Shop improvement projects.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    UPDATE: The neutral vane cleaned up a LOT easier than I anticipated. It's done. And a LOT easier than I expected. I am not certain I have it oriented correctly though. The curved opening part is aimed straight up to the angle of the separator ring. I am unsure if I am describing it correctly, however it matches Lorings photos.

I managed to dredge up enough 5" sheet metal from the Thien separator to adapt the hose to the 5x4x4 wye. So we are all up and connected.

I took a look into the filter, and even though there was some stringy stuff that got past, I was still seeing a LARGE amount of light through the filter. Good to go...

I have one concern though, there was no way to actually physically secure the neutral vane to the DC aside from friction fit. I figure I am going to drill a hole and rivet it in just to be sure...

I am pretty sure I should have tested airspeed at the end of the hose to determine CFM at least going into just before I split to the 2 4 inch lines...
    Last edited by dbhost; 12-05-2021, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Somehow the following didn't go through / submitted...

### The stuff that didn't go through ###

Got the printout of the template for the neutral vane done. Got the 6" split duct, flattened one edge of it and ready to apply the template and start cutting. Wish I had a can of 3M Super Trim 77 on hand. My plan is to glue the teplate straight to the sheet metal, and cut along the dotted line as it were.

After MUCH debate, mostly with myself, I am leaning super heavily toward going with 6" sheet metal ducting. Pricing it out. Looks like Lowes has the best prices if I want to go with standard HVAC duct, and in theory the modded HF DC will keep up sufficient flow over the max 18 foot run. I am planning on riveting the joints and sealing with copius amounts of clear silicone, then aluminum duct tape.

Still waiting on those zip tie anchors. I need to remember to get them next time I am at Home Depot. I looked for them at Wally World with no luck... What did I expect right?

### End The stuff that didn't go through ###

Now on to updates for today. As I said last night I hammered out a flat edge, used some Titebond 2 that was VERY old and needs to go, and glued the paper down, and cut out hte sheet metal. Now just wait for it to dry up, and buzz it off with the sander, then go to install...

I'm looking forward to having this part DONE. Of course knowing my luck, I cut it where I have tou counter roll the sheet metal.

Oh, before I install, and after buzzing the paper and glue off, I an going to hammer down, and file off the sharp bits, smooth it out.

The barrel has got to go, and I am one step closer to that being a reality. And I am SERIOUSLY considering doing the 6" conversion while I am still in the garage, which means basically, TIA to both LCHIEN and mpc, and, well I could and should go on and on and on, but you get the idea. You guys have helped me figure a lot of this out. The more I look into it, the more I want to do 6" ducting. I may not do the 4" in metal until I move to the new shop.

So now, we go on to completing cabinet / storage builds.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Got the printout of the template for the neutral vane done. Got the 6" split duct, flattened one edge of it and ready to apply the template and start cutting. Wish I had a can of 3M Super Trim 77 on hand. My plan is to glue the teplate straight to the sheet metal, and cut along the dotted line as it were.

After MUCH debate, mostly with myself, I am leaning super heavily toward going with 6" sheet metal ducting. Pricing it out. Looks like Lowes has the best prices if I want to go with standard HVAC duct, and in theory the modded HF DC will keep up sufficient flow over the max 18 foot run. I am planning on riveting the joints and sealing with copius amounts of clear silicone, then aluminum duct tape.

Still waiting on those zip tie anchors. I need to remember to get them next time I am at Home Depot. I looked for them at Wally World with no luck... What did I expect right?

For those that are interested in upsizing an HF 2HP DC flange to 6" while retaining the ability to roll back, the Hydrofarm AC6F 6" Active Air Flange is a size appropriate replacement, Just lay the OE back to back against this one, transfter the mount hole locations / mark them. Supporting the flange and dimple with a center punch, drill, install.
    Last edited by dbhost; 12-05-2021, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    So no trip to Home Depot today. Just not feeling it.

Got funny. I wanted a series of data points in the dust collection that is covered in the what did you do today thread. So to accomplish this I put the DC back to the OE impeller configuration, and am waiting for delivery of an anemometer.

