• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Stupid question about pegboard hooks...

I got a sheet of pegboard hung with 1x2 furring strip holding it off of the wall. The furring strip screwed into the studs, the pegboard screwed into the furring strip....

I am paranoid about jabbing something important with the metal peg board hooks, and went with a couple of 12 packs of pegboard hooks from Lowes, but found that they do not have hooks of sufficient length at my local Lowes.

Does anyone know of any good plastic, heavy duty, longish (at least 4") pegboard pegs that I can use to hang my face shield from?

I am going to pick up 2 more packages of pegs this weekend, and get after finishing up setting the peg board up, then I can post some pics of my wall hangings. LOTS of changes going on in my shop for sure.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Check here for some biggies.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by cabinetman
      Check here for some biggies.
      They have plastic hooks under "Hooks for Stores". Problem is it looks like they sell them in lots of 100.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
        They have plastic hooks under "Hooks for Stores". Problem is it looks like they sell them in lots of 100.

Well, in that case, build a stand and set up a "hook stand" next to the lemonade one.

Those standoff's are available in small quantities at different stores, maybe another box store or a smaller regular hardware store. Store fixture and display suppliers carry a variety of display/storage hardware that is hard to find in the box stores.

I struck gold in my area finding a "used store fixture" supplier. Found great deals on slatwall and peg board hardware. Maybe check the local yellow pages.

Comment

• pecker
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003

There is a brand called Talon sold through the woodworking stores. They don't go quite to 4" though:
          Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

Comment

• mclear6
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Northern NJ

HF peg board 30 piece set

HF has a set that I bought I think it was around 4 bucks on sale/ w/coupon It has a variety of hooks and pegs. I think it comes with 2 - 4" pegs I used to hang up my 2 plastic saw horses from Sears. I installed my peg board this weekend and was satisfied with the assortment that it came with.

Last edited by mclear6; 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

I'm curious about your concern. Metal hooks will not go more than 3/4 inch behind the pegboard. If you've furred it out with a 1X2, I can't see why you'd need to worry about jabbing anything important. Even if you did happen to poke a piece of hot Romex or pressurized PEX, it wouldn't cause a problem, the metal ends are too blunt to pierce electrical insulation.
              - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by docrowan
                I'm curious about your concern. Metal hooks will not go more than 3/4 inch behind the pegboard. If you've furred it out with a 1X2, I can't see why you'd need to worry about jabbing anything important. Even if you did happen to poke a piece of hot Romex or pressurized PEX, it wouldn't cause a problem, the metal ends are too blunt to pierce electrical insulation.
                The anything important is human, not building. Specifically kids in my garage...

As far as the lots of 100 go, I am not adverse to this. I have plans to hang 2 more full sheets of peg board along the outside wall.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

I understand now. By the way, welcome to the forum!
                  - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks...

Actualy, I am not all that new, I just don't post here as much as some of my other forums... At least here I don't get the snob treatment as much...

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

If I didn't say this before, welcome to the site (even though you're not real new). Wish I had some info to give you, but unfortunately, I don't.
                      Originally posted by dbhost
                      At least here I don't get the snob treatment as much...
                      You shouldn't get that at all here. That's a big reason I'm still around.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I like it here. I haven't run into anybody bashing my Ryobi stuff saying how I should have bought Powermatic, or Porter Cable or whatever... I buy the tools that do the best job I can for the budget I have available. I wish I would have gotten the BT3100 or Craftsman 21829, but I can't really complain about my BTS-21. It has been a real solid saw since the day I got it. Never out of square, only problems cutting have been operator induced stupidity...

I am not really finding anything worthwhile as far as plastic hooks are concerned. But the ball end hooks are something I should look into. I am trying to reduce / eliminate any possibility of injury in my shop for myself, my friends, their kids, and my kids to be (with any luck and the good Lord's help...).

The 4x8 behind my workbench isn't a real problem, but the ones I intend on putting on the sides might be... That plan may go away if I find or come up with a shed plan that I can do easily... I want to build a 6x12 mini barn in my back yard to keep my yard tools, camping gear, and BBQ accessories. That should mean only 1 more peg board in the garage, to hold automotive stuff like wiper blades, belts, hoses that I keep for the cars... (I tend to keep cars a LONG time...)

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

The pegboard I have with metal hooks is hung over my benches, so no worries about jabbing body parts. In your case you can get metal hooks with balls on the end, this will blunt your concern about jabbing things a little. the problem is they don't fit through the holes in tool handles.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Not worried about hanging stuff with holes. The holes are big enough...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

ypu can custommake hangars for bigger stuff.

Take a 1x2 about 4 inches long. We'll make it hang vertically, the 2" side against the pegboard.
                              About 1/4" down from the top on the back, put a threaded L-hook into the 1x2, centered. Leave about 1/4" between the back and the "L" of the hook, with the hook pointed up.
                              Now drill a 1/4" hole about 1/2" deep into the back of the 1x2, exactly 3" from the location of the L-hook. Put a piece of 1/4" dowel into this hole, cut it off about 3/8 to 1/2" above the 1x2.

Now you can drill a 1/2" or 3/8" hole or holes into the front of the 1x2, at an angle upwards if you wish. You can put a dowel of any length - 4" to 8" being reasonable into this hole.

Now slip the tip of the L-hook into the pegboard, rotate the 1x2 down so the 1/4" dowel peg enters a hole 3 spaces below the L-hook and you have a pretty solid bracket with a substantial peg. If the L-hook fits too tightly, you can back it out a few turns until it slips into place neatly. (you may have to do this because pegboard comes in thin and thicker weights, like 1/8 and 1/4" I think.) The 1/4" dowel you may have to push in place, but it holds the main shear weight. The L-hook only provides the cantilever and pull-away strength.

The dowels won't be sharp (round off or chamfer the ends if you want) and they can hold alot.

you can make wider ones with multiple L-hooks for supporting much larger stuff. You can use trianghular braces with end caps. I made shelf brackets for my daughters dorm room where they could only use the existing pegboard and not make any holes in the wall. They were 8" deep and for pics and knick-nacks, not books of course.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-04-2008, 01:32 AM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...