• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Fully understand.

I have been looking for such a cord and no luck yet. Best I have found so far is like the one below. Interesting that its 12-3 but they say its only rated at 15A?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...296&lpage=none
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
      Fully understand.

I have been looking for such a cord and no luck yet. Best I have found so far is like the one below. Interesting that its 12-3 but they say its only rated at 15A?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...296&lpage=none
      probably because of the plugs.. the plugs being rated for 15A, the cord can't be rated any higher than the weakest component in the chain.

that plug you show ,ight work.. if you have an 8-ft ceiling then the plugs would be at 6 ft, you should be able to reach. You'll have to rig a strain relief that wraps to the cord and ties to a rafter.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

When I remodeled our catering kitchen, 12 years ago, I added three power drops using the wire mesh strain relief device as shown below.

When used with 12-3 heavy-duty rubber cord and a good female cord-end socket, you can almost suspend your body weight.

I put the sockets at about head height. This arrangement allowed us to plug in our Robot Coupes and 50 qt. mixers anywhere we could find space.

I'm planning on doing this in my new shop this summer.

BTW, some of the larger electrical supply houses stock a cord-end female connector that locks onto the plug. You have to press a button to release the plug. No accidental disconnects in the middle of a rip. DAMHIKT

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6C092
        Attached Files
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Will be off to HD tomorrow to get boxes, cable and outlets. Even though the new circuits will have 12-2 and 20A breakers I am not sure you necessarily need the "T" style 20A outlets unless you have a specific tool that only has that type of plug. I have yet to see one like this.

What have others done?
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
            Will be off to HD tomorrow to get boxes, cable and outlets. Even though the new circuits will have 12-2 and 20A breakers I am not sure you necessarily need the "T" style 20A outlets unless you have a specific tool that only has that type of plug. I have yet to see one like this.

What have others done?
            that's right. unless you have a specific tool that draws more than 15A but less than 20 you don't need the "T" receptacle NEMA 5-20R. If you use equipment drawing less than 15A each and totalling less than 20 you can use the regular 15A receptacles NEMA 5-15R.

REF:
            http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-19-2008, 03:18 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              that's right. unless you have a specific tool that draws more than 15A but less than 20 you don't need the "T" receptacle NEMA 5-20R. If you use equipment drawing less than 15A each and totalling less than 20 you can use the regular 15A receptacles NEMA 5-15R.

REF:
              http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm
              Given how much I am spending on this rewire project I paid the extra few bucks and got the 20A recepticles. I didnt find anything for the overhead extension yet but that can wait for now.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

My shop is now powered up and ready to go.

New sub panel with 4 20A circuits. They are wired to 4 double duplex outlets each of the doubles has access to 2 independant circuits. I located them so in any of the main working areas I am in proximity to 3 of the 4 circuits. I still have the old 15A circuits available in 2 other locations and have 220 in the subpanle if I ever need it.

I also added 4 shop lights wired into ceiling outlets.
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

you'll be so happy!
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    you'll be so happy!
                    I already am. Just the thought of not having to worry about tripping a breaker as I frequently did before while trying to work with the single 15A circuit.

It will be interesting to see if my BT3 performs better with its own dedicated circuit. It kind of makes me want to try and rip a 12/4 piece of maple just for the heck of it Maybe not, but I will be working on some new cabinets this weekend so most of my bigger tools will get a test.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• rnelson0
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                      • Firestorm FS2500TS

I still have the old 15A circuits available in 2 other locations
                      I have my battery chargers, desk lamp, and stereo plugged into the 15A circuit. It's not good for much else!

Congrats on finishing up. It's nice to have a place where you feel you can set up and work instead of "do just a few things".

Comment

Working...