• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop improvement projects.

So just a quick status update and lumping them together. Here is my status on my ongoing shop / equipment updates.

#1. Central Machinery 14" bandsaw mods. For the most part done, I had to order more heat shrink crimps and got fed up with how badly they crimp using a standard crimper, so I ordered a heat shrink specific crimper. So still updating the power switch mod, Should be done mid / late week depending on when things show up.... Tires hae arrived, and haven't ordered the dust ports.
    #2. Thien separator mod to the HF DC. Pending project panel delivery, Pickup should be next Friday.. Update to 6" duct is funds and time away for now. So put a footnote in it and keep running 5" to dual 4" until I can afford to upgrade.
    #3. Plan for drill press rolling storage cabinet has been ordered. Already have a set of Harbor Freight urethane casters ready to be put to work... Considering mounting the pocket hole jig to a bench clampable mount board to simplify setup / teardown.
    #4. Lathe ballast / storage bench. Collecting 2x stock presently. I am planning on a 2x4 glueup butcher block top...
    #5. Miter saw bench. I guess I should work on those drawers huh? IF I manage to get the Metabo HPT 12" compact slider, I will be disassembling this (screwed together with some glue, but end grain glue on plywood is pointless), and lopping off a good amount of the back of the bench where the DC is routed. Probably reassess the design / drawers, cabinet storage.
    #6. Been gathering measurements for the saw, space available for a base cabinet, and the sizes of the drawers. Need to find the outer portion of the sides and add that to the dimensions. Need to seriously get to drawing out the plans for a storage cabinet.
    #7. Drill press storage cabinet. Ordered the back issue of woodsmith magazine that has the design / plans I wanted. $3.00 so no big deal. Pending shipping...

From the looks of it, I am hopeful that the price of plywood comes down soon. I need quite a bit of it...
    Last edited by dbhost; 11-30-2021, 02:58 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

1. Close the door
    2. forget how bad it needs to be cleaned.
    3. Procrastinate organizing
    4. Enjoy the rest!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
      1. Close the door
      2. forget how bad it needs to be cleaned.
      3. Procrastinate organizing
      4. Enjoy the rest!
      LOL, I have gone beyond where that would even potentially be a good idea. I need to be able to see my workbench again!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Quick update of the progress.

#1. Central Machinery 14" bandsaw mods. For the most part done, Heat shrink crimp connectors have arrived, the proper crimping tool has NOT. Amazon decided to ship them out of order. Allegedly the crimper will be here tomrorow. The tires will not be installed until after Christmas as they are officially part of my christmas gifts from my wife... IF Amazon delivers tomorrow early enough, may have the band saw done by tomorrow night, failing that next day...
        #2. Thien separator mod to the HF DC. The project panel I ordered is reportedly in at Home Depot, but I will be picking it up Friday. I just do NOT want to go out right now.
        #3. Plan for drill press rolling storage cabinet has been ordered. Waiting on shipment notification for that.
        #4. Lathe ballast / storage bench. Collecting 2x stock presently. I am planning on a 2x4 glueup butcher block top... Working on the actual cabinet design.
        #5. Miter saw bench. Not a single bit of progress on this thing. Won't be for a while
        #6. Been gathering measurements for the saw, space available for a base cabinet, and the sizes of the drawers. Need to find the outer portion of the sides and add that to the dimensions. Need to seriously get to drawing out the plans for a storage cabinet.

Spent some more time cleaning out junk, finding tools and putting them back where they belong...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Crimps and crimpers have arrived. I have temporarily wired the bandsaw with the crimps using blade connectors. It works as expected. I am needing to figure out what size screws are needed, or what size tap and then screws are needed for the holes in the riser block so I can restrain the cable with some cable strap as it goes down the saw. I am figuring at the riser block, and then at the base, into the base, and then using 3M taped zip tie anchors.

I am using an improvised bushing. A piece of cut off 1/2" OD rubber hose, and it is working perfectly.

Once i set up the cable routing to where it is nice and secure, no chance of the cable flopping for example into the path of the belt, then I will make my final connections and close up the base.

I see where the water softener that sits next to it has been causing some surface rust issues on the base, and mobile base. I need to repaint the stand. The question is where the heck can I get the paint?

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

So no trip to Home Depot today. Just not feeling it.

