• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Aftermarket sliding table

Since I replaced my BT3100 with a Ridgid R4512 a few years ago, I miss my sliding miter table. I've looked at the Excalibur sliders and they seem huge and the reviews all say they don't hold settings, it is a pain to take the fence on and off, etc. Basically all the same complaints that were made about the BT3x sliding table. I'm probably favoring the Laguna slidier because of its size which appears to be identical to the Jessem and Grizzley addons.

Does anyone here have experience with any of these and what are the pros / cons you've seen?
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I do not have “owners” experience, rather I have experience walking around several saws with sliding miter tables. I really though I wanted one but have decided that I can’t devote that much of my shop space to any single tool. I have not seen any large table saw with the sliding table that was considered movable, and that is a quality that every tool in my shop must have. Several of the shops I have visited has 2 saws with sliding tables, one that they used and one that they didn’t use because it wasn’t accurate any longer. When I asked why it was not accurate one shop said it had been bumped by bumped by a forklift and they couldn’t get it to square up, other shop said their unused saw had a cheaper brand slider and wasn’t ever accurate. My thoughts on an alternative for a sliding table would be a Festool Multi Function Table set up as a outfeed table on the table saw and use a track saw for large piece cuts.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I use an Incra miter sled and love it. I don't do large pieces though, where the sliding tables really shine. It's super accurate, convenient, repeatable.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Carlos
        I use an Incra miter sled and love it. I don't do large pieces though, where the sliding tables really shine. It's super accurate, convenient, repeatable.
        I have the Incra Miter 5000 sled and I love it. My problem is with larger pieces, that still aren't all that big. Last week I was squaring up cabinet sides for 1024mm (40") uppers and there was no support at the end. Trying to cross cut a 610mm (24") base cabinet side isn't possible with the Miter 5000.
        Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

I partially solved the issue by adding a second drop table to the far side of the Miter 5000 which added 350mm (13.75") to the width and now a cabinet upper side is mostly supported on the sled rather than slightly more than half.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	833855

Next up is trying to figure out why I cant consistently get a square cut on my MFT.
          Chr's

Comment

• jabe
            • Apr 2006
            • Hilo, Hawaii
            • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I use a Saw Trax panel saw for large panels. I bought it b4 track saws were sold, if track saws were around I would have bought it instead of the panel saw. Track saws r easy to setup, store and portable. Only minus with a track saw to do repeatable cuts you would have to setup the guide again for each cut. The panel saw is great for large plywd crosscutting, ripping, repeatable cuts etc. but takes up some space and not portable. Crosscutting large panels to square it's awesome on the panel saw.

Comment

Working...