Quick and simple, Need some funny beads...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Quick and simple, Need some funny beads...

So I have decided a quick and simple camping project is in order. We have ended up when we don't use the doggie pool to capture gray water in the shower tent, we tend to get mud on our feet while showering, I want to make a cedar roll up shower platform. Simple idea, just 3/4 x 3/4 x 24 slats, through drilled in equidistant spaces along the slats, same spots on each. I am thinking 3 holes. Plastic beads to keep the slats separate and let water drain, and then elastic cord strung through. and tied off.

VERY simple idea.

Now the fun part. Finding 3/4 cedar to work with. Home Depot doesn't carry cedar aside from Fencing, Nor does Lowes, I can source it up at McCoys which is where I will likely go...

I have been experimenting with PMF for the hot shower box / stand. I tried canvas, and old pretty coarse cheap bed sheets. Honestly the bed sheets work better / stiffer. I have done the "fat guy test" I.E. Make a 24" x 1.5 x 1.5 stick of PMF, and stand on it. I'm plenty heavy and witht he PMF done via bed sheet scrap there was no breakage, with the canvas, there was...

My sister in law has a wierd obsession with thrift stores, so I Have asked her to source up around 2 dozen king size, and if she fan find just the flat sheets, flat sheets. Not the flannel ones but the regular cheapies. That should get the whole camper project done... Or I buy twice as many twins and deal with more seams that I would actually rather avoid...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm almost 100% certain lowes and HD both have dimensional lumber cedar. In fact I saw some today at Lowes.

But cedar fence boards may be good enough. 9/16" thick by 5.5 by 6 foot with dog ears I saw ran I think $3.49 or 3.98 a board at lowes but they had lots.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      The cedar fence planks may not be as clear as real dimensional lumber, a knot in a 3/4 x 3/4 slat is trash. Some varieties of wood you might could use a board with a knot but cedar knots fall out.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I agree with Loring as I looked this up a couple of weeks ago for another question. I think it was the OP's. I would worry a bit about western red cedar for the shower floor. Our last home had the family room finished with WRC and it was so splintery, you couldn't dust or touch it without getting them. I tore it all out and used the material to build mounting racks for a rooftop solar system. I might suggest white oak as the material. But HD definitely carries WRC dimensional boards.

Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      My thought process could be wrong here, but I was thinking cut to size, sanded, drilled, and then urethaned with a generous coat. Should keep the splintering to a minimum. I see these for sale pretty often. For those with Pop Up campers or truck campers that often have no bathroom, a privy / ensuite tent is a pretty common thing, many places don't require gray water capture as long as you are using eco friendly soaps, and dragging a doggie pool out and dumping it in a capture tank is a LOT of work for an old back... But I digress only to explain how the muddy feet issue comes about. Most privy / ensuite tents have mesh drains around the permieter of the floor, and if there isn't sufficient slope to the floor, there will be water build up with the soil underneath causing standing muddy water. To avoid this just set up with the land sloping AWAY from the tent, that is not always easy, or possible. And never set up so that your run off will go under your main / sleeping tent... Ewwww...
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

$147.00? They have to ship it in? Hard pass.

Heck for that money, I'll make it out of southern yellow pine construction grade lumber, and if it rots it rots... No way am I going to overdo this one.

And it probably was me. I am always on the lookout for Cedar at decent prices...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Consider using Trex composite boards cut to size?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are hundreds in stock on Katy HD.
    1x2 and 1x3 should be ideal for your roll up platform, you can rip these narrower if you want.
    8 foot long, you should not need too many. I figure 2 boards of 1x3 ripped in half and cut to 24 inches wide with 3/4" beads between them. 8 slats per board. you only need 1-1/2 to make a 24" x 24" platform with 12 slats on 2-inch centers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cedar board.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.7 KB ID:	849468
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-24-2022, 01:24 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      There are hundreds in stock on Katy HD.
      1x2 and 1x3 should be ideal for your roll up platform, you can rip these narrower if you want.
      8 foot long, you should not need too many. I figure 2 boards of 1x3 ripped in half and cut to 24 inches wide with 3/4" beads between them. 8 slats per board. you only need 1-1/2 to make a 24" x 24" platform with 12 slats on 2-inch centers.

Click image for larger version Name:	cedar board.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.7 KB ID:	849468
      I might have to go to Katy to get them. Clear Lake Shores and Dickinson do not have them. I don't mind. My SIL is in Memorial. I'll drop my wife off to have lunch with her sister while I go get some lumber, Yeah I am thinking 2 1x3s. I found the beads I need gray plastic 3/4", and Michaels. My wife loves that place...

I guess the lousy inventory is just a local to me thing. I haven't checked out Friendswood Home Depot though. They might have it...

Comment

Working...