• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

In search of paint forumlations.

Or more specifically color samples to get matched.

I have the Rockler Signmakers templates State Park fonts in all 3 sizes, and I want to do actual State Park style signs, complete with the brown main color paint, and the yellow text.

I would actually like the colors to be somewhat accurate-ish....

Does anyone know what paint colors these actually are, like specific color names Like Behr Grizzly Bear Scat brown or soemthing like that? Or perhaps can anyone recommend a color sample that I can have color matched? What I am coming up with is, off, at best...

I have a sign I want to make for my camper, one I want to make one of my friends class A RVs, and one for my brothers fifth wheel trailer... Trying to get a jump on Christmas this year...
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-10-2023, 11:47 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Answer selected by LCHIEN at 09-10-2023, 11:23 PM.
    twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My son in law did the research last year when he put up the sign on his island in Lake Superior and here is his response.

"From the Nationa Parks System Style Guide. The brown is referred to as Recreation Brown by the bureau of land management. Here is the code for it. If you enter it into google, it should pop right up: PMS 4695

The yellow is "School Bus Yellow" and is coded: PMS 108 C

I just went to Menards and found the closest matches to those, and it worked out well.​"

Here is the sign from a picture taken 3 weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	856062

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Contact a nearby state park to see if their maintenance department can address your questions? I would bet this varies from state to state. I bet our local Metropark even has their own. Don't know if taking a picture and using it to have paint custom mixed would work. I needed touchup paint for my Ryobi riding mower and took one of my chargers to the nearby Benjamin Moore dealer. The quart of Advance they mixed is nearly a dead match.
      Last edited by Jim Frye; 09-10-2023, 07:22 PM.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some examples from Searching google images for trail signs and hiking signs.

Name:	image.png
Views:	42
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	856058
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	653.9 KB ID:	856057

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	856055Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	870.2 KB ID:	856056

I don't think there is one standard color.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-10-2023, 08:35 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My son in law did the research last year when he put up the sign on his island in Lake Superior and here is his response.

"From the Nationa Parks System Style Guide. The brown is referred to as Recreation Brown by the bureau of land management. Here is the code for it. If you enter it into google, it should pop right up: PMS 4695

The yellow is "School Bus Yellow" and is coded: PMS 108 C

I just went to Menards and found the closest matches to those, and it worked out well.​"

Here is the sign from a picture taken 3 weeks ago.

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	856062
          Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

twistsol Thats exactly the colors I was talking about.

Yes, there is, or at least SHOULD be a style guide for each federal agency / department. I.E. NASA when I worked for them had their style guide, specific fonts, particular shades of whatever colors that I don't recall because I rarely needed it and had the web page bookmarked...

The school bus yellow makes perfect sense as it looks frighteningly familiar now...

I believe School Bus Yellow if my Google skills are still good is Pantone #13415
            Recreation Brown appears to be the same exact thing as "Forest Service Sign Brown", I cannot find a Pantone color chip for it, but I can find hexidecimal. 5d4e4a.

Apparently Home Depot is able to color match to hexidecimal color codes.

I know TXPWD uses the Federal Color Schema in most parks I have been to, however I have noticed some off colors last time I was at Galveston Island State Park, so while there IS a standard, they might not stick to it all that closely...

Anyway, the plan is to make simple signs saying "Welcome to FAMILY NAME campsite"

In my van, and my friends class A just slide it in the windshield when we get to camp. For my brother and his fifth wheel, no clue what he is going to do...

He has a twisted sense of humor. Maybe I will just get him a Camp Crystal Lake sign instead....
            Last edited by dbhost; 09-10-2023, 10:12 PM.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...