If you had the money, and had to replace your BT3x00...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Dutchman
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011
    • Holland Mi
    • My BT3000

My BT3000, What elce would I ever want!

If I had all the money in the coffers that I ever need, what saw would I buy I think that I would forgo a new table saw, and have it checked out, and any modification done that would make it safe, and work better, (if that's possible) would be to rebuild it, where necessary! I do not use Mine every day, so I don't know what needs rebuilding, and I certainly don't feel any thing that has changed in any way since I bought it. I would go and get a new band saw! One that can be used to cut boards off a tree slab, or side. I can see some real advantages to be able to cutting new boards from a larger slab of wood. I would also do something about my shop! I have a large basement shop. the layout is 28 X35 ft. with two walls separating it. Not an ideal solution, I would probably like to relocate so that My shop was separated, and not attached.
    But to be honest, At My age, and My disabilities, it would not happen. It is a beautiful thing to think about, however!
    I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

JimD,
      I think you misunderstood how SS works.
      When mechanism triggers - the arbor disengages from the blade. It means blade is no longer attached to the axle, there are no strong forces applied to any bearings or belts. At the same time a metal chunk is jammed in one of the teeth on the blade, this tooth becomes a new center of rotation instead of arbor. Blade's own momentum pulls it under the table surface. It is impossible to stop the rotation of the blade so fast that it does not cut you when it already touched your finger. SS does not even try to stop the rotation, it uses this rotation to pull the blade under the table and away from your fingers.
      Alex V

Comment

• catta12
        Established Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Reno, NV
        • BTS20R

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        Where have you read that? I've seen nothing about poor build quality about the SS saws. In fact, I'm heard they're built very well so they can handle the incredible forces from the breaