• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Need ideas for laundry nook

This is our laundry nook. My biggest issues with it are two-fold.

The doors are a PITA. They only open to 90deg so it makes it a very tight space to work in. They block enough of the dryer noise for me to keep them in place (and also disguise the mess). I was thinking I could convert them to bifold doors or are there hinges that will let me open the doors to 180deg?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181016_095610-756x1008.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	835082

Name:	IMG_20181016_095616-756x1008.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	835083

You can also see the units are partially hidden behind the door frame which makes it hard to work in, but I think they're setup that way because it would make it difficult to access the stuff to the right of the units as well as the shutoffs. There's about 1.5' space behind the units. I was thinking about pushing the units to the back and to the left leaving me space to the right for shelves for detergent, etc. You would then have to be in the nook, though, to do laundry instead of standing in the hallway. I'd rather move them to the right but I want to maintain access to the shutoffs.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Can anyone tell that apartment living is getting to me? Other than some glass shelves I installed for a bar and a shelf near the entryway for hats, etc, this is the biggest DIY challenge I have going . It's not even on my honey-do list which practically doesn't exist anymore!

Thanks
    Paul
    ​​​​

Name:	IMG_20181016_095201-756x1008.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	835084
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Bluhm makes an inset cup hing that would open 170 degrees. It won't quite get you to to 180 degrees, but it will be close and should be a drop in replacement assuming the cup hinges installed are standard.

Bluhm 170 Degree Cup Hinge at Rockler

Bluhm 170 Degree Cup Hinge
    Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      atgcpaul commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, I'll check out those hinges.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

They sure didn’t leave you much room to play with did they?
    What kind of dryer vent hose or duct pipe does the dryer have? is the washer and dryer yours or the apartments?
    Im not sure I wouldn’t pick up the washer and dryer and set them on a furniture dolly so you could move them around easily to visualize potential shelves and storage in that crack they call a closet!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I agree on those hinges. I've used them and they open really far. Probably 140 degrees I think? Huge improvement.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
        They sure didn’t leave you much room to play with did they?
        What kind of dryer vent hose or duct pipe does the dryer have? is the washer and dryer yours or the apartments?
        Im not sure I wouldn’t pick up the washer and dryer and set them on a furniture dolly so you could move them around easily to visualize potential shelves and storage in that crack they call a closet!
        There's a vent for the dryer but it's not connected; it's a ductless/condensation dryer and was provided with the apartment along with the washer. They seem to be about 2/3 the size of the washer/dryer we had back in the US.

My wife cringed at the thought of pushing the units into the back corner. I'm just going to do it and see how she reacts. She can't move them herself and I've got a thing to go to tonight so she'll get a whole night to get accustomed to it.

Comment

Working...