X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedic1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Crosley
    I'm a former BT owner who sold most of my tools when moving across country a few years ago, and am looking to get back into woodworking.

Budgets, and space are limited (aren't they always?) so I'm looking for the current 'best value in a table saw.' Basically, I'm looking for the saw that filled the whole the BT3K used to fill.

I know a used BT is always an option, but am worried about parts availability, etc.

What recommendations does everyone have?
    I recently bought a new Bosch table saw GTS1031 and it's giving high performance results, When I was new in this market I got little bit confused to select good in my budget. After taking reviews I realized that I did select the best table saw with 15 amp motor, 5000 RPM and outstanding cut size! I got full reviews before step to market!

Leave a comment:

• Wedic1
    replied
    Check some reviews in deep, Because there were many attractive features available, It's depending on all your requirements!

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Doctor Jeff....... this is an 8 year old post, but one that gets discussed often. Saw Stop has also been discussed and trash talked quite bit also. It seems that it’s inventor/lawyer person and their antics to make all saw manufacturers incorporate their technology didn’t sit well for people with morals and ethics. Now that’s in the past and the Saw Stop has a place in the market and doesn’t seem to be a danger of putting all conventional saws out of business. The first chance I get I will probably replace my Powermatic 64 table saw with a Contractor Saw Stop. They are probably of equal value and quality. The selling point for me is the safety feature. One bo-bo with the blade could likely cost you more money than the new saw cost. Trying to buy the best cheapest saw isn’t always the cheapest way.
    capncarl

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Jeff
    replied
    I had a BT3000 for about a decade, but got a SawStop about 2 years ago. Absolutely love it.

High quality, very accurate. And best of all no lost fingers. (I did set off the brake by accident, cutting through some particle board that had—unknown to me—an aluminum foil liner on the other side.)

I won’t mince words. If you are a woodworker and value your digits, get a SawStop. Worth every penny.

Leave a comment:

• Knottscott
    replied
    Originally posted by FuryRoad
    Which craftsman is decent for around $200?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Used, full size contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor. Look for one with the better Exacta-cut or Align-rip fence.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    $200 is not going to get you much saw. There is probably nothing on the market that compares with the Bt3 for less than $500.

Leave a comment:

• FuryRoad
    replied
    Which craftsman is decent for around $200?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• messmaker
    replied
    Originally posted by messmaker
    I know Sears is taking some lumps right now but I traded My Ridgid saw for a Craftsman zipcode saw and have loved it. I think they sell for about $550, but you can usually get 10% off without much problem.
    I did the same thing. Very happy with the Craftsman, but the Ridgid was a fine saw and never gave me a minutes trouble.

Leave a comment:

• JimD
    replied
    I haven't bought many Rigid tools but one I purchased was not a good deal. I wanted a small "finishing" sander. I wanted a square base for fitting into corners. HD had a Rigid one at a very low price so I decided to give it a try. It never worked well and soon didn't work. I took it back to be repaired twice and gave up.

I would buy Rigid again but I don't think they are credibly better than DeWalt or Makita. I think they are maybe a little better than Ryobi. And there is significant range in the tools within any brand. The warranty means more on battery powered equipment that will need batteries in a few years regardless of how well made they are. Tools with cords shouldn't need any maintenance. I've had to replace brushes a few times but usually my corded tools just keep working, regardless of brand. I've also replaced the power switch on a couple PC corded tools but that was after a lot of use.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    Ok! (Sorry Tommy, I didn't realize this was a timed event. )

Leave a comment:

• tommyt654
    replied
    "Yes, returns of those brands are processed differently so they don't show up in the returns bin ", evidence? My HD says all returns are done in the same manner,when a distribution rep from the tool company shows up they inspect and issue credit to the store and either mark it as damaged but reparable where upon it is sent in to be repaired or damaged beyond repair and sent in to become an remanufactured item. Thats policy for all HD stores,So how are things handled differently and why are we rehashing a thread thats dead IMO. everyone has different opinions,hopefully the op got what he needed if not he's had plenty of time to let us know.

"Like you, I have heard only stellar reports about service under the LSA, it seems to be a great program with few if any complaints. " I have heard a variety of complaints (NONE STELLAR) regarding power tools only very little in the way of Plumbers tools the only thing they still make in the USA
    Last edited by tommyt654; 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    If and when I ever loose my BT3100, I'd probably look to the Ridgid 4512 or whatever the version might be at the time.