Got funny. I wanted a series of data points in the dust collection that is covered in the what did you do today thread. So to accomplish this I put the DC back to the OE impeller configuration, and am waiting for delivery of an anemometer.

It's been a weary week. Glad the weekend is here, but seriously doubt I am going ot have a chance to relax...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Got the printout of the template for the neutral vane done. Got the 6" split duct, flattened one edge of it and ready to apply the template and start cutting. Wish I had a can of 3M Super Trim 77 on hand. My plan is to glue the teplate straight to the sheet metal, and cut along the dotted line as it were.

After MUCH debate, mostly with myself, I am leaning super heavily toward going with 6" sheet metal ducting. Pricing it out. Looks like Lowes has the best prices if I want to go with standard HVAC duct, and in theory the modded HF DC will keep up sufficient flow over the max 18 foot run. I am planning on riveting the joints and sealing with copius amounts of clear silicone, then aluminum duct tape.

Still waiting on those zip tie anchors. I need to remember to get them next time I am at Home Depot. I looked for them at Wally World with no luck... What did I expect right?

For those that are interested in upsizing an HF 2HP DC flange to 6" while retaining the ability to roll back, the Hydrofarm AC6F 6" Active Air Flange is a size appropriate replacement, Just lay the OE back to back against this one, transfter the mount hole locations / mark them. Supporting the flange and dimple with a center punch, drill, install.
              Last edited by dbhost; 12-05-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Somehow the following didn't go through / submitted...

### The stuff that didn't go through ###

Got the printout of the template for the neutral vane done. Got the 6" split duct, flattened one edge of it and ready to apply the template and start cutting. Wish I had a can of 3M Super Trim 77 on hand. My plan is to glue the teplate straight to the sheet metal, and cut along the dotted line as it were.

After MUCH debate, mostly with myself, I am leaning super heavily toward going with 6" sheet metal ducting. Pricing it out. Looks like Lowes has the best prices if I want to go with standard HVAC duct, and in theory the modded HF DC will keep up sufficient flow over the max 18 foot run. I am planning on riveting the joints and sealing with copius amounts of clear silicone, then aluminum duct tape.

Still waiting on those zip tie anchors. I need to remember to get them next time I am at Home Depot. I looked for them at Wally World with no luck... What did I expect right?

### End The stuff that didn't go through ###

Now on to updates for today. As I said last night I hammered out a flat edge, used some Titebond 2 that was VERY old and needs to go, and glued the paper down, and cut out hte sheet metal. Now just wait for it to dry up, and buzz it off with the sander, then go to install...

I'm looking forward to having this part DONE. Of course knowing my luck, I cut it where I have tou counter roll the sheet metal.

Oh, before I install, and after buzzing the paper and glue off, I an going to hammer down, and file off the sharp bits, smooth it out.

The barrel has got to go, and I am one step closer to that being a reality. And I am SERIOUSLY considering doing the 6" conversion while I am still in the garage, which means basically, TIA to both LCHIEN and mpc, and, well I could and should go on and on and on, but you get the idea. You guys have helped me figure a lot of this out. The more I look into it, the more I want to do 6" ducting. I may not do the 4" in metal until I move to the new shop.

So now, we go on to completing cabinet / storage builds.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

UPDATE: The neutral vane cleaned up a LOT easier than I anticipated. It's done. And a LOT easier than I expected. I am not certain I have it oriented correctly though. The curved opening part is aimed straight up to the angle of the separator ring. I am unsure if I am describing it correctly, however it matches Lorings photos.

I managed to dredge up enough 5" sheet metal from the Thien separator to adapt the hose to the 5x4x4 wye. So we are all up and connected.

I took a look into the filter, and even though there was some stringy stuff that got past, I was still seeing a LARGE amount of light through the filter. Good to go...

I have one concern though, there was no way to actually physically secure the neutral vane to the DC aside from friction fit. I figure I am going to drill a hole and rivet it in just to be sure...

I am pretty sure I should have tested airspeed at the end of the hose to determine CFM at least going into just before I split to the 2 4 inch lines...
                  Last edited by dbhost; 12-05-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    UPDATE: The neutral vane cleaned up a LOT easier than I anticipated. It's done. And a LOT easier than I expected. I am not certain I have it oriented correctly though. The curved opening part is aimed straight up to the angle of the separator ring. I am unsure if I am describing it correctly, however it matches Lorings photos.