It's been a weary week. Glad the weekend is here, but seriously doubt I am going ot have a chance to relax...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Crimps and crimpers have arrived. I have temporarily wired the bandsaw with the crimps using blade connectors. It works as expected. I am needing to figure out what size screws are needed, or what size tap and then screws are needed for the holes in the riser block so I can restrain the cable with some cable strap as it goes down the saw. I am figuring at the riser block, and then at the base, into the base, and then using 3M taped zip tie anchors.

I am using an improvised bushing. A piece of cut off 1/2" OD rubber hose, and it is working perfectly.

Once i set up the cable routing to where it is nice and secure, no chance of the cable flopping for example into the path of the belt, then I will make my final connections and close up the base.

I see where the water softener that sits next to it has been causing some surface rust issues on the base, and mobile base. I need to repaint the stand. The question is where the heck can I get the paint?

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Quick update of the progress.

#1. Central Machinery 14" bandsaw mods. For the most part done, Heat shrink crimp connectors have arrived, the proper crimping tool has NOT. Amazon decided to ship them out of order. Allegedly the crimper will be here tomrorow. The tires will not be installed until after Christmas as they are officially part of my christmas gifts from my wife... IF Amazon delivers tomorrow early enough, may have the band saw done by tomorrow night, failing that next day...
    #2. Thien separator mod to the HF DC. The project panel I ordered is reportedly in at Home Depot, but I will be picking it up Friday. I just do NOT want to go out right now.
    #3. Plan for drill press rolling storage cabinet has been ordered. Waiting on shipment notification for that.
    #4. Lathe ballast / storage bench. Collecting 2x stock presently. I am planning on a 2x4 glueup butcher block top... Working on the actual cabinet design.
    #5. Miter saw bench. Not a single bit of progress on this thing. Won't be for a while
    #6. Been gathering measurements for the saw, space available for a base cabinet, and the sizes of the drawers. Need to find the outer portion of the sides and add that to the dimensions. Need to seriously get to drawing out the plans for a storage cabinet.

Spent some more time cleaning out junk, finding tools and putting them back where they belong...

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by leehljp
    1. Close the door
    2. forget how bad it needs to be cleaned.
    3. Procrastinate organizing
    4. Enjoy the rest!
    LOL, I have gone beyond where that would even potentially be a good idea. I need to be able to see my workbench again!

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    1. Close the door
    2. forget how bad it needs to be cleaned.
    3. Procrastinate organizing
    4. Enjoy the rest!

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    started a topic Shop improvement projects.

Shop improvement projects.

So just a quick status update and lumping them together. Here is my status on my ongoing shop / equipment updates.

#1. Central Machinery 14" bandsaw mods. For the most part done, I had to order more heat shrink crimps and got fed up with how badly they crimp using a standard crimper, so I ordered a heat shrink specific crimper. So still updating the power switch mod, Should be done mid / late week depending on when things show up.... Tires hae arrived, and haven't ordered the dust ports.
    #2. Thien separator mod to the HF DC. Pending project panel delivery, Pickup should be next Friday.. Update to 6" duct is funds and time away for now. So put a footnote in it and keep running 5" to dual 4" until I can afford to upgrade.
    #3. Plan for drill press rolling storage cabinet has been ordered. Already have a set of Harbor Freight urethane casters ready to be put to work... Considering mounting the pocket hole jig to a bench clampable mount board to simplify setup / teardown.
    #4. Lathe ballast / storage bench. Collecting 2x stock presently. I am planning on a 2x4 glueup butcher block top...
    #5. Miter saw bench. I guess I should work on those drawers huh? IF I manage to get the Metabo HPT 12" compact slider, I will be disassembling this (screwed together with some glue, but end grain glue on plywood is pointless), and lopping off a good amount of the back of the bench where the DC is routed. Probably reassess the design / drawers, cabinet storage.
    #6. Been gathering measurements for the saw, space available for a base cabinet, and the sizes of the drawers. Need to find the outer portion of the sides and add that to the dimensions. Need to seriously get to drawing out the plans for a storage cabinet.
    #7. Drill press storage cabinet. Ordered the back issue of woodsmith magazine that has the design / plans I wanted. $3.00 so no big deal. Pending shipping...

From the looks of it, I am hopeful that the price of plywood comes down soon. I need quite a bit of it...
    Last edited by dbhost; 11-30-2021, 02:58 PM.
Working...