X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gbotha
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2017

DIY panel saw.

Anyone ever built one, but with a sliding rip cut ie. the saw moves horizontal as well as vertical, not the panel. We have a steel frame, that was intended for a MASLOW CNC router project, but we came into possession of a V Carve. Now we have this stand that looks exactly like a panel saw, but space is an issue. Moving the panel would require18-20 feet of space, moving the saw, 9-10.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

A panel saw takes up so much wall space. It’s hard to justify owning one unless you are going to build a lot of cabinets and plywood furniture...... or have a really large shop. My son built one as you described, horizontal and vertical sliding where the saw could rotate 90 degrees for either function. My panel saw is is a Mikita track saw and a sheet of foam insulation.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I built one in the early '90s when I lived in the Osaka area of Japan. I had just moved into that neighborhood and had some extra construction to do. I attached it to the garage wall. I used it for about a year off and on and then didn't need it nearly as much as I thought I would. That plus most of the plywood at local stores was 3 ft by 6 ft., so it didn't need cutting down like 4x8 sheets. It worked ok but I did not add a DC to it, which made for lots of dust an sawdust.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Gbotha
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2017

The metal frame is almost perfect for a panel saw. right now, all the plywood scraps and future projects for the 8x4 CNC are leaning against it. The plan is that it would be used to cut panels to make them more easily to manhandle onto the CNC. Its a "co-op" makerspace. The frame which was a computerized hanging router system, [MASLOW] for cutting 8x4 plywood, is now 90 deg to the wall To make space for the 8x4 CNC ROOT2. and a huge 3D hang printer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	400px-Maslow9.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	837735

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Good for you! Finally someone that has enough wall space for a panel saw, and a reason to have one!
          I read up on the Maslow cnc several years ago and made the same decision with it as the panel saw. Are you familiar with Mill Right CNC? I’ve watched my neighbor and friend start that company with a small desktop cnc router with all wood parts to where it is today producing a really nice array of machines.
          capncarl

Comment

• Gbotha
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2017

I wish we still had that space!! This is today. Jammed in between the CNC cotrol and wood storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maslow.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	837742
            Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

That’s capncarls shop law #1.
              #1 A shop is never large enough, it doesn’t matter how much room you have in your shop, it will quickly become full of stuff that you have no real need for.
              #2 Your shop is always the target storage place for the kids old bicycles, old luggage.... and your in-laws old bedroom suite that they want to save for their kids.
              #3 If you ever have intentions to put an automobile in your shop, do so before you move in, and take photos because you might want to remind yourself that an automobile will fit in your shop. After you start using the shop the automobile will not fit.
              #4 There is never enough light in the shop.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I saw this one on Pintrest this morning:

24 mars 2019 - Sресіаlіzаtіоn in your wоrk іѕ аlwауѕ a gооd idea, bесаuѕе іt will to іmрrоvе your ѕрееd whеn соmрlеtіng уоur wооdwоrkіng рrоjесtѕ whіlе maintaining a high level of ԛuаlіtу. It іѕ important thаt уоu...
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hey that's neat idea
              • Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Last night I threw out a bunch of stuff that hadn't been used in years. I started making hangers for a bike that's always in the way. Ordered two more LED light strips to hang on the garage door, which sits over the TS and assembly/outfeed table (a 12v umbilical feeds strips on the garage door). But no, a car has never been in my shops. The 1-car garage does house motorcycles, but that's different.

Comment

Working...