• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Fits and spurts. I got siding on 3 sides last week and sprayed a coat of paint on them. The cardboard was screwed on so I didn't make a mess inside the shed. Worked well enough. I'll follow-up with another coat soon especially around the windows and doors (manually) so they can be flashed and installed.
    ​​​​​​
    I spent most of yesterday laying out the rafters and cutting birdsmouth in them. Today I screwed them in place and installed the blocking for one of the fly rafters. The front overhang is 18" while the back is just 6". There is 12" overhang on each side.

I also nailed on half the hurricane ties--so...much...hammering.

Now that DST is over, I probably only have time on the weekends for this now. Next weekend I bring my lawn tractor back from my parents' house. Then I can determine how big of a door I need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221106_223837935.NIGHT~2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	852815

Name:	PXL_20221106_223239642.NIGHT~2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	852816

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Two steps forward, one step back.

We got 2hrs early release from work today ahead of Veterans Day tomorrow. After a much needed haircut, I had about an hour of light left to add blocking between my rafters. My total roof is 12' x 16'...or so I thought.

I measured up 48" from the bottom and it didn't land in the middle of the existing fly rafters I installed the other day. Huh. Then I measured down 96" from the peak and that, too, didn't land in the middle of my fly rafters. Doh!

When I installed my rafters I didn't cut off 3" to account for the added thickness of the 2x4 skirt! So now I have the pleasure of unscrewing the skirts front and back and cutting off 1.5" and then reinstalling them but I have to do it up in the air and not down on the ground!

This might be a time when it would have been better to come up a little short than long.

Thank goodness for screws!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Just do it.

I hacked (some of those rafter ends look pretty hacked up) 1.5" off each end of the rafters yesterday, and got myself to the same point I was at a week earlier but with a right sized roof.

The weather really turned from just 2 days ago. We were in the 70s and yesterday barely hit mid-50s. I stayed warm with 2 layers and by nailing on the hurricane ties to the shorter wall rafters. The two windows are flashed and nearly installed. That flashing tape was either too cold or just not the same quality as you see on TV--virtually no adhesion or flex. I finished installing the roof blocking and then nailed off the 6 OSB sheets for the roof. I was worried the 2x4 rafters would be weak, but it felt solid up there.

When I picked up the riding mower on Saturday, my Dad gave me a leftover roll of roofing felt. That'll be next and I need to figure out all the metal roof trim parts. That'll be next weekend's project. I also wanted to have the tractor in hand to size the big door.

Name:	IMG-20221113-WA0000.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	852949

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Rafter spacing is not as much for strength as it is to help reducing the roof decking from sagging. Of course it is also for snow weight.
          Are your rafters notched out for the lateral 2x4s?

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Duh, I see the laterals now!

• atgcpaul
          atgcpaul commented
          Editing a comment
          Only the two rafters one in from the ends are notched every 24" to support the two fly rafters. Then I installed two rows of blocking at 48" to catch the long edge of the sheathing. I chose to block instead of notch because I was concerned about cutting away nearly 1/2 of the rafter away.

It made sense to me when I did it and when I was up there, I didn't feel any bounce. The blocking also helped me use up a lot of offcuts.
      Working...