10x12 workshop layoug ideas and Questions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The storage shed would be temporary workshop if the shop goes there. The long term goal is to wait out this recession / depression thing if at all possible, and sell the house in favor of something out in the country, away from the coast by at least 100 miles... At the closest I would want to be is out where Loring is at, and honestly, that is closer than I want to be... I am thinking Schulenberg, New Branfels area, or even San Antonio... LOML agrees, acreage is where it's at...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

Yep, you got the concept right. This cart is a craftsman project center which comes with a 1/2" MDF insert worktop. The insert is removeable(hardware storage underneath). I just cut the plywood bases to the same size as the MDF and they fit in the opening so they don't need to be clamped to hold them in place.
      DonHO
      Don

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by DonHo
        Yep, you got the concept right. This cart is a craftsman project center which comes with a 1/2" MDF insert worktop. The insert is removeable(hardware storage underneath). I just cut the plywood bases to the same size as the MDF and they fit in the opening so they don't need to be clamped to hold them in place.
        DonHO
        Hmm...

It would certainly be easier to AC / Heat a small shed than my garage...

My head does these stupid things from time to time...

Another poster up there had the suggestion that the C&D listed that the outbuilding SHOULD be such and such a size, and since there are others in my neighborhood that are bigger, maybe I can talk them into being decent...

I honestly think a 12x16 gambrel roof mini barn would do wonders to my property value. Who knows, maybe I need to take some beers to the HOA president...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, I took a little stroll with the dog this morning, down the bayou, and I am not sure of the street address or exact measurements yet, there is a Tuff Shed Tall Pro Barn, that appears to be a 12x16 floorplan in a yard a little tiny bit bigger than mine... a couple of what appear to be 10x12 gambrel roof mini barns, and plenty of regular gable roof 12x16 and 12x18ish sized sheds...

These things look like they have some, uh, history to them. (More than 10 years old, and need paint...), I am pretty sure they are on Google Earth... I wonder if I can take in the satelite images, I should be able to pull the prints from the county permit office, and get other misc documentation showing that there are plenty of other, much larger outbuildings in the neighborhood...

Heck, my SIL is a Realtor, things are slow for her due to the mortgage problem, I wonder if I can get her to do some document digging for me?

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I talked with a neighbor about his shed, He has a 12x16 mini barn, with a roof height of 10' 4", He has just barely 6' 2" of standing room under the loft. He said the HOA approved it, and has the docs on it... I measured out the actual space my shop is consuming in the garage not including lumber storage (which the loft is perfect for), or the workbench, and I am not even using 10x8. I am sure that will go up when I put the rails / legs on the BT. But for now I need to clear crud out.

With the exception of cutting sheet goods, which I am getting to the point where I can get pretty accurate with a circular saw and straight edge, I don't see any real reason to go much bigger with my foreseeable shop needs, I figure I can built a little patio kind of setup just outside the door with brick pavers so that I have a hard surface to roll whatever machines might need to be rolled out.

Comment

Working...