• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by ArtworksIII
    . I'm working on a Hound dog and Lisa Marie that aren't the aircraft at Graceland like the one to the left...... Thanks for having me SawdustZone....
    I immediately noticed that the model on the left was not like the LM. I think Elvis used 707s.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2015
      • Spokane Wa
      • Craftsman

Elvis used Convair 880's over the 707 and I'm not sure what the Houndog was but I'm looking at a gulfstream challenger sort of a what if deal. I'll post some photos soon.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • Spokane Wa
        • Craftsman

Capncarl Thanks for your interest ! Yeah I do know model making is a labor-intensive hobby and if one is inspired to try one let me know if I'm able to help or anything. I'm 50 how many more fences and cupboards do I need to build? Models are very passive compared to blowing #4 cylinder on my 64 bug. My interest in models spans 20 years of hobby shopping and wood is abundant compared to plastic. I'm just trying to show what one person does for fun. I'll post different subjects as I go so stay tuned.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Elvis used Convair 880's over the 707 and I'm not sure what the Houndog was but I'm looking at a gulfstream challenger sort of a what if deal. I'll post some photos soon.
          You are right about the 880. It has been ages since I went by there. I used to go by that place a dozen times a month. Elvis bought a "farm/ranch" from a friend of my dad's about 15 miles from Graceland in the late 60's just outside of Horn Lake, MS. Dad had a Gulf Oil distributorship for this area and I delivered gas to the farm in the summers while I was in college. Even after Elvis bought it, I delivered gas to the Farm. I still have some copies of signed receipts (somewhere) from Vernon Presley who was his his dad. (I had to check with LOML and correct that last line from Col Tom Parker to Vernon P, she keeps all of my old memorabilia.)

BTW. Have you finished the P-51? If so, I missed it. The P-51 is my all time favorite aircraft! I would love to see your finished artwork model of the P-51!
          Last edited by leehljp; 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2015
            • Spokane Wa
            • Craftsman

Originally posted by leehljp
            You are right about the 880. It has been ages since I went by there. I used to go by that place a dozen times a month. Elvis bought a "farm/ranch" from a friend of my dad's about 15 miles from Graceland in the late 60's just outside of Horn Lake, MS. Dad had a Gulf Oil distributorship for this area and I delivered gas to the farm in the summers while I was in college. Even after Elvis bought it, I delivered gas to the Farm. I still have some copies of signed receipts (somewhere) from Vernon Presley who was his his dad. (I had to check with LOML and correct that last line from Col Tom Parker to Vernon P, she keeps all of my old memorabilia.)

BTW. Have you finished the P-51? If so, I missed it. The P-51 is my all time favorite aircraft! I would love to see your finished artwork model of the P-51!

Wow that's quite a chapter in your life leehljp. You reminded me I had to post the paint scheme for that P-51 weather vane. My hopes are some one will give it a try. By the way can any of you guess what tools I use?

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Chainsaw?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

Trained beavers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas
                => Bade's Personal Web Log
                => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I presume your main cutting tool is a bandsaw. I'm still intrigued about your ability and skills in keeping the symmetry of the fuselage, as your photos shows, what appears to be, very precise. Do you cut some kind of template in order to precisely mirror the cut?

Decades ago, when my "little guy" (he's a not so little 46 years old now), was in Cub Scouts, we built a Pinewood Derby car. Only power tools I had back then were handheld sabre and circular saws, and my Radial Arm Saw... not anything I could use for such a small block of wood.

It was well before micro-computers, so all my illustration works were still generated the old fashioned way on the drawing board with parallel, triangles and templates. So, I sketched out what we wanted (with Jason at my side), then drew the side and top views, transferring those orthographics onto the pine block.s We then cut the shape using a coping saw. The sculpting was then done with a rasp and finished with sandpaper. It was masked and painted with a couple of those little Testor's spray cans which were available back then. It all came out pretty neat, but I remember how challenging it was to get the little car to look 'just right'. It's not an easy thing to sculpt something like a car (or a fuselage or engine nacelle) so the results look balanced.

Are you familiar with the Beech Staggerwing (Beechcraft 17R)? Sort of the executive aircraft of the 30's & 40's. Beautiful airplane if there ever was one. That would be a great model.

