Threaded Inserts ????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 1134
    • Bayfield Co., WI

    #16
    I have discovered that the ones with barbs, straight from our small town hardware store, work beautifully if, instead of using a hammer, you position it over the hole and use a C-clamp head or vise to press it in, slowly tightening the pressure until it goes in all the way.

    Comment

    • RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 3136
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

      #17
      Originally posted by gwyneth
      I have discovered that the ones with barbs, straight from our small town hardware store, work beautifully if, instead of using a hammer, you position it over the hole and use a C-clamp head or vise to press it in, slowly tightening the pressure until it goes in all the way.
      -OR-

      If you can get at the "rear" - using a fender washer and a 1/4" studded knob (or a bolt), just tighten it in
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

      Comment

      • movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 190
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

        #18
        I ordered the shorter barbed versions this am (1/2 inch) and I'll try the clamped technique w/ expoxy for the back of the fences as I want to have a clean face design. For the areas that I can't clamp I'll try the ideas above so thanks everyone, pictures should be posted for both the drill press and router table as soon as I can install the parts !!!

        Comment

        • BT3 WOODOG
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007
          • 50

          #19
          I orderd mine from McMaster Carr.com . They worked great in My router table top for leveling the router plate w/plastic thumb screws. Also the ones I ordered take a allen wrench to install!
          Last edited by BT3 WOODOG; 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM.

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #20
            I like McMaster Carr but I got a new catalog from McFeely's today and have to comment they have a lot of variety. They have small sizes and also have Brass, Steel, and Stainless steel. Plus they have a couple of varieties that you drive in with a hex wrench.

            Jim

            Comment

            • THyman
              Established Member
              • Feb 2005
              • 315
              • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

              #21
              Does anybody know if there is an article or chart showing what size hole to drill for thread insert? Also does anyone know what shopnotes or wood magazine the article was in?

              Thanks.
              War Eagle!

              Comment

              • MikeMcCoy
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2004
                • 790
                • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                • Delta Contractor Saw

                #22
                Here you go - there are separate charts for softwood and hardwood.

                http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/hardWood.html

                Comment

                • LCHIEN
                  Super Moderator
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 22085
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

                  #23
                  Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                  Here you go - there are separate charts for softwood and hardwood.

                  http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/hardWood.html

                  More importantly, there are separate (different) parts for hardwoods and softwoods, and they don't say which ones are best for Plywood!

                  http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/softWood.html
                  http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/hardWood.html

                  I think there are some differences in application between the threaded inserts with threaded bodies and the ones we also sometimes call T-nuts withthe little barbs and the flange.

                  The t-nut/barbed/flange ones have no pullout strength at all from the insertion side, they must be pulled into the wood meaning pul from the other side.

                  The external thread screw-in threaded inserts like Mike McCoy references and the OP is trying to use, have theoretical very high pull out strength from side opposite the insertion side, but should also be pretty good from the insertion side meaning they can be used blind (whereas the T-nuts cannot).

                  Now some of those flanged T-nuts can be had with mounting holes in the flange instead of barbs... that would help hold it in but the screws are generally pretty small.

                  Note also in the E-Z lok instructions it advises for the Hardwod ones that you should sink it 1/16th below the surface for max strength. One of the posters advised using a washer to set it flush - that would not be a good idea to set it flush, then.

                  I think the OP should call or e-mail EZ-lok asking for their recommendation for Plywood...

                  I think all the people who epoxy these things in are doing something the manufacturer did not intend for you to do... they were intended to be used dry or maybe with some thread lube (they recommended varnish) and the threads providing the holding power.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                  Comment

                  Working...