• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

large dedicated although that's not quite the whole story. Mine is finished space in one end of an out building ~19' x 75' with the shop 19x21 IIRC. I share it with my workdesk and a small amount of storage about 8' of wall plus a shop fridge. Also includes a mechanics roll-away box. Only access is by a 32?" door. Wood stove near one corner provides for cold weather enjoyment. Benchs along two walls but they are mostly heaped with stuff.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Two car garage with 2 cars parked in it full-time unless I'm actually making sawdust. That garage also has the washer/dryer, water heater, and a whole lotta car support tools & parts too.

It's actually slightly larger than a normal 2-car garage; one wall is pushed out about 2 feet compared to a regulation 2-car garage. That's where the workbench, washer/dryer, water heater, live. Back wall is storage cabinets and the "big" tools on wheels: BT3, welder, compressor, shop vac, etc. DW733 planer lives on a roll-around wood storage cabinet that just fits between the cabinets and a parked hatchback car. It wouldn't fit behind a full-sized car.

mpc

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

You folks are great! Lots of ideas and situations I hadn't thought of, and quite a few I had...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• kevincan
          Established Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Central Illinois
          • Craftsman 21829

My shop is in a shared garage. Most of the time (always in the winter) there are 2 cars in the garage. The garage is 26' x 32'. The shop is in the back part of the garage and I have about 12' x 26' of space. Most of my tools are mobile and I can park the cars outside and get more room if I need it.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

9 x 10 shed, packed to the gills with tools, and a 12 x 16 work deck.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I answered dedicated large building, but does it count if I am still building it? Otherwise, I would have to answer shared basement.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• tropicaffair
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2003
                • Gloucester, MA, USA.

I selected other because even though it is separate from the house and dedicated as a shop it is not a building. I converted an old 28 foot long construction office trailer into a shop. The interior width is 7'-6" no matter how you cut it so I have learned to think in a linear way when dealing with work flow.
                Last edited by tropicaffair; 05-29-2009, 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
                Russell

Comment

• cork58
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                  • BT3000

I was to get 40X40 but the horses got 16. I ended up with 24X40. Building a shed this year to get the garden tractor, tiller and a few others out of my way. Seems like no matter what size you have it is never enought.
                  Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Sawatzky
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • CA
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Mine is a two car garage about 20x20. Half if it is my shop workspace with all of my tools and workbenches. The other half is for plywood storage and our mini van. If I am making dust I just pull out the van and have a whole half of the garage to assemble projects in. While small I really do have a lot of room to work with when the van is pulled out. I try not to store anything that can't be put in the rafters.

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Mine is a dedicated building/shed; 10x12 for the main space and 5x12 addon to the side for wood & storage. The stupidest thing I did was the addon. It's great for storage, but in a brilliant fit of ignorance I didn't build it tall. It's 5'4" at the tallest against the wall. I'm going to knock myself out cold on one of the rafters someday.

Most of the cutting gets done in front. There's a 4x10 plywood deck with a 3x10 concrete flatwork slab that the saw (mobile 21829) gets parked on. I put up a 10x10 awning in the summer to keep the Texas sun from baking me to a cinder. I used to just follow the shade of the trees in the yard before I got the awning.
                      Erik

Comment

• Len
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Cary, NC
                        • BT3000

One of these days it will be a dedicated 1 car garage. But for now about 70% of it is filled with my daughter's & grandkids stuff until they get a bigger place.

Len

Comment

• MilDoc

Dedicated 1-car garage, separate from the house. Thinking about moving one wall out 4 feet though.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Small 10' x 20' out building.

And that's too small for me. B4 having the heart problems a while back, was starting the foundation to expand it to 20' x 20'. At least I got the footer down!

Comment

• wardprobst
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22811

Could not answer the poll as I have a couple of shop areas- one is 22 x 25 x 9 ID the other is 20 x 30 x 8 rising to 11 ID at the ridge. Having come out of a 19 x 10 x 8 ID, I'm grateful. Pianos take up a lot of room whether disassembled or not. Though I'm short the one thing I appreciate the most is the higher ceilings. I should have vaulted the ceiling on the first shop but budget did not allow. If you can get extra height, take it!
                              My 2 cents,
                              DP
                              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Russell, NY, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3000

A 26' x 24' with one bay for car; overhead door. Car stays out under carport all summer and winter days unless its a blizzard; snowblower tractor lives inside in winter. All big tools except drill press & bandsaw are on castors. Lots of room mostly, just have to put stuff away if I need to bring the car in. No matter how big you start, its NEVER enough room!!
                                RuffSawn
                                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...