• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Crosley
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Valrico, Florida.

Best value saw now in the market

I'm a former BT owner who sold most of my tools when moving across country a few years ago, and am looking to get back into woodworking.

Budgets, and space are limited (aren't they always?) so I'm looking for the current 'best value in a table saw.' Basically, I'm looking for the saw that filled the whole the BT3K used to fill.

I know a used BT is always an option, but am worried about parts availability, etc.

What recommendations does everyone have?
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

you can still get a bt3XXX type saw @ sears:

but the best value in 10" table saws today, IMHO, is probably the ridgid r4512:

it's packed with features and qualifies, to the original owner, for registration with ridgid's lifetime service agreement (LSA). free parts and labor for repairs for life. @~$500, it's a very good value. and if you can find a HD that honors the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon, that puts the price @ $400 plus tax. better deals may be available from CL for pre-owned saws, but on a value basis, it's hard to beat the 4512.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

If I had to buy a new saw today, my first stop would be the 4512 in that price range.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

The 4512's an OK saw by non cabinet mounted trunnions standards. Personally this saw , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 , is categorically above the rest in that price category and range considering its easy to grab a 10% of coupon off the net and if you have the Lowes Credit card as well you can garner and additional 5% on top of the 10% of when ordering off the net. While it does have stamped steel wings (not a personal favorite) It is highly rated and has trunnion mounts on the cabinet vs the top for far superior cuts vs the Ridgid and a 5 yr waranty. Personally I think the warranty or LLSA is no more than a gimmick as any tool I have that last more than 3 yrs I keep on buyin and ones that fail before that goes into a junk tool pile. Sadly just 2 yrs ago you could have bought this for about $700 the equivalent to the Ridgid R4511, 1 of my current tablesaws now up to over $800 , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1. One other way to ensure the lowest cost on the SC Stamped steel tablesaw is to get HD,http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051 to p/m the Lowes price and then you'll automatically get the additional 10% off and free shippin to your home as HD offers free shipping with their deal.This puts you with a cabinet mounted trunnion saw for less than $600 shipped to your door, pretty hard to beat

Comment

• worknhard
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2011
          • Denver, CO
          • BT3000, Shopsmith 510, Luna combo machine

Since budget and space are limited, and you are a former BT owner, you might consider the craftsman model 21829. It's a BT3000 that is much more portable and stores in less space. You can catch it on sale near the $400 price range and I don't think you need to worry about parts availability.

Ron

Comment

• ivwshane
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by tommyt654
            The 4512's an OK saw by non cabinet mounted trunnions standards. Personally this saw , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 , is categorically above the rest in that price category and range considering its easy to grab a 10% of coupon off the net and if you have the Lowes Credit card as well you can garner and additional 5% on top of the 10% of when ordering off the net. While it does have stamped steel wings (not a personal favorite) It is highly rated and has trunnion mounts on the cabinet vs the top for far superior cuts vs the Ridgid and a 5 yr waranty. Personally I think the warranty or LLSA is no more than a gimmick as any tool I have that last more than 3 yrs I keep on buyin and ones that fail before that goes into a junk tool pile. Sadly just 2 yrs ago you could have bought this for about $700 the equivalent to the Ridgid R4511, 1 of my current tablesaws now up to over $800 , http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1. One other way to ensure the lowest cost on the SC Stamped steel tablesaw is to get HD,http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051 to p/m the Lowes price and then you'll automatically get the additional 10% off and free shippin to your home as HD offers free shipping with their deal.This puts you with a cabinet mounted trunnion saw for less than $600 shipped to your door, pretty hard to beat
            The link doesn't work for me, what lowes saw were you recommending?

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Lowe's carries a fairly decent Porter Cable (contractor) saw that I've looked at really closely a few times. Last time I looked, it was $499 --- but it often comes on sale.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                Lowe's carries a fairly decent Porter Cable (contractor) saw that I've looked at really closely a few times. Last time I looked, it was $499 --- but it often comes on sale.
                Double check the reviews on that one. That PC contractor saw is supposedly mostly plastic inside, with some known gear (elevation) breakage problems. NOT a tool worthy of the Porter Cable name as I understand it.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

If you can put enough coin together, the top 2 Budget saws are the Steel City that was linked above, the Ridgid R4512, and the Grizzly G0715P.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you want another BT, grab the Sears version. If you want a cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor, I'd lean toward the R4512, or possibly the Steel City 35990. I've read reports of HD accepting an HF 20% coupon....
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                      I have this saw and I would pass on it if I had a choice.
                      The saw itself is quite nice. Great fence and rail system. Switch is okay. The mobile base on the unit works great. Dust collection with a blade shroud like the BT is very nice.
                      Blade tilt mech works similar to the BT with a locking lever.
                      Haven't had any issues with the gearing, but I think I am used the the lever lock like on a BT. Others may not be using that thing correctly.
                      The sad part about it is the riving knife and blade guard.
                      PC missed a chance to do something nice here.
                      Installing and removing the knife is a pain. Blade guard is difficult to install as are the anti-kickback pawls.
                      Unless you just want to add a Shark Guard to it that solves those issues, I would go for something else. Thanks for the business PC.
                      Last edited by Stytooner; 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM.
                      Lee

Comment

• toolguy1000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by dbhost
                        If you can put enough coin together, the top 2 Budget saws are the Steel City that was linked above, the Ridgid R4512, and the Grizzly G0715P.
                        i think i'd have to think long and hard about the linked steel city 35990SS. unless i'm mistaken, that has saw cast steel wings AND a cast steel table top. no CI components. and in looking over the 35990's owners manual, it's the lightweight of the 4 saws that carry the 35990 designation.
                        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                          i think i'd have to think long and hard about the linked steel city 35990SS. unless i'm mistaken, that has saw cast steel wings AND a cast steel table top. no CI components. and in looking over the 35990's owners manual, it's the lightweight of the 4 saws that carry the 35990 designation.
                          I thought that one was the cast iron contractor saw. Did I catch a different link?

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Steel City makes a few versions of the 35990...steel top and steel wings 35990SS, cast iron top and steel wings35990CS, cast iron top and cast iron wings 35990C, and possibly a granite top version 35990G. The trunnions are cabinet mounted cast iron on all of them. I think I'd prefer a cast iron top, but without seeing it, I'd guess steel wouldn't be an issue.
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tommyt654
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ivwshane
                              The link doesn't work for me, what lowes saw were you recommending?
                              Go to the Lowes website and type in Steel City in the search feature, same for Home Depot

Comment

Working...