I've seriously examined the 4512 and find it to be a very significant piece of machinery. Above anything that I've seen at Lowes. Only thing I don't like about the Ridgid 4512 is the stamped steel wings, and I understand from that forum, that a couple of members have found cast iron wing replacements.

Regarding the side-discussion of Ridgid's (actually TTI) of the LLSA. There is a big difference between the "plumbing" tools "lifetime" replacement policy and the Ridgid-branded (TTI is the producer and license holder) woodworking tools. With Ridgid plumbing tools, they are manufactured and backed by Emerson's Ridge Tool Division and the process is significantly different.

With TTI's LLSA program for thier "Ridgid" branded tools, you will find a lot of complaints... mostly by those who haven't registered, IMHO. Speaking for myself, I have only had to use the LLSA for two tools (a finishing sander, and a wobbling chuck on cordless drill). Both were taken care of quickly and returned to my door in a reasonable time. Much is of course dependant on the Service Center you send the tool to, as they are independantly owned.

The point is that they are of course, an encentive to buy the tools. No different than any warranty would be or other service program. You spend your hard-earned money to buy something, you certainly want to know what the return policy or long range service might be; and, for many of us that is every bit as important as the product's performance.

For myself, I find Ridgid-brand tools to be pretty nice, and the LLSA gives me some security, if and when I may need it. On the other hand, while I grew up with Craftsman-brand tools, the 1-year warranty on thier power tools is woefully behind the times and not at all competitive. Comparing the Ridgid 4512, to the Craftsman look-a-like model, I see the same features, but the Craftsman unit is higher priced, and has only a 1-year warranty. Both are nice saws in that price range.

CWS

Leave a comment:

• woodturner
    replied
    Originally posted by tommyt654
    Perhaps, I would venture to say thats not completely true as I see an awful lot of DeWalt,Milwaulkee,Bosch, and Makita tools being sold vs the aforementioned 2, Those I rarely see if ever in the returned tools bin.
    Yes, returns of those brands are processed differently so they don't show up in the returns bin.

FWIW, in fairly heavy pro usage, I have broken or worn out DeWalt, Makita, and Skil most frequently, but have yet to wear out or break a Bosch, Ryobi, or Ridgid tool. Granted, that's anecdotal experience and not statistically significant, but neither is your "snapshop" of the returns bin.

Gimmick or not the sole reasoning for purchasing a tool is quality and performance something that some of the Ridgid tools do well, not most,but I would not base my purchase on the LSA
    If you read the teardown reports in the trade journals, you will see that Ridgid uses higher quality components than homeowner brands like DeWalt/B&D and many pro brands such as Makita. They have to build better tools to make the lifetime warranty work economically. Like you, I have heard only stellar reports about service under the LSA, it seems to be a great program with few if any complaints.

Leave a comment:

• messmaker
    replied
    I know Sears is taking some lumps right now but I traded My Ridgid saw for a Craftsman zipcode saw and have loved it. I think they sell for about $550, but you can usually get 10% off without much problem.

Leave a comment:

• tommyt654
    replied
    ' HD sells many more Ridgid and Ryobi tools "

Perhaps, I would venture to say thats not completely true as I see an awful lot of DeWalt,Milwaulkee,Bosch, and Makita tools being sold vs the aforementioned 2, Those I rarely see if ever in the returned tools bin.

"good tie breaker vs no LSA"

The warrantys only as good as the service provided,which to my knowledge as stated other than plumbers has been less than stellar in almost all case's with the possible exception of getting something for nothing like free batterys.

Gimmick or not the sole reasoning for purchasing a tool is quality and performance something that some of the Ridgid tools do well, not most,but I would not base my purchase on the LSA as I stated its the last reason I would be likely to purchase the tools in question based on the warranty info claims I have seen on the net as well as the number of returned tools I see at HD. I know some here have visited the Ridgidforum.com and theres always a discussion about the warranty over there and a lot of dissatisfied and satisfied customers, rarely are they woodworkers as the latter. But we are mainly discussing the tablesaw and frankly the cabinet mounted trunnions are the deal breaker IMHO

Leave a comment:

Working...