I managed to dredge up enough 5" sheet metal from the Thien separator to adapt the hose to the 5x4x4 wye. So we are all up and connected.

I took a look into the filter, and even though there was some stringy stuff that got past, I was still seeing a LARGE amount of light through the filter. Good to go...

I have one concern though, there was no way to actually physically secure the neutral vane to the DC aside from friction fit. I figure I am going to drill a hole and rivet it in just to be sure...

I am pretty sure I should have tested airspeed at the end of the hose to determine CFM at least going into just before I split to the 2 4 inch lines...
                    My neutral vane is just wedged in there like you described. It doesn't appear to be going anywhere after 14 years.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

My neutral vane is just wedged in there like you described. It doesn't appear to be going anywhere after 14 years.
                      Well, with one single rivet, I guess that means mine won't budge for at least 28 years? LOL...

Yep, done. WIsh I had done it sooner. Had no idea just how easy it was. I was making it a MUCH harder job in my head than it was. And considering I got to play with my mini sledge hammer to beat that edge flat, I must say I had some fun doing it!

I had a bit of an epiphany tonight and realized. The job I want the zip tie anchors for isn't just to tie down zip ties, but to secure the cable as it comes into the saw up to the box where I make my connection to go to the motor, and keep extra cable from flopping into the pulleys.

I have a few cutoffs of plastic cable raceway from running network cabing from various jobs over the last 20 years. Why not use that? . I still need to make the grommet happy in its place, and finish routing that cable. THEN I can make my final connections / heat shrinks and close them into the box to be doubly sure. At that point, touch up the right side of the base, clean up a touch of surface rust on the table, and shoot some dry lube into the pivots on the Grizzly tensioner and be done with that. At least until after Santa visits...

The 55 gallon barrel will hopefully be accepted as a secondary recycling bin as we often as we are purging out junk from the various estates that have ended up in my house, we often exceed our one bin...

My B day is not long after new years, I am honestly kind of hoping that by then I can not necessarily be moving on the 6" duct migration. I might be an idiot, but I am leaning heavily toward that especially considering how short my overall runs are... But I digress. By the end of January I am hoping for...

#1. Dust collector to be done. Already there but I culd use some collection bags. $15.00 on Amazon... Anyone know of a cheaper supplier for replacement bottom bags?
                      #2. Band saw mods done. All that is left is to finish what is described above, and touch up the paint on the right side of the base. probably just paint the dumb thing black. Black paint is easy to get... MIght have to wrestle the saw off the mobile base and clean up and repaint the metal parts of that...
                      #3. Get the compressed air hard plumbing installed. 2 proper outlets, 1 direct threaded into the hose reel.
                      #4. Get the ballast bypass LED conversion done to the shop light fixtures.
                      #5. Get the stacks fo jettisonned drawers stashed into the attic, until the projects they are slated for are ready for them.
                      #6. Get the table saw, and workbench tops cleared. This means the ceiling fan on the workbench that is there to be repainted / recolored will be done. This should then go into the master bedroom and include the smart fan / light controller.

With any luck, I should in theory by then also have the levelling done sand & gravel laid down and compacted for the new shop foundation base. Again the plan is to lay out a permiter of concrete pavers. By this time I should have a good amount of the pallet lumber stripped down, stripped clean of any metals and well on its way to being glued up and turned into useable timbers. Most likely will need to purchase an assortment of 4x4s for the foundation, but once the skid foundation is laid down, everything else should in theory go up easy-ish...

May hold off on doing the 6" duct until I am moving into the new shop. I know I want the DC on the high roof side of the shop / closest the house, if for no other reason than to

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Dug out from my home office closet the hunk of Wiremold to get the task done on the bandsaw. WIll do this tonight. Woohoo progress toward a goal!

So status thus far?

Bandsaw. All tassk done with the following exceptions that are pending.
                        #1. Urethane tire installation. Waiting on Santa.
                        #2. Repaint base. Need to get some Rustoleum brush on gloss black.
                        #3. Convert dust collection to 2 2.5" ports. Need to select the proper ports.

