X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

16x 24 is a good sized shop. Have you considered taking in the screen porch for more room inside? What you have is bigger than mine, it just seems like it could never be too big.

Riley
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I thought about closing in the porch and using it as a finishing room but my wife has already said it will be very nice to have a screened porch out by the pool.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Well, in order to have the wife happy, looks like you will be forgoing the finishing room...bummer man
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

crokett, did you say that you sectioned the ridge beam to get it home? If that is the case, look no further than to the nearest BORG. You can scrap together the ridge beam, but you'd be asking for trouble. For safety sake go get a couple of new 2x8 16' imho.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I went to Lowes last night and picked up 2 12foot 2x8s. Between mending plates and a 2x4 on the bottom edge straddling the splice I think it will work just fine. When we took the shop down, he had the last 6' or so of the ridge beam spliced. I was also thinking about a plywood gusset but that would screw up the length on the rafters.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

The roof has been reframed. After getting two sections up whole and taking most of the day at it Monday I decided to just cut the sheathing off the rafters and reframe everything. I did most of that today - have two more rafters on one gable end and the rafter ties and then I am ready for sheathing.

Outside and inside pics:

David

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Framing goes just that much easier.....when you do it from scratch!
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Well the roof is on and tarpaper is on. I also installed the skylights so no more tarp! I was losing 20 minutes or so on each end of the day dealing with the tarp. Next weekend I will finish out the gable ends, fix some of the siding where it was damaged and start caulking. I will take a break from the big stuff for a few weekends, then I start the porch.

It took about 4 days to reframe and put the sheathing back on. I have some new neighbors who are building a house. I drive past it every day. The crew framed the roof and had it shingled in 2. But then I carried every thing that went up there up a ladder. After finishing this roof I am glad I have the job I do. This was one of the toughest things I've done in a long time. Forgot to mention - the side you are looking at is where the screened porch goes. I left the roofing felt long and lapped it over the rafters to give the wall some protection until I get the rest of the roof up. Then the felt will overlap what I put on the porch roof.

Last edited by crokett; 06-14-2009, 08:43 PM.
                  David

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

A screened in porch!? Oh, man, that is going to be cool! Add a nast ol' recliner and small refrigerator and I'd be in hog heaven.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

I think it looks fantastic. Really coming together. I give you lots of credit for undertaking a very enthusiastic project (especially being a young father) and getting so far, so fast.

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Well as of today I have officially been working on the shop for two months, if you don't count setting the footings and beams.

Here is current progress. I rebuilt the door casings and installed most of the trim. I still have one gable end, the soffits and piece of corner trim that I can't find. I also poured the footings, set the posts and installed the front porch/deck/whatever. I need to speak with the contractor. I covered most of the gaps and there was some shimming here and there but will still need some caulk for that trim.

Next weekend I plan to start rebuilding the screened porch.

David

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

It looks like you're coming along pretty well, David. But if you didn't have those two chairs there, you'd probably be done.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Ed62
                            It looks like you're coming along pretty well, David. But if you didn't have those two chairs there, you'd probably be done.

Ed
                            He lost his saw horses and those are the replacements. I know... I thought it was a fishy story too

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Ed62

Ed
                              Actually Ed, believe it or not I haven't sat in them since they were moved there. Now that the front porch is on I might move one up there though. What was tough was working up on the roof and looking down at the shimmering clear pool....
                              David

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                                Actually Ed, believe it or not I haven't sat in them since they were moved there. Now that the front porch is on I might move one up there though. What was tough was working up on the roof and looking down at the shimmering clear pool....
                                pool
                                pul
                                –noun
                                1. a small body of standing water; pond.
                                2. a still, deep place in a stream.
                                3. any small collection of liquid on a surface: a pool of blood.
                                4. a puddle.
                                5. swimming pool.
                                6. A large hole in the ground in which to throw large sums of money.
                                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...