• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sign lettering

Click image for larger version  Name:	sign lettering.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	841141

Got this State Parks sign lettering kit from Rockler, it works pretty well and is easy to use. Uses two passes so you don't have the stencil-like split lettering. Also has Kerning so that wide bottom letters next to skinny bottom letters (like AV or LV) tuck under each other and look properly spaced which used to have to be a manual task to measure properly. Example the LV in CALVIN above.

Comes in 1.5", 2.25" and 3-3/8" high letters. Each size requires a different set/kit.

This is the 1.5" on 1x4 lumber.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-30-2020, 05:03 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That looks great, and I like the kerning feature!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have long admired that kit

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I have long admired that kit
        on sale right now, $20 off for $39.95 includes router bushing guide.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

IF you use signmaking.rockler.com
          if gives you a detailed instruction on what the kerning and two-passes will look like. After some practice you don't need to use it anymore. I wish it would tell you the exact length of the finished sign but it doesn't. Example showing two passes with Kerning spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sign.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	841163
          It has two endplate templates that I fasten down with masking tape and then you can sub the 2nd pass templates accurate in place without moving the whole thing.
          Attached Files
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN

on sale right now, $20 off for $39.95 includes router bushing guide.
            Ooh, that is a good price. I just never had a need for it unless I redo all the street signs here which are painted on the curb rather than up on a pole like in the US.

I wonder if my cordless Ryobi palm router can take these bushings. All my big routers are in storage.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ooh, that is a good price. I just never had a need for it unless I redo all the street signs here which are painted on the curb rather than up on a pole like in the US.

I wonder if my cordless Ryobi palm router can take these bushings. All my big routers are in storage.
              I read in the comments on the Rockler site that people were using palm routers. But you need a plunge base and it has to take the standard router guide bushings.
              I have a Bosch Colt but I don't have the plunge base for it. I use the Bosch EVS-1617 with the plunge base.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looking forward to seeing the final product. Painting the letters black?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looking forward to seeing the final product. Painting the letters black?
                  One suggestion is that you paint the blank, perhaps black or a dark color, before cutting for a good contrast to bare wood exposed.
                  The other way is to fill the letters afterwards.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

THANKS LORING, AND NOW FOR A TIP!

I went to Rocklers site, logged in, looked at the three sizes and wondered which I would use the most. I picked the 2 1/4 inch. Then I thought about it, wavered, and then decided to check out. The tax and shipping took it to $50+ and I said, No, I have so many things that I have not used yet. So I just left it there. That was about 4 PM my time.

6:30PM my time I get an email saying: Still want it? You can have free shipping! So I went and got it with free shipping, saving about $8.00!

I did not check about the bushing set but will take what they send. I have several bushing sets for 1/4 and 1/2 inch bits.

OH, It is on backorder until Nov 2, but not a problem for me.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 10-30-2020, 06:59 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
                      THANKS LORING, AND NOW FOR A TIP!

I went to Rocklers site, logged in, looked at the three sizes and wondered which I would use the most. I picked the 2 1/4 inch. Then I thought about it, wavered, and then decided to check out. The tax and shipping took it to $50+ and I said, No, I have so many things that I have not used yet. So I just left it there. That was about 4 PM my time.

6:30PM my time I get an email saying: Still want it? You can have free shipping! So I went and got it with free shipping, saving about $8.00!

I did not check about the bushing set but will take what they send. I have several bushing sets for 1/4 and 1/2 inch bits.

OH, It is on backorder until Nov 2, but not a problem for me.
                      I was thinking about getting the 2.25" set, Its in the cart, they automatically applied V91040 coupon code, not sure what it is but I have a $0 shipping option.
                      I think you need a 3/8" dia. round nose or core box bit for that set. Or a straight or a V-groove if you prefer that look.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-31-2020, 02:02 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                        Established Member
                        • Jul 2020
                        • Midwest
                        • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

I commonly load the cart and go partially through the purchase process ...enough to give my email...and halt. Then I wait for the inevitable coupon/ offer to come. Usually within 24 hours.

Has saved me lots of $$.

Just did this on katz Moses woodworking site this week...

Muhahahahhhhaaaa
                        Harumpf!
                        GrumpyDad

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

I was thinking about getting the 2.25" set, Its in the cart, they automatically applied V91040 coupon code, not sure what it is but I have a $0 shipping option.
                          I think you need a 3/8" dia. round nose or core box bit for that set. Or a straight or a V-groove if you prefer that look.
                          Did you order the Rockler router bit or, did you use one you had on hand or order from MLCS?
                          Rocklers seem expensive.
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp

Did you order the Rockler router bit or, did you use one you had on hand or order from MLCS?
                            Rocklers seem expensive.
                            Hank, I have the 1.5" set. THey recommended the 3/16 round nose bit which I got for $20. But the bushing has an ID of 5/16 so I got a cheap 1/4" round nose from Amazon for $7.95 and I really like the fatter strokes a lot. Makes a big difference.

For the 2.25" set they have a bushing ID of 1/2" and the recommended bit is 3/8" dia. round nose. A 7/16" might fit but I couldn't find any. The Rockler 3/8" is expensive, I think it was $29. Amazon or MLCS will get you a much cheaper bit. I think Amazon has Freud 3/16 radius for 18.86 and Yonico 3/16 radius for $8.95. MLCS is $12.

Also be careful a lot of round nose are sold by radius not dia. so a 3/16" radius is a 3/8 in dia.

The 1/4" Dia Yonico I bought left a bit of a fuzzy edge on a poplar board, I have to sand the face 150 grit to clean up the edge. Not sure if MLCS or Freud is better about that. Before sanding: (sorry about focus) but you can see the fuzz
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PA290006sm.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	841189

after sanding
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	PA290009sm.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	841188
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-31-2020, 02:53 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Thanks Loring. I was wondering if the templates were designed for some kind of specifics for Rockler bits. I have been noticing the differences in cutting heights and blades and radius vs diameter. I have some that might do. If not, I will order one for each set. I am kind of skittish of the real cheap bits.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
                              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...