While I do look at this post, I'm really not much into making comments, as I really have little to add. Your work is really admirable. I'm not much into helicopters or even modern commercial and private aircraft, especially jet aircraft. As a boy, my head was into earlier planes and I have an interest in WWII aircraft mostly. I used to have quite a few plastic models... back when they cost only 35-cents.

I took my first flight in a Piper J-3 when I was 14 (1958) and my squadron had an L-4 and in my mid teens I managed to get as many hours into that as I could afford with just my paper route and odd jobs (that cost $7 a tac hour). I've flown in several small private aircraft including the Beech Bonanza, and a dozen hours or so in C-47's.

A few years ago I used to make the annual trip up to Geneseo (NY) for their "War Birds" weekend. Lot's of WWII craft. What I loved most about Geneseo was that it was a grass strip, and on Friday (the first day of the show), there were few restrictions and you could walk right up the airplanes (look, but don't touch). You could talk to pilot/owners, mechanics etc. Lot's of P-51's, and even a P-40. B-17's, B-24's, and so many others. Even had a Halifax flyover, the last year I was able to go.

Modeling is time consuming, and I don't have much of that anymore. Even in retirement, there's not a lot of free time, unfortunately. But, I do get to look at your work, and I very much appreciate your postings and seeing the great skill you have.

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Spokane Wa
                    • Craftsman

Cwsmith. Thanks for your interest and guess. Some times I use the band saw but my primary tool is the Blade Runner as the first step in the process. I'm just here to show what the possibilities for pastime are. Yeah plastic kits never did justice for civilian aircraft and my models cost 4 dollars to make in materials. I do have copies of builders plates from Beech for the Stagger wing. 1942 is when all this model making started pre plastic. I was born in 62 so didn't pick up my skills until early 80's there are a lot of really great modelers out there,but they don't push the larger size like I do. There is one fellow in Novescotia Lou as I remember who makes models the size of a thumb. No stress gentleman just view chat wood work. I will drop in from time to time. I use to put these in shows at fairs but would never get them back so I just run around the net showing my work. The photo below is of a guy I knew at the University of Washington the billet model is C&C in similar fashion to wood. Enjoy guys stay tuned........."almost forgot" Yes templates are used in each phase of construction. A lot of times a client sends the hard copy of the paint graphic to be made into a template.

Click image for larger version

Name:	acd11-0057-005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	787333

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Spokane Wa
                      • Craftsman

I apologize for replying too much to this thread but I think to hold your interest it's nice to show a lot of comparisons. Here you see old partial Beechcraft collection. 70 years of Industry standard delegates scale so I've tried to not deviate from 1/32nd dimensionally perfect for a shelf of 9 inch width.

Name:	20150802_134753.jpg
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	787338
                      Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Spokane Wa
                        • Craftsman

I'd probably go nuts if I had to continually build the same form over and over, but this one is worth it as it's pilot ship 'those who fly it'. World wide numbers in the low hundreds most of those are in other countries. There are 16 here in the NorthWest. Not always doing model aircraft is where brackets come in these are earmarked for the front porch project. We replaced the pillars with 12 foot 6x6 posts and re decked with the original tung and grove decking. Now for the cedar siding which are actually fence boards.Click image for larger version

Name:	K max.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	787352Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket work..jpg
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	787356 The brackets below are for templates to produce the next set. Just like cutting sheet stock a plan is helpful. Scroll saws are a must.
                        Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-07-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Spokane Wa
                          • Craftsman

When one finds his niche pursuing it is the challenge. This was an order done quite awhile ago but gives you an idea of my processes.

Name:	Medstar project.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	787357

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Spokane Wa
                            • Craftsman

Fire bomber project

I'm going to be trying working up this water bomber over the weekend for an intrested group. This will be fairly large on a stand. the model will be similar to paint scheme. Stay tuned Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	787363Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-215.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	787364Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 m.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	787369Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 n.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	787370 This weekend was almost perfect shop conditions. Not easy to work in a shop that is a furnace.
                            Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I enjoy your posts!
                              THanks for sharing with us.

Loring
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                                Internet Fact Checker
                                • Dec 2002
                                • Katy, TX, USA.
                                • BT3000 vintage 1999

No need to apologize, I'm enjoying the models.

I apologize for replying too much to this thread but I think to hold your interest it's nice to show a lot of comparisons. Here you see old partial Beechcraft collection. 70 years of Industry standard delegates scale so I've tried to not deviate from 1/32nd dimensionally perfect for a shelf of 9 inch width.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22033[/ATTACH]
                                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...