• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't ask for that!

So we had some wind storms blow through here right before the last snap of super cold weather that decided to relieve my house of several large chunks of siding. So in order to not have huge holes in the house I farmed out the job to a contractor a friend has used a LOT over the years. And so far the job looks great. They fully sheathed the house something the original builder did NOT do, and then applied the Hardipanel siding, T1-11 to match what was there, custom ripped the trim redid the fascias the whole nine yards. Well today apparently is paint day. I got home and the dog NEEDED to go out so I took him out in the back yard as the painter is still in the front. Well apparently the painter figured the shed must be part of the job. So the beautiful 10 month old paint job I did on my shed now has another fresh coat minus the trim which needs to be repainted now due to overspray, including the hasp / lock. UGH...

I hope they don't expect me to pay for something I didn't want, didn't ask for and wasn't on the contract...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Maybe the painter will also repaint the trim. I wouldn't mention anything about the extra work until the job is done. I also would not pay for their mistake.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Not gonna. Had them fix some rot on the door casing at the back. I NEED to do something about the back door...
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Not like any painters that I know, paint something that they are not suppose to paint! Usually they fail to paint something they are supposed to paint

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

So I had to pick a few nits. They had to remove lighting fixtures to replace the siding, and not a single one was reattached securely. They got that fixed. I still need to re-aim the security cameras they reattached and am waiting for the ground to dry out a bit. It has been so rainy here lately the ground is nothing but mud right now... They repainted the trim on the shed, but left the spot under the lock the original color and you can tell the new trim color is NOT a good color match. Not going to fuss if the HOA doesn't fuss... The shed and house match though so that is good...

The original siding was Masonite. I.E. Textured tempered hardobard, that was simply stapled onto the studs, no vapor barrier, no sheathing. The new is sheathed with 5/8 CDX plywood, then vapor barrier and Hardi Panel T1-11 to go back like for like on style, again to keep the HOA silent. Hardi soffit was installed as well as all the Fascias and trim were done in Hardi.

The contractor absolutely savaged my yard, which was hurting from last years drought and the watering bans my town enacted already, as well as they trampled the entire side yard between houses so I will need to get with the next door neighbor and have sod put down between the houses... We should probably discuss drainage in that area as it has been a mud pit every time it rains over there...

Anyway I need to get with the prime contractor and settle up the remainder of the invoice and be done with this. Hopefully we will get bonuses this year. I want to do hurricane rated low-e windows and get rid of this 1984 construction junk....
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...