X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Looking pretty good, David. Wish I had room for a building like that instead of being stuck with half a garage.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto what Bob said....what is your heating/cooling for the shop going to be?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
        If David burns his mistakes and uses a heat pump to heat the pool and cool the shop the costs should be rather minimal.

Looking good, I like the red, adds a nice touch.

Bill, a bit envious.

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          If David burns his mistakes and uses a heat pump to heat the pool and cool the shop the costs should be rather minimal.

Looking good, I like the red, adds a nice touch.

Bill, a bit envious.
          Does that make him a dedicated ecologist or a sloppy woodworker?
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Looking really good. I am still wondering if you would have been better off putting up the building from scratch. You put an awful lot of time, energy, and finances into moving this thing... I have a sneaking suspicion that it will all be worth it when you are done though...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Not sure yet. Probably small A/C unit for cooling. Don't need to worry about cooling till next year anyway. Heat may be something like a small wood stove -I only need it when I am out there doing glue-ups or finishing. Possibly a combo heat/cool unit. I did wire in some #10 for such a unit just in case. Nothing as fancy as forced air. I worked in an unheated shop for several years and can survive just fine. I would be worried about glueups and finishing in winter obviously.

As for moving vs building from scratch, in the end the cost is just about a wash. It might have been a little cheaper from scratch but not much. It would not have happened any quicker. The most important thing though, is if I'd said 'Honey I want to build a shop" th answer would have been "No!". Instead what I got back in March was "look at this shop on Craigslist. Go check it out and if you think it is a good deal and you can do it, then buy it". That, as the commercials say, is priceless.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                As for moving vs building from scratch, in the end the cost is just about a wash. It might have been a little cheaper from scratch but not much. It would not have happened any quicker. The most important thing though, is if I'd said 'Honey I want to build a shop" th answer would have been "No!". Instead what I got back in March was "look at this shop on Craigslist. Go check it out and if you think it is a good deal and you can do it, then buy it". That, as the commercials say, is priceless.
                Gotcha... My wife is the opposite. I have actually had opportunities to take down in full sections the EXACT building I want, FREE. (12x16 gambrel mini barn, 8 ft sidwalls, loft etc...) and she has said no, she wants me to go fully new... Worst part about it is, if I can prove the building was elsewhere, and moved on site, then it would be considered "portable" and not subject to permits, or HOA approval... At that point it's just a big wooden box. Not unlike the small plastic sheds and deck boxes...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Oh it is less the old vs new, as it is getting this building was her idea, not mine. That is the important part. Of course now she is talking about a garage.... As she puts it "Well now you know how to build a building".

So build the building at your parents place, then move it to yours. Then it is portable....
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
                    As she puts it "Well now you know how to build a building".
                    The experience was obviously invaluable. Disassembling/moving/reassembling that structure was probably the equiv. of a year or two of classes at a technical college.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
                      The experience was obviously invaluable. Disassembling/moving/reassembling that structure was probably the equiv. of a year or two of classes at a technical college.
                      Oh believe me, I don't discount it. Before this I 'knew' how to build a building. Now I KNOW how to build one.
                      David

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, you so crazy....

what kinda finish you thinking of using with an open flame in the winter?

certainly not lacquer or shellac sprayed right,
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Ceiling is finished and the inside is painted. 4+ gallons of primer and 4 gallons of paint. That OSB is thirsty stuff. It could probably stand another coat but with my MIL's issues I am under a time crunch. Besides which, it is a shop. In the pic looking back towards the doors, sharp eyes will spot a minor oopsie.

And the one of the skylights. Had to just redo those and trimmed around them. I did not trim around the windows or doors yet. First is time, second is I am not sure where cabinets are going to end up and may not need trim around some of the windows. I am not sure what is on that bare wood just under the skylights, some sort of sealer or something. Whatever it is, the primer didn't want to stick very well so I wiped it off.
                          David

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

David,

Did you decide if you are going to put A/C or anything in there? If not you should install gable vents of some kind otherwise it is going to get hot as **** in there during the summer. Hindsight is 20/20 on this

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

LOL, you so crazy....

what kinda finish you thinking of using with an open flame in the winter?

certainly not lacquer or shellac sprayed right,
                              Nope, nothing sprayed. I mostly do wipe on anyway.

Mike, not sure about the A/C other than I will wait till next year to worry about it. As for gable vents, good idea. Maybe I can hang a fan up there. It was actually not that bad this summer while I was working on the building. It is in the shade already. I was thinking just open the doors and one window and run a big fan. Now Habitat did have a monster 3' fan already in a cage.... That would move a ton of air.
                              David

Comment

• crokett
                                The Full Monte
                                • Jan 2003
                                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3000

I moved the stuff out there two weekends ago and made a lot of progress yesterday. Didn't get out there much last week or over the weekend. I will finish things up this week at night. Mostly it is put things away and then finish the wiring. I will add 4 more 4' florescent fixtures once I install the receptacles in the ceiling. One light is lower because that is where I was planning to put the bench but changed my mind. Those lights are heavy and it doesn't bother me enough to get up there and shorten the chains.

North wall. This will be where most of the storage is. I kept the cabinets I had from the basement. A lot came with the shop but most of them were cheap and didn't survive being removed. He used glue+finish nails to hang them.

Looking back at the doors. The shelf over the doors came with the shop. I will put stuff up there that I rarely need. I also plan to put a lumber rack of sorts in the diagonal braces holding it up. A fair bit of the stuff still on the floor will go up there but I need to finish some wiring before I put stuff in front of it. The big wood ladder will get hung on a hoist. That kitchen table is going to get taken apart and salvaged. Top and apron will become a cabinet/face frame. Legs will be used as practice turning stock I think.

Looking at the left (west) wall. I think I am going to move the DP to the other side onto a cabinet that has my sander on it. That way the sander can ride on the red cabinet and fit under the uppers on this wall. I can then put the miter saw where the DP is now and use the cabinet on the end wall for outfeed support. The jointer will also go over here since it fits under the cabinets too.
                                Last edited by crokett; 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM.
                                David

Comment

Working...