• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The other thing is the cutting length of the bit.
    I'm a bit confused as to the exact difference between a round nose and a core box bit.
    For lettering I think the cutting length needs to be a little longer than the radius... the major diameter should be below the surface of the sign, but just barely.
    If the cutting length is just the same as the radius you'll undercut the surface.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      The other thing is the cutting length of the bit.
      I'm a bit confused as to the exact difference between a round nose and a core box bit.
      For lettering I think the cutting length needs to be a little longer than the radius... the major diameter should be below the surface of the sign, but just barely.
      If the cutting length is just the same as the radius you'll undercut the surface.
      Yes, I am aware of the need to match precisely the radius and length with some bushings and some bits.

It is almost like thinking 3 D in several dimensions.

Some round nose bits have a longer cutting blade than others, and if 5/16 with a long blade, it will probably stick out of the bushing too far. I am thinking core box with the right depth blade. IF it were 1/4 inch bit, a round nose even with long blades would work all the way around as the depth could easily be adjusted with the plunge base.

I hope that makes sense.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bits gotta be retracted into the bushing ID entirely to be positioned before plunging.

Otherwise you are certain sooner or later even with great care, going to nick your plastic templates and destroy them.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-08-2020, 11:26 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Bits gotta be retracted into the bushing ID entirely to be positioned before plunging.
          I knew that at one time, but last night my mind was shot. I couldn't juggle the pictures mentally in my mind last night. I knew there was something missing!

I am house sitting my middle daughter's 3 large dogs and they get up early and go to bed late and are a handful. My mind was just shot yesterday. I get a break today as my wife and daughter get back tonight from a week at my sister in laws home in Orlando (two days drive for them.)
          Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I improved my clamping for routing short narrow boards with the sign templates. I used a modified Handscrew clamp with some fence clamps to make an obstruction free router area.

See post #19 in the following thread
            https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...u-made-part-ii

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201229_103609_001sm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	841872
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-02-2021, 03:53 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I bought some 2 inch wide blue painter tape (new) and use that for as much adhesion I can get in all directions. I will probably modify it some as I try different things,

I have used photoshop since '93-'94 and desktop layouts since then also. I dawned on me that I could make my own fonts to the correct size, (might require a touch of trial and error) and glue them to some 1/8" plywood and cut out the templates with my scrollsaw. I don't know if I can do it, but I am going to try.

In looking for templates for other item, I have found them somewhat limited in what I want. I might give the making of graphic templates a try on the scroll saw.
              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...