• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

New Shop Diary - Updated 13 October 2009

As I post updates I will try to remember to change the date in the thread title. I will add new posts with the updates.

Well the beams are set. I beat the rain by a bit today. I was hoping to have this done last weekend so I could start moving the floor sections on and stitching them back together. Oh well. Life Happens. One of the piers is off a little. I started digging at 8' center and found some gravel. I found where the runoff is for my drywell.

Last edited by crokett; 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Lookin' good. When you get it done, you can just move that whole patch of land to my back yard. Thanks.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

It's gonna be great!

Originally posted by Ed62
      Lookin' good. When you get it done, you can just move that whole patch of land to my back yard. Thanks.
      My back yard is closer.
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

David,

How much bearing surface is sitting on those Simpsons?

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

If only I had some photoshop skills. That needs a brass pole.

Looks like you are off to the races, how long do you figure it will take to build the whole thing?
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

It's coming along. I'll bet it will be both your most frustrating and most satisfying project to date.
            - Chris.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Hellrazor
              David,

How much bearing surface is sitting on those Simpsons?
              Uhh.. 6" x 4 per beam, so 24" on each beam. Before I moved the shop it was held up by 6x6 posts on Simpsons on 8' centers. Actually some of the floor sections still have some of the post stubs attached. We were under a time crunch so we just chainsawed the 6x6s.

I have no idea how long to build the whole thing. The first week of May I have some folks coming in to start building. If we can get the walls back up I will be happy. With a tractor I think I can handle the roof sections myself. They aren't all that heavy. I figure middle of June at least to get it dried back in. After that the pressure is off and I can work as I have time. Since it is outside I no longer have to worry about noise.

Chris, I am waiting for the rewards... mostly it has just been frustrating.
              Last edited by crokett; 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I renamed the thread in keeping with the latest trend.

Here are the pictures of what I did today. It was a bit tricky getting the pieces set across the beams because there was no room for the tractor to just set them where they go so I had to load from the side so they were about half way on then push the rest of the way. A smarter man would have realized he could move the stack first, then he'd have room to push with the tractor as opposed to using a breaker bar. I figured it out after the 1st section. I didn't get quite as far as I wanted, but I got further than I expected to. We started getting showered on later in the day. Tomorrow I will finish cutting the flooring back, add the nailers for the new flooring then put that down. I should be able to start putting walls up tomorrow. Between the nails in the flooring and the leveling compound between the layers I am chewing up blades. I am also thinking I will pull the top layer and put it back down rotated 90 degrees to cover the new seams in the bottom layer. It might also be a little stronger that way too.

David

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Updated Progress. The first pic is how I stand the walls up After I get them that high I can push to vertical with dead sticks and fix them in place. My method is to get the wall section flat onto the platform, then sawsall all the nails sticking out of the sill plate. Then I cut about 8" off the top 2x on the top plate and sister a vertical stud as necessary. Then I stand it up and use the come-along to slide it into place. A short block on top spans the splice in the top plate and locks that together. Then I cut the sheathing on the bottom about 12" off the floor so I can nail the sill plate down. At the corners I make a vertical cut so I can nail the corners together.

If it weren't for losing 2 days to rain, the walls would be up and I'd probably have a head start on the roof.

This was progress as of Thursday night:

This was progress as of Friday night. The 24' wall was cut in half to be moved. I had to figure out how to get it on the platform because the tractor could lift half but is not a 4x4 so would get stuck with the weight on the front. I ended up putting down timbers and skidding it, then lifting each end and cribbing it up, then pushing it on the platform. This wall also took the most time because I don't have full access to that side and had to do a lot of tractor dancing.

As of right now I have 2 and 2/3 walls up. The remaining sections should go the quickest and I hope to have the ridge beam set next weekend.

This was all done solo. I was supposed to have help - an out of work buddy but he got hired and had to go to training.
                  Last edited by crokett; 05-10-2009, 01:27 PM.
                  David

Comment

• thestinker
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Looks reall good!! I love all the trees in the background, looks peaceful.

Riley
                    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Outstanding work. I can't believe you're getting it done alone.

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

No pics today, rain came and I had to scramble to tarp it but all 4 walls are up, header has been set over the doors. Windows are in. It looks really spiffy just by adding windows. I wanted to get the ridge beam up but couldn't find it. We sectioned it to get it home and my guess is it was used for blocking during transport and didn't make it off my dad's trailer. I also had to cut new pieces for one half of one of the gable ends. Somehow they disappeared. I got more lumber tonight and will put the ridge beam up tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. I also put the siding back on that was removed for transport. That cement board is a PITA. Heavy and tough to nail. Most of it got wrecked on the gables and I am thinking I will just reside with vinyl on them.
                        David

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
                          I wanted to get the ridge beam up but couldn't find it.
                          You have to be careful with ridge beams. If you had put it in your pocket, you'd have known where it was. But it sounds like you're making headway.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• thestinker
                            • Oct 2005
                            • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

How big is the shop going to be? I didn't see where you had it listed any where.
                            Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Ed, These are 2x8s, 12' long. There are a limited number of places they can be (or even fit). I'll be danged if I can find em.

Stinker, The shop is 16x24. There is also an attached screen porch that may or may not go in this summer. Here is a pic before I took it down:

David

Comment

Working...