• Show
Clear All
  • lombard
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2004
    • Merritt Island, FL

Need help mounting plank to a wall

All,

I'm fabricating a couple of decorative gifts for some friends and family. At their most basic element, they're just planks of wood that need to mount flat to a wall. They need to mount securely enough to withstand some tension (pulling force away from the wall) and some shear (pulling force down to the floor). Obviously, the simplest method is to just drive screws through the planks into the wall studs, but that would eliminate the decorative nature of them. I've got a similar item that was given as a gift to me by a buddy, and it's secured to the wall with a couple of strips of double sided tape. It works well, but removal will probably cause some significant damage to the paint and texture on the wall.

I did some browsing online and at Rockler for some off the shelf hangers that could be screwed to the wall, then mate to the pieces via key slots/t-slots (or similar). Think old school wall mounted telephone plates. I could probably fabricate something similar, given the necessary time, but Christmas is fast approaching. I have had zero luck finding something off the shelf.

Any recommendations?
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I've had really good luck using 2 keyhole plates on the back of heavy wall hangings. They are available at Lowes, HD, Rockler and are probably for sale at hardware stores.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	787509

Comment

• lombard
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2004
      • Merritt Island, FL

Originally posted by capncarl
      I've had really good luck using 2 keyhole plates on the back of heavy wall hangings. They are available at Lowes, HD, Rockler and are probably for sale at hardware stores.
      Almost exactly what I'm looking for. I can make due with that. May use several of them, hog out a bit of the back of the pieces (to allow a nearly flush mount), install the hangers, then fabricate a plate with matching screws that can be hung on a wall however the recipient prefers. Mount the plate, hang the gift piece on it.

I must have been having a brain fart when I was searching. Coulda sworn I did a google search for keyhole hangers. Guess not.

Thanks!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

You could countersink your screw heads and plug them as well... I have done that a few times. The keyhole slot hangers are much better and fully concealing your attachment points though.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Depending on how flush to the wall you need them to be you can use a french cleat style attachment. I have see aluminium picture/mirror hanging options that work on the same principal and are reasonably thin.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Depending on the weight of your wall hanging, you may want to consider whether a dry-wall anchor is appropriate. This should work ok with the keyhole plate suggestion.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are keyhole plates, also you can route keyholes into the back of your work with an appropriate bit.
              For larger weights a french cleat as has been suggested would work.

Either way requires screwing a couple of screws into the wall and then you have to decide if a drywall swrew with expanding base or toggle bolt will work or if you have to screw it into a stud which resitcs the location a bit (not so much for French cleat which can be anywhere along the cleat.)
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by poolhound
                Depending on how flush to the wall you need them to be you can use a french cleat style attachment. I have see aluminium picture/mirror hanging options that work on the same principal and are reasonably thin.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-Hangm...5310/202341623
                Or similar: http://www.rockler.com/2-z-clips

Comment

Working...