• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Storage Shed

Because I had to do something while my concrete footer cures... there's a shed in that pile somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221010_144425119~2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	852554
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Throughout this past week after work I laid and leveled 15 concrete blocks for my shed base. Today I laid the skids, framed the floor, laid the floor (3/4" PT plywood is HEAVY) and managed to stand up two walls on my own.

The shed is 10x14 and will be a lean-to style with an 8' back wall and 10' front wall.

Name:	PXL_20221016_144459460.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	852586

Name:	PXL_20221016_230116518.NIGHT~2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	852587

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

16" stud centers? Strong! Any hurricane clips? Oh, Maryland, probably not.
      was the skids fastened to the blocks or can it really skid off?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        12" on the back. I plan to mount my lumber rack on there and load it up. It was just 3 extra studs--cheap insurance. I will also be guaranteed to hit a stud when I hang the siding panels on the back. It will be 16" on the other 3.

The skids are not attached to the blocks. I could conceivably drag the shed to a new location later. I don't need a permit for a shed smaller than 150sqft and there is a tie down requirement for sheds under 400sqft. I should have done it sooner, but I did plan to use some ground screws.
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 10-17-2022, 06:07 AM.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

When you're done with yours would you like to come down to Texas and help me put one up we put 1 up?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
        When you're done with yours would you like to come down to Texas and help me put one up we put 1 up?
        I would love to! You dig in and level those concrete blocks, though! Everything else so far hasn't been so bad.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it's the footers I need help with. Probably going to have to just hire it out. I need to remote 2 trees to get the space I want in there. I actually need to level UP the pad, Flooding and all... Garage still too small to use as a garage, only need storage shed to get non shop stuff out of my shop.
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Sooooo envious. Our deeds prohibit sheds on the property. Knew that going in and was too cheap to build a three car garage. However, one can add an extension to the house and can build a "room" on the side of the building that is effectively a "shed" with an external door. The exterior of the extension does have to match the rest of the home. Does make it easier to run wiring in the new space. So far, I've managed to hang all of the OPE on the walls. My neighbor has his garage walls completely covered with "stuff" and the storage has grown to the ceiling. His kayaks are stored above the overhead garage door on a rack with a motorized pulley system and there are bicycles hung from the ceiling too. He even dug a walkway through his crawl space and concreted the whole thing to create more storage space for his basement workshop.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
          atgcpaul commented
          Editing a comment
          Luckily our deeds don't have that restriction. My neighbor has a bunch of accessory units around his house and after he saw what I was doing wants to add another.

Our houses are at the end of a court. We have long skinny driveways with little frontage whereas most of the other houses have wide front yards. I looked at my plat and saw this "BRL" (building restriction line) line running next to the driveway. The shed would have been perfectly located at the end of my driveway but can't be. The county website doesn't tell you how much setback there has to be to your neighbor so in the same email asking about that I asked them where I'm allowed to build according to the plat. They basically said my driveway and the 40ft swath going down to the field is my "front yard" and I can't put any structures there. Oddly, though, where the shed sits now is what everyone else would say is my front yard.
      • capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Come on now! You fretted so much about doing everything to code and tried so much to impress the inspector with your footer mods,….. and you are building a shed with no Hurricane tie down or hurricane clips! They are not just for hurricanes but for tornadoes and other strong winds eat sheds like what you are building! When they snatch the roof off it gets pitched through your neighbors sliding glass door! Not a pretty picture.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Without the Hurricane clips it will blow the roof off in a storm and through the neighbors plate glass window..
          With the clips, the whole shed will blow off the blocks and knock down the neighbors house.

• atgcpaul
          atgcpaul commented
          Editing a comment
          No code for shed below 150sqft. I haven't gotten to the roof yet which will have the clips. The tie downs are en route.
      • atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yeah! Amazon delivered the tie-down anchors this morning around 6:30am. (I was awake)

The driver also mowed down my mailbox backing out the box truck. We didn't discover it until before 8am as my wife was driving away. Amazon customer support says they will make me whole (after an investigation). I guess I should go temporarily brace the mailbox so the postal driver doesn't get POed at me?

Maybe I should be thanking Amazon because that post was set in concrete and it was definitely rotted out.

Name:	PXL_20221020_114021161.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	852609

Comment

• atgcpaul
          atgcpaul commented
          Editing a comment
          Amazon owned up to it but now wants me to get an official quote for the work. I'm trying to find a handyman or fence company.
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Bummer. The local USPS rules were changed a couple of years ago and subdivisions can no longer have individual mail boxes like yours. All new streets have to have communal steel mail boxes (like at apartment complexes) at the entrance to the street. So now you have to walk from your inflated $500K+ home to the end of the street to pick up your mail.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• cwsmith
          cwsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          Several years ago when I had project to do at one of our plants in Davidson, NC I noticed that no one in that town had mailboxes, no door to door delivery was allowed. Every residence, includindg business' had a box at the post office where they picked up their mail.

CWS
          Last edited by cwsmith; 10-20-2022, 07:16 PM.

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          My neighborhood was built in the early to mid 1980s, or at least MY side of the neigborhood, on the other side of the main road going through was 70s... Anyway the entire neighborhood has those cluster boxes like you are talking about. Ours were just replaced something like 6 months or so ago. So no neighbor kids or delivery trucks running your mailbox over.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Live in a 36-year old subdivision and the boxes have been the communal type since I moved in 30 years ago. I guess Its good to go out and walk 545.7 feet (according to google maps) each way to get my mail.
        I use USPS informed delivery to see what's coming and if its all junk mail I may skip going to mailbox for a couple of days !!! But I get all excited when a package is delivered to the parcel lockers and it shows up in informed delivery (with a time even).

Our mail slots have individual doors at the front and one large door at the back allowing the postperson to load all the slots at once. One time I was so frustrated, a package I was eagerly awaiting had arrived according to informed delivery. Unfortunately it just fit the slot height as measured in the back but, the 3/16" lip all the way around the front door frame made it impossible to remove for me. I had to go home and make a note to put in the back of the box where she could see it to please put it in the lockers!
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2022, 10:30 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

At various times the Post Office has had door to door delivery, mailbox at the curb delivery and delivery to neighborhood cluster boxes.
          Clearly door to door has the highest labor content as he has to go on foot and cover a lot of ground. Curb delivery is less labor intensive as be can deliver from the (custom right handed drive vehicles) and cluster box is most efficient labor wise.
          As time has gone on, and neighborhoods have sprung up, they have shifted from door to curb then to cluster boxes for the new neighborhoods. But they have mostly grandfathered the delivery method so as not to degrade your service. So some neighborhoods still have door delivery. and some still have curbside.
          Honestly I think that as the PO struggles for profitability and the prospect of further raising rates, they should really make everyone do cluster boxes and I also am in favor of every other day delivery for homes where half the neighborhoods get MWF delivery and the other half get TThSa delivery. Mail is no longer the first choice for rapid delivery. Businesses can continue to get daily delivery.

The down side is that first class mail between homes may be less predictable and slower...
          Suppose I have MWF service and I put a item in the mail Tuesday it gets picked up Wed, sorted wed nite, out for delivery Thu but the recipient has MWF too so he won't get it until Friday earliest. So much for next day delivery.

Anyway that's my suggestion.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2022, 03:55 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have USPS informed delivery and it's great. We have several rural post offices around us but I don't know if they plan to move to a central mailbox like some of you have. As far as I'm aware, there is no community property in our subdivision so someone up the street would have to give up a plot of land for the PO.

My neighbor texted me today that she witnessed it happen when she was walking her dog. She's also willing to let Amazon know what she saw if their investigation doesn't go my way. I am curious how they will repair it, though. There's a big chunk of concrete in the ground with a square hole in it, and who knows how deep it is. Even if they paid me to fix it myself, I'm not sure I'd want to do the work. For now it's braced and upright and ready to receive junk mail.

Name:	PXL_20221020_124306295.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	852616

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Wow, you have a decorated mail box, I remember when that wasn't allowed. In my teens I had a paper route which was about five miles long (up and down three separate country roads with 68 or so customers). As with your neighborhood, all the mail boxes were the style that you have, with the little red (pickup) flag for the mailman. A few neighbors painted their boxes, one even making it look like Uncle Sam with the stand looking like red and white striped pants and with the mail box itself blue with white stars. The fellow being a woodworker even fashioned a head and top hat with arms that held the mailbox. The postal service allowed the stand, but he had to the actual box had to be silver (unpainted metal). About the same time, they told me that I wasn't allowed to put my newspapers in the mailbox. (I was warned that the mail box was Federal property and only for use of the postal service! Soon after, the Press started having their own container (a yellow tube with with Press' name) that could be mounted on the mail box support. A lot of people didn't want to buy that, and therefore fashioned their own. IIRC, that was around 1960.

I was just recalling those days to my wife last week. My knees are about wore out and I was telling her how much I walked back then, especially doing the paper route. Seven days a week, including most holidays (except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter). It was hilly country and therefore easier to walk than ride a bike. I recall a few nasty winter days in those three years when I used my cross-country ski's.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                atgcpaul commented
                Editing a comment
                It's actually a magnetic applique, but if there are restrictions about decorating your mailbox, the word didn't get to MD. I've seen a John Deere mailbox, one that looks like a fishing lure, and one of my favorites--a mini beer keg.
            • atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

A lot of good 2x4s died needlessly today.

We wanted two windows and a regular door on the front wall. To save money, I've been trolling Facebook marketplace and found what I needed--2 used vinyl replacement windows and one 9 light exterior door. The door is 36" wide but the guy couldn't meet me until tomorrow (Sunday) even though I found it on Tuesday.

Anyway, I had the afternoon off yesterday and framed up the king studs on the front wall using the expected dimensions, and raised it up.

Today after a morning spent at the DMV to title/register our car, we went to the Restore and found the same door, but at 32" and at half the price. Since this was a done deal, I told the other guy I'd pass, and brought this door home.

Of course, that meant I'd have to reframe the doorway, and now that the door was narrower, my wife wanted to reposition the windows. Wall came down, studs moved, wall went back up.

I then added the jack studs, sill, and header, and took one last measurement before lifting the window into place. I was off by 3"!!! . I had put my king studs into the wrong location also meaning my sill and header were cut too short. So down came the wall again, move everything again, stand it back up, and cut more wood. Thank goodness I decided to use screws instead of nails!

I had hoped to hang some siding today but the afternoon got away from me after those two do-overs and it was too dark to work. Even if I brought a light out, I didn't want to keep running my impact driver and annoy the neighbors.

Tomorrow will be another day.

Name:	PXL_20221022_224731828~2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	852669

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Measure twice, cut three times, because you bought a different part and then made an error anyway. Sounds familiar.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...