New kitchen cabinets some assembly required.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

New kitchen cabinets some assembly required.

This kicks off the final phase of remodeling our house. I just picked up the new kitchen cabinets minus the drawers. I expect assembly to take me about a month. They'll eventually be shaker style frameless.

Cabinet Sides and Backs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	825669

Doors and Drawer Fronts
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	825670
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I always feel better when I have the material home ready to start making sawdust. LOML won't let me make the cabinets for this house (she thinks the kitchen will be torn up too long) or I would be trying to assemble a pile of material too.

How are you going to cut it up? I would use my track saw a lot - and the BT3100 and router table for the doors. I did one kitchen a long time ago out of oak plywood and solid oak raised panel doors. It was a lot of work but I enjoyed it - and the result.

Comment

• Black walnut
      Administrator
      • Aug 2015
      • BT3K

looks like you have some work ahead. Enjoy!
      just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow, how many cabinets do you have to make? Is the plywood prefinijshes?

Not that I've ever made a whole kitchen's worth of cabinets, but for the few kitchen base cabinets I have made, I found it easier and used less material if I made a separate base/toekick area and have the square base sit on top after the base has been leveled.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by JimD
          I always feel better when I have the material home ready to start making sawdust. LOML won't let me make the cabinets for this house (she thinks the kitchen will be torn up too long) or I would be trying to assemble a pile of material too.

How are you going to cut it up? I would use my track saw a lot - and the BT3100 and router table for the doors. I did one kitchen a long time ago out of oak plywood and solid oak raised panel doors. It was a lot of work but I enjoyed it - and the result.
          The cabinets will be complete before we start the demolition so it won't change the time the house is torn apart, which will still be 6-9 months. I'll definitely be using my track saw to break down the sheets after I edge band the long edge of each one.
          Last edited by twistsol; 06-05-2016, 08:18 AM.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            Wow, how many cabinets do you have to make? Is the plywood prefinijshes?

Not that I've ever made a whole kitchen's worth of cabinets, but for the few kitchen base cabinets I have made, I found it easier and used less material if I made a separate base/toekick area and have the square base sit on top after the base has been leveled.
            The kitchen is 14 x 24 with an island and we're redoing the master bath as well so it is a lot of cabinets. Materials are about $7k but even Ikea and Cabinets to Go were $20k plus.

Since the floor in the house isn't level, I plan to build a 4" base and level that to set the bases on. You're right, it saves material, makes them easier to build and easier to level the base. When my wife said she wanted frameless vs. face frame cabinets I secretly leapt for joy.
            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
              When my wife said she wanted frameless vs. face frame cabinets I secretly leapt for joy.
              I know that feeling! It's kinda rare, but I know it!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

A stack of plywood will eat up all of your floor space in a hurry. Im in process of building cabinets for our large laundry room now. I have finished the first wall, phase 1, and have taken delivery of the material for the next phase 2, and went ahead and built a roll around lumber rack for 18 sheets of plywood so I wouldn't have to keep climbing over it. The first stack was always in front of something I needed. My poor wife can't make up her mind about what she really wants so she insists that I build, finish and install 1 set of wall cabinets first, phase 1, then she can decide what she wants done with the back wall, then I can build, finish and install them, phase 2, and she will decide about the other wall next, phase 3. Building the cabinets isn't that big of a deal, it's all the sanding, filling in priming, clean up from priming, sanding again, first coat paint, clean up, finish coat and clean up again. I put my foot down after phase 1 cabinets were installed, I ain't doing it like this no more! It will be build, finish and install, period, make up your mind, woman! Gotta go, got her in the shop sanding primer, bless her heart!
                capncarl

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

That's a very good start!! Have phun!
                  "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log