug on it but was wired for 220 i dont have 220 in the shop yet so i rewired it for110 runs fine! I asked him if he wanted it back he said no as he really didnt do wood work any way he is a welder . So when i need welding he does it and when he needs some wood worked on i do it , kinda a barter thing.

Bud
                            Last edited by Zenaca; 05-28-2009, 06:03 PM. Reason: left somthing out

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I tagged 2 car garage on the poll but that is a 1/2 truth. I couldn't use that and Other. 26 x32 dedicated garage... 2/3 of 1/2 basement behind that with used space or around 20 x 35.

Comment

Working...