• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Where to source metal case corners?

I will be needing to build a custom mixing console road case here shortly, I would like to have it come out a bit more professional than the typical plywood box painted black. I want to use proper rounded steel case corners such as these...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice-finishing-flight-case-metal-corner-Ball-Corners-Case-Corner-Furniture-Corners.jpg_200x200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	801003

I need corners though, that will allow me to conceal some 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum L strip. The idea is to completely cover / conceal the joint. I will be using 1/2" ply for this project, and most likely covering it with "rat fur" indoor / outdoor carpeting.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

The correct to search term seems to be "trunk corners". Many hits on the Google.
    JR

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

That helps, and my local Rockler has them! Thanks!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

My personal favorite for hardware is Lee-Valley. Here's a link to their "corners": http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware....aspx?action=n

Check out the "Trunk Corners", item C as it appears to be similar to your picture.

I hope this helps,

CWS

ps, I have no affiliation with L-V except as a very satisfied customer. Even if you don't order from them, you should ask for both their tool and hardware catalogs.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Paul649
          Handtools only
          • Mar 2013
          • Mesa, Az
          • delta

Originally posted by dbhost
          I will be needing to build a custom mixing console road case here shortly, I would like to have it come out a bit more professional than the typical plywood box painted black. I want to use proper rounded steel case corners such as these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22390[/ATTACH]

I need corners though, that will allow me to conceal some 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum L strip. The idea is to completely cover / conceal the joint. I will be using 1/2" ply for this project, and most likely covering it with "rat fur" indoor / outdoor carpeting.
          http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/categories/Corners/ The best I have ever use for cases and the best price.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I'm sure Rockler carries a selection of those.

Simon Says Stamp is your one-stop shop for paper crafting goodness & the world's largest selection of paper art supplies. Shop online with us here.

Penn-Elcom C1819N Metal Cabinet Corner Nickel LippedProtect your investment! This high quality cabinet corner features all steel construction and is perfect for your next PA speaker or amplifier project. Manufactured by Penn-Elcom in the UK.Specifications: • Description: Cabinet corner, wrap-around style that suits 3/4" wood with vinyl or paint covering, 2 leg • Dimensions: 1.42" x 0.87" • Interior radius: 12 mm/0.472" • Metal thickness: 0.9 mm/20 gauge steel • Designed for #6 screws • Finish: Nickel • Penn model C1819N.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2015, 01:14 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I saw Alu diamond plate pieces at the last car show/swap meet for cheap. It was drops, the thin stuff, from making truck tool boxes etc., 1x4', 2x2'... For $5,10 per piece. Just right for a trunk.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

No problem. The project intended is a flight type case for a Behringer XENYX X2442USB mixer. (mixing console / desk). Basically I need to build a basic piano hinged box, recessed of course, handle, and latches that can sit flush. Pad the interior and hold the mixer firm so that no damage occours to the mixer during transport. Professionally built low end cases for these run around $300.00 and they are junk. I know I can build a better case for around $70.00 if I can keep the cost of the hardware down.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

You know, for some reason I never thought of until literally just now, I could actually bother to make this a NICE box instead of just a utilitarian piece. Something in my head is telling me to build this with pecan / black walnut and dovetail it... I need the practice anyway.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

You said that this was a flight type case, if you build a nice box and let the airlines get their wrecking crews hands on it (baggage handlers) you will get your feelings hurt. It will be trash so bad you won't even recognize it. Our last flight we had several pieces of new luggage that was so nasty and banged up it wouldn't even close!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                        You said that this was a flight type case, if you build a nice box and let the airlines get their wrecking crews hands on it (baggage handlers) you will get your feelings hurt. It will be trash so bad you won't even recognize it. Our last flight we had several pieces of new luggage that was so nasty and banged up it wouldn't even close!
                        It's called Patina.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          It's called Patina.
                          Or mojo, but yeah, good point... Rats. Back to the plywood and metal corners thought process.

For what it's worth, flight case is the type, but the odds of this ever getting on an airplane are slim to none. HOWEVER, hurried load ins or outs from say a rained out outdoor gig can result in gear / case damage. Probably better to call it a "Road Case". Mixer case is first, then a large rolling case for the powered PA speakers, and amp cabs. Instruments already have nice cases....
                          Last edited by dbhost; 01-06-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Mixer case has been rendered moot. I found a fantastic deal on a semi rigid gig bag made specifically for my mixer... I have zero intent to let anyone aside from my band mates or myself touch it, load, unload it, so in the bag with a few T shirts for extra padding, and we should be good to go!

Comment

Working...