• Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009
    • Medina, OH
    • Sears 315.228110

Post Up Pictures Of Your Shop

I need inspiration for turning my smaller two car garage into a functional shop.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Dave's Workshop Link.

You can check out my shop tour web page. My thought process is evolving with it, but you get the idea...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by brubakes
      I need inspiration for turning my smaller two car garage into a functional shop.
      Hi there Brubakes, my shop is in my 2 car garage and must also function as a working garage for our 2 cars. All tools are on wheels and the perimeter of the shop actas a storage for them. Once the cars are out everything get wheeled into place.

Are you going to be doing the same or will you be able to take over the whole space?

There is a pretty extensive thread thats exists with workshop pics its called:

Let's see some garage/workshop pics

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39663

Its probably worth a read of this thread and then adding to it if necessary.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

I am using 1/2 of a two car garage. As we only have 1 car the space is dedicated as shop only. I do have all of the stationary tools on mobile bases so they can be moved as necessary.
        Pictures here: www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?p=374449
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/keiths-w...p-of-the-week/

Only change since then is this somewhat nicer planer stand....

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=42219
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would but I can't find it under all that junk.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Proposed layout:

All stationary tools will be on mobile bases except the lathe, though it eventually will be as well. This is a 20' x 20' space. Long area on the top right is for storing rough lumber. Long area on the right side is for cabinets and counters. There will be some small cabinets along the bottom side where most of the stationary tools are located. Have not figured out where to put the clamp rack just yet. I used the Grizzly Industrial design tool to do this and included their 3 HP cyclone though I will probably go with a much smaller Delta dust collector.

I need an assembly table and will probably build some folding infeed and outfeed supports for the TS

The double doors on the left open out to a concrete pad so I can cut sheets of plywood lengthwise.

The garage is on top of the shop (and there's another room on top of the garage) and for various reasons, headroom is limited to just over 7.5 feet in the middle. We wish we could have allocated more space to this part of the house but it's at Lake Tahoe and there are limits on how large the footprint of a home can be as a fraction of the lot size. It will be heated so I can work in the winter. Wish it was finished already so I could take some photos and get started building stuff.

I think the key is to make sure you can move the large tools around.

Comment

• kirkroy
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Brunswick, MD

I don't know what I'd do with such an expansive space! It should be easy to get things set up with so much room. I'm in a 1 car garage and the space is shared with 2 motorcycles plus bunches of non-woodworking stuff (camping stuff, motorcyle stuff, etc).

Comment

• brubakes
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2009
                  • Medina, OH
                  • Sears 315.228110

I wish I had more space. My 2 garage is barley enough to fit 2 cars in, its very small. I have to come up with some really creative ways for storage and roll out units for the tools.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I keep beating over that idea, but for now, not gonna happen... My garage is a workshop,
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Two car garage.. what are cars.... the trucks and Cherokee is parked outside where they belong. I kinda spilled over into the half basement also but... I did leave a wall to store her junk...

Ain't pretty as some.. everything is pretty much mobile as I spill out into the drive-way on occasion which is not too difficult in Georgia and... it's home quite a few hours a day...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Larrysch
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2008
                        • Idaho
                        • Ridgid

Sarge - I can see why you keep the cars outside - very nice shop - in fact all the shop
                        are great - I guess its not how big it is - but how you use it - my shop is a small
                        24 x 24. I guess that would be a small double car garage. But it looks nothing like
                        you folks. I did not want an extension of my home so no nice cabinets. If I run a saw
                        into mine or do damage - I will just rebuild.
                        Almost all of the tools that you see in the photo's were purchased 6 years ago and have been boxed until I retired and built a shop.

and this is what almost happen to my shop during a major brush fire. My shop is just to
                        the left of the telephone pole - we were lucky to have grass all around the house and shop - and lots of water. No damage - but a lot of folks lost their buildings and corrals. The reason I am taking a photo this far away - is they would not let us into the area - until I ran into one of my fellow officers - and he allowed me to get to my home - and the smell of the smoke was really bad for days after - plus the ash storms from the wind.

Larry

"I do not remember my mistakes - my wife does that for me"

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Hey Larry, just wondering. Is the cat's name Dusty perchance?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice and homey, Larry. Just wait till that plywood takes on some patina from dust.. grit.. grime.. etc. Then things will be really cozy out there to the point you might want to just move in. My wife opens the door to the stairs leading down below and sits a plate of food on the landing just outside for me to pick-up. And if she forgets or is out... I keep a stock of beenie weenies.. spam.. etc. down there until the next meal shows up.

And of course I do go upstairs on Thanks-giving and Xmas.

Comment

• twistsol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My two car garage / shop is here

http://www.twistsol.com/Site/Twistso...Shop_Tour.html

The reality still doesn't quite match the plan, but it is getting closer.
                              Chr's

Comment

Working...