What is done on it?
                        #1. Riser Block Kit.
                        #2. Grizzly Tension Release.with Cobra Coil.
                        #3. Carter tire brush.
                        #4. Ball Bearing guides upper and lower.
                        #5. Craftsman universal bandsaw fence.
                        #6. HF Mobile base.
                        #7. MLCS safety paddle power switch moved to frame post. New power cord, A.K.A. Sacrificed cheap 15' 16 ga extension cord wired up and heat shrink protected. Wire run contained within wiremold to keep it from flopping into the belts.
                        #8. Acculink belts.

Dust collector.

What is pending to be done with it?
                        #1. Replace impeller flange with 6". Pending purchase of flange.
                        #2. Upsize to 6" duct. Pending purchase of duct and duct fittings. 6" main and 4" branches to my 4" blast gates and hose..
                        #3. Swap in an MLCS 20 amp router / motor switch. I am sick and tired of reaching around to the back of the DC to turn it on and off... I should get this done, but my tool chest is kind of in the way. I'll get it done, eventually, once I get tired enough of it...

What has already been done to it?
                        #1. Wynn 35a cartridge filter.
                        #2. Wen impeller. If you have an HF DC, and want to massively improve the airflow, this 12" impeller wil REALLY do the job. Easy swap too.
                        #3. Neutral Vane installed, Thien 55 gallon side inlet drum eliminated. Thanks LCHIEN for the template. Easier than I expected.

Shop storage cabinets

What is pending to do?
                        #1. Finish building drawers for the miter saw cabinet, add doors. Need 1 sheet 3/4" cabinet grade ply.
                        #2. Full build of lathe storage bench. Accumulating 2x4s and 4x4s. Design is settled. WIll use pull out drawers, 4 of them, and the top surface the lathe will mount to will be a 2x4 glueup sort of a narrow workbench top glueup. Legs will be 4x4, and spreaders will be 2x4 with plywood dust panels rabbeted sides and back. Bottom compartment to hold 80lbs dry of quickcrete, mixed and poured for ballast. Need to get a welder friend of mine to fab up a heavy duty mobile base for this. The idea is to keep the lathe from dancing across the shop floor ever again...
                        #3. Drill press mobile storage cabinet. The kind that straddles the foot and column of the drill press. Design more or less done. 2 drawers, with open storage shelf, and rear stowage cubbies. Another sheet of plywood needed.

What is done already?
                        #1. Miter saw storage bench and dust hood. The basics o the cabinet are there and working well. LOTS of storage in the base that needs doors, and again, drawers.
                        #2. Mortiser cabinet. This keeps the mortiser table at the same height as the miter saw table, and the fence at full retraction at same depth of miter saw to allow stock to clear both.The bottom is where finishes have been stored.
                        #3. Shop tool multi player pegboard cabinets.
                        #4. Shop library cabinet. This will stay in the garage when I move the shop to the new shed building
                        #5. Tool stacker. Scroll saw needs a new panel though, the one it was mounted to when I got it is looking pretty rough. and isn't my standard size.
                        Last edited by dbhost; 12-06-2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

So updating the shop projects / cleanup status... Where am I today?

So status thus far?

#1. Urethane tire installation. Waiting on Santa.
                          #2. Repaint base. Need to get some color matched gloss enamel mixed up, thinned and spray with HVLP. Need to go to HD to get the paint made...
                          #3. Convert dust collection to 2 2.5" ports. Need to select the proper ports.

Dust collector.

What is pending to be done with it?
                          #1. Replace impeller flange with 6". Pending purchase of flange.
                          #2. Upsize to 6" duct. Pending purchase of duct and duct fittings. 6" main and 4" branches to my 4" blast gates and hose..
                          #3. Swap in an MLCS 20 amp router / motor switch. I am sick and tired of reaching around to the back of the DC to turn it on and off... Not super high on the priorities list though.
                          #4. Order a multi pack of collection bags...

Benchtop tools.

