• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Creating a groove for a charging cord

I have both an iPhone and an Apple Watch, and would like to get an organizer on my nightstand which will give me a place to charge them without so much clutter. Seems like a fun little project to build.

In surfing the net, I see a few designs made of wood such as the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2065.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	800953

I like the simplicity of this one, but my first question is "ow in the world can I make that little cable grove going from the watch charger holder (the circle at left) to the other side? I'm assuming I could do the other slot and notch (for the iphone) on the router table, but the thin little cord slot curves and such.

Thoughts?
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I recently needed to cut a groove like this in a project. I have a dremel with a router base, and used the small straight bit to do it. It was likely 1/8 wide, which was ok for my application, but not sure if that works for your cord. Anyway, I'd make that the first operation on the raw block, and use a template and bushing to guide it. Likely need several passes with the bit lowered each time until you reach the desired depth. Then make the other cuts.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

That picture makes it look like there are three or more boards laminated together. It looks like the cuts were made and then laminated together and then sanded to look like a it was cut as a single piece. Otherwise, it was done with a laser or computer controlled router of some sort.

I am curious as to how you make one. Let us know.
      Last edited by leehljp; 09-20-2015, 08:04 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I would say like Hank. Some machining was done before glue up and some afterward. Pretty cool item.
        Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

My first thought was that the circle, the wire groove and the cellphone slot are all manageable with a set of three templates (or one if you prefer). THe thin slot is hardest becausehigh aspect (depth to width) bits are very easily broken if taking too much depth of cut, so it will take a lot of passes and I'd buy an extra bit or two as inusrance that you don't need it. The thing that's not clear is the depth of that thin slot - just at the end or over the whole length to the watch cup?

Using a template guide bushing with your template(s) would be the way to go.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Plan it like you were building a band saw box?
            capncarl

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

A friend recently made a "Bedside Butler" from zebra wood with a similar groove for the iphone cord. Most was done with a router and template but the section for the cord and plug end was done with chisels. His was a little flatter in shape though.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                That picture makes it look like there are three or more boards laminated together. It looks like the cuts were made and then laminated together and then sanded to look like a it was cut as a single piece. Otherwise, it was done with a laser or computer controlled router of some sort.

I am curious as to how you make one. Let us know.
                I can't even picture how I'd do that narrow cut as a glue-up.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

My take on Hank's lamination thoughts:
                  Not knowing dimensions of this - If you took 9 square pen-blank sized pieces, to be glued up 3 high and 3 deep - before glue up, take the top center piece and cut in the slot with a band saw; then, glue up and do the other machining. If this is only a 3-layer glue up, you might take the top layer and cut that slot in with a scroll saw - then glue up and do the other machining.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Build it like it was a band saw box..... Top layer of wood ONLY has the slot that can be cut with a band saw and since this piece can be cut in half, can be finished with the router or whatever. Then the top layer is glued back together since you cut it in half to get the blade in to the slot. Then you can laminate top layer to layer #2, maybe even layer #3 and cut your other holes. No aligning problems that way.
                    capncarl

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

Some great ideas here. I need to get to my drawing board and sketch up something.

Comment

Working...