• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

TV Platform

I am going to build a swivel TV stand based on parts of a Singer treadle machine stand to replace an old microwave cart in use now. Problem is the TV is too heavy for the 3/4" plywood to support. The obvious solution would be to laminate 2 layers of plywood and edge it with hardwood but I'm not sure that would be enough. It will ride on a 12" lazy Susan so what I do with the platform will need to be done to the top plate on the stand. The TV, with the stand weighs 39.9 lbs. but with the legs set wide apart all the weight is at the ends of the platform.

Is the doubled up plywood with 3'4" thick Maple banding around it enough or should I add more support. My thought was to cut a groove lengthwise about where the feet touch and add steel bars between the layers of plywood. Am i overthinking this or, if not, how thick and wide should the bars be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Platform.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	841907

Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I did this back in the ‘˜90s. The cabinet was a bookcase (Wood Magazine’s Towering Tomes plans) modified to house a 32”” CRT TV. The shelves were 3/4” oak veneer plywood with 1 1/2” x 3/4” front and rear strips rabbited onto the shelf for ridigity. The TV shelf had a 3/4— x 6— wide ply stiffener under the center of the shelf running the full length under the shelf. I used a 12” lazy Susan bearing on top of the shelf and a separate 3/4” plywood rotating shelf the size of the TV base. That shelf had strips on the front and rear to hide the bearing. I painted the shelf the TV sat on flat black to hide it inside the cabinet and to blend with the TV. I had to cut the back of the cabinet out to clear the protruding TV.

Stupid iPad editor!
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pappy (Don), I have the same thing... a old 30"-wide TV stand with a TV base like yours that have 34-35" apart forked legs just like yours.
      I have a black laminated particle board 36" wide just under the TV overhanding 3 inches on either side of the original TV stand.

With the legs less than an inch away from the edge it seems a bit dangerous.
      I have considered doubling the shelf board for more sturdiness and also adding a lip (not just a wraparound) that will hide the edges and also keep the legs from falling off the shelf if someone bumps it.

The other option is to double the shelf and them put depressions in the top shelf to retain the legs. As the legs have a shallow angle, it will take more like a wide stopped slot to retain them right.
      What has stopped me is that it takes two people to get the TV off and then put it back on and the missus can't really help me with the lifting.

You might consider one of those two options.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-03-2021, 11:23 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Loring and Jim, we actually bought this TV to mount on the wall in the master bedroom but the living room TV went on the fritz a couple of days later. The other TV is the same style and size, just an older version. The stand on it is more or less a T shape in the middle so the weight is over the lazy Susan. The plywood was cut just to extend under the whole width. I had the other TV repaired but decided to swap them and mount the older unit in the bedroom because it is a little lighter. I need to find out what the weight is on the older one and if it's not more than couple of pounds (feels like a lot more) switch them back. That would be the easiest solution but I'd really like the lighter one on the wall mount.

edit: The difference in weight is only 2 lbs. with the stand and 3.5 lbs. without the stand. Looks like the easiest solution will be to wall mount the new, slightly heavier TV and put the older one back on the stand. All I will need to do is beef up the top of the cabinet under the lazy Susan and be good to go.
        Last edited by Pappy; 01-04-2021, 02:27 PM.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Kinda like this? An old Singer treadle frame with 3/4” oak top and a 54” tv with swivel base. ( not a pretty combination for a living room, but it will work until I get a real cabinet built) I think you are overthinking the project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1B033BB-423E-485A-9FD8-29C743478BFD.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	841955

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

The base on the older TV is similar to yours. New stand will be similar to yours and your right, I am probably over thinking.(and over engineering). For the top of the cabinet I will probably laminate a piece of 1/2" to a piece of 3/4" plywood. The shelf will actually be the bottom of a box, possibly with a tinted glass door.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...