#1. Removed the undersized mount board for the Dremel scroll saw, and created / installed the 18x24 mount board. Nothing fancy, but it works.
                          #2. Removed the Ryobi 8" bench grinder / Wolverine jig from its mount board, created a cross foot stand for it. Basically a 4x4 post with legs / feet arranged in an X pattern, screwed and glued to the post, and of course some long coated deck screws holding the mount board in place. Bored a clean hole to hold the, bar / outrigger thing part fo the Wolverine jig vertically in storage to prevent from snagging as I walk by. Mounted it all up, slid the lathe over toward the door more, and put the now "Sharpening station" in place between the lathe, and the tool stacker. Need to add leveling feet, the floor slopes and it wobbles side to side even though it is dead flat. I guess I will get after that this week sometime.

Shop storage cabinets

What is pending to do?
                          #1. Finish building drawers for the miter saw cabinet, add doors. Need 1 sheet 3/4" cabinet grade ply.
                          #2. Threw myself into a tizzy looking at how others have solved the dancing lathe / lathe tools storage problem. May likely go with just a smaller cabinet on the stand spreaders, and a ballast box at the base. Less material to futz with, simple construction, can get this done ASAP once I manage getting the materials.
                          #3. Drill press mobile storage cabinet. The kind that straddles the foot and column of the drill press. Design more or less done. 2 drawers, with open storage shelf, and rear stowage cubbies. Another sheet of plywood needed. After a thorough investigation of some of the drawers from my SIL, I found a set of nice Cherry drawers, well Cherry faced at least. The joinery is simple nails and glue butt joints. Yay quality right? Anyway. I am thinking I can repurpose these for the drill press storage bench. Save some time, and reutilize otherwise waste material...

What other projects do I want / need to get the shop whipped into the shape I want?

#1. Install the compressed air piping system / Relocate the hose reel to overhead between the overhead doors. Place one outlet on each side at the entry doors, place one drop to run and outlet down the dust collection drop over the workbench.
                          #2. Add levelers to the sharpening station.
                          #3. Size up, get materials for, and start construction for 2 flip top carts. I am getting older, my back won't be improving as I age, so it is time for me to stop lifting particularly the planer, and jointer, so here is the layout I am thinking.. First flip top cart for the Ryobi AP1301 on one side, and the Sunhill SM-150B jointer on the other. On cart storage for pushblucks, and the 2.5 to 4" dust collection adapter.
                          #4. Convert the shop lights to LEDs, either do a bulb / keystone swap, or just swap out fixtures. To be blunt, most of the LED shoplight fixtures coming out of China I am seeing make my old T12 shoplight fixtures look like Caddliacs. I am seriously looking into upgrading my existing fixtures.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

So updating the shop projects / cleanup status... Where am I today?

So status thus far?

All of the above listed pending actions plus or minus changes noted here...

#1. Repaint base. Need to get some color matched gloss enamel mixed up, thinned and spray with HVLP. Going with Rustoleum hunter green enamel. Pending painting...

Benchtop tools.

#1. Grinder / sharpening stand. Added levellers. Pending painting with more of that Rustoleum hunter green enamel.

Shop storage cabinets

#1. Cleaning, organizing. Pending pickup of a couple of multi drawer paper organizers. Need a trip to Wally World...

What other projects do I want / need to get the shop whipped into the shape I want?

#1. Looking at the lighting issues. May seriously consider some inexpensive fixture LED shoplights.
                            #2. I NEED to get up off my butt and build a sheet goods / cutoff cart. I have the design / cutlist, but at plywood prices these days, ugh...

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Where am I today? Continued...

So status thus far?

All of the above listed pending actions plus or minus changes noted here...

#1. Repaint base. Need to get some color matched gloss enamel mixed up, I am going with the Rustoleum hunter green, applied via brush. I don't want to drag the saw out, nor do I want overspray from the HVLP. Still need to sand down the surface rust, prime and paint... But materials are here...

Benchtop tools.

#1. Grinder / sharpening stand. Done, paint drying. Once paint dried, grinder and Wolverine jig to be reinstalled, and stand put back in ploace. Using the time to clean behind by the dust collector ducting...

#1. I am leaning toward building a storage box for the Ryobi reciprocating saw. The issue is all about organization / storage. I have been encouraged to build a box jointed box for this. I am tempted to just slap a plywood box together. Not sure how I feel about box jointed plywood...

Ran some numbers yesterday, working on budget for shop projects. It's not going to be cheap... But it won't be like buying a new car, or even a couple of new hunting rifles... or one vintage Les Paul...

Comment

Working...