• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Kitchen Remodel

We finally threw in the towel with the black granite kitchen countertops. They had developed some chipping around the sink and by the dishwasher. Plus, the high gloss surface showed every spot and drip which drove SWMBO nuts. The black color also made the kitchen rather dark and gloomy. So out with old and in with the new quartz countertops. The project also included a new island top, so we ordered a butcher block top from my favorite hardwood and millwork dealer. Six weeks later, the butcher block top was in and I spent a week applying multiple coats of Howard's Butcher Block oil and conditioner. Today, we installed the island top. Next up is a stone back splash for the walls around the kitchen and painting the island cabinets. SWMBO hasn't decided on the cabinet color, so that step is in limbo, but the tile guy is coming Thursday to quote that job and we can go order the tile we picked out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	705794D0-4027-4EEC-8218-723DC851CE95.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	852412
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

That looks great.

I apply conditioner to the island each month as it gets very dry with the constant wiping up. It is the main prep area with lots of cutting and slicing.

We choose to use Formica for the counter top and I could cover all but 4" with a 5' X 10' piece. Good luck with the remainder of the work.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my woodworking books listed an oiling schedule for wooden countertops. First, you oil once a day for a week. Next, you oil once a week for a month. Then, you oil once a month for a year. Finally, you oil once a year forever.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Did you also make the island below it?

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. The cabinets are factory made and installed when the house was built by a local kitchen design shop subbed by the builder. I didn't make the butcher block top. I had it done by the local hardwood/millwork shop I buy wood from. I figured a solid chunk of hard maple 50"x27"x2" would be too heavy for me to handle in my basement shop (and I was right). I did the oil finish and install on the existing cabinets.
      Last edited by Jim Frye; 09-27-2022, 03:42 PM.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Y’all cook in this kitchen or just wash vegetables?

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      Kitchen is used daily by us for cooking and baking, but do wash veggies from the garden in the sink.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Tile guy is coming tomorrow to quote on installing a stone backsplash around the three walls over the quartz countertops. I will paint the island cabinetry when SWMBO picks a color.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn’t see a stove/oven in photo

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      Stove/oven unit and microwave are on the right hand wall of the kitchen cabinets, out of frame on the right. Kitchen layout is a shallow "U" around the island. When we designed the house, we made the kitchen wider to provide counter/appliance space on the right. We started with a given plan that was close and then tweaked a bunch of things to get what we wanted.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The tile guy has quoted the job, ordered the materials and we are scheduled for job start on the 17th. I added baseboard to the island to give it a more finished look using leftover material from the home build. I am looking to use Benjamin Moore Advance paint on the island to contrast with the other cabinets finish and am trying to learn how to apply it. I don't have a HVLP system, so I am limited to brush and roller applicators.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I found Advance to be tricky, but it did yield good results. I had to thin it a little for my sprayer, but unthinned was a little challenging with a brush. It was a little runny. With several light coats, it was streak free enough. It also took several weeks to fully cure (they all say that) and offgas.

My cabinet bodies and shelves were melamine and didn't need painting, but I sprayed the doors and left them in my shop for weeks because I didn't want to smell that in my kitchen. I did paint the moldings in place, though, and they did smell for a while.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

For kitchen cabinets, I'd highly recommend sticking with Sherwin Williams Emerald enamel. It can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed and is more durable than the Benjamin Moore Advanced. The cost is comparable and is really the best you can currently get for a DIY project unless you upgrade to a 2-part commercial coating.

Dutch Boy kitchen and bath as recommended by Menard's was a waste of my time and money.

Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

A few years ago i was steered to Advance by the former Porter Paint store manager. He was working in one of our local regional building supply stores and was having a store demonstration of Advance. They demonstrated airless, HVLP, roller and brush and all outcomes were very simular. The trick was to apply the paint with one pass with spray, brush or roller and don’t fret or dabble with it any more until the 2 coat. This stuff almost magically self leveled. In the demonstration he did some back strokes with the roller and brush and added more paint and rubbed out some unlevel spots an brush lines… and the finish was not satisfactory because of the fretting and dabbling!

I built my laundry room cabinets in 3 phases with the first being sprayed with the airless sprayer. It was such a pia to clean I rolled phase 2 and brushed phase 3. Several years later I can hardly tell which were sprayed, rolled or brushed!

I can’t say about the durability but we have been pleased with our results with Advance.

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            In a previous comment I asked if y’all cooked in this kitchen or just washed vegetables? There was no stove top or oven in the photo.

• Jim Frye
            Jim Frye commented
            Editing a comment
            See post 5.2
        • Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Work In Progress! The tile guy arrived today to begin the back splash installation. I thought about doing this myself (for about 30 seconds) and thought better of it. This is one day's effort. Right side of the kitchen shot for capncarl.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	8B30E24E-2E5C-490F-B235-49FF9A1F7B61.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	852599
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks…. I see the cooking thing now.
        • Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Tile guy finished installing the tile today and will be back Tuesday to grout and seal the whole thing. The tile needs to be sealed as it is natural rock and somewhat porous. I can't believe how involved the process was and am really glad I didn't try it myself. I also can't believe how much better the entire counter area looks with the full height backsplash as opposed to the painted drywall. It's another one of those things we should have done when we built the house, but didn't. Now the painting of the island cabinets remains, but we are waiting until spring when we can open the windows to dissipate the smell of the BM Advance paint drying (a 12-16 hour process).
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            In your spare time between now and spring would be a good time for you to experiment with applying Advantage paint with a brush and roller to see if it’s going to work for your island. Better to be surprised now than later.

• Jim Frye
            Jim Frye commented
            Editing a comment
            Not too worried on the application. Our SIL painted their island with BM Advantage with a brush and roller and it looks like it was sprayed.

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep in mind what my painter pro pointed out in applying Advantage. Put it on with a roller or brush and leave it alone, don’t fiddle with getting the brush strokes perfect, leave it alone, My BIL absolutely could not apply Advantage because he can’t leave well enough alone and has to fiddle with it.
        • Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Finally done! The tile guy finished up today by silicone caulking the joints between the tile and the countertop and the cabinets. I will state again that there was so much detail work to this project that I know I couldn't have done it, let alone in six days. There were so many tools involved that it simply wouldn't have been economical to do a one off job. The tile guy got a 20% discount on all of the materials used, so his labor cost was not a big deal, especially since his workmanship was that of a real craftsman.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Stan
            Stan commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like things went quite well with the tile. That's always a good thing.
        • donaldsauter
          Handtools only
          • Jan 2023

If you plan to do a remodel, you need to know that your kitchen is one of the most expensive rooms to remodel. This is because there is a great deal of labor involved, which is paid by the hour. The kitchen remodeling process will be somewhat lengthy and time-consuming because the layout and design of your kitchen will have to be changed to make it more functional. You should be prepared with a plan before you make an appointment with a contractor. You will have to decide what kind of kitchen you want and whether you will remodel your kitchen or get help from Dupont plumbing.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

donaldsauter the original poster Jim Frye was doing a partial remodel. Looks like countertops and backsplash, which is actually kind of tricky getting the countertops separate from the cabinets without destroying the cabinets. Looks like they are doing a nice job so far.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The countertop was done by the same company that did the original countertop when the house was built. We contracted to have them remove the original granite countertops and replace them with quartz materiel. That also included removing the island countertop. They measured for the new countertops with a laser measuring system that produced a precise drawing and cut the new countertops with a CNC system. When they finished removing the old materials, the cabinets looked like they had just been installed. I contacted with a local millwork shop for the wooden island countertop, but installed it myself. FWIW, the entire redo was just under $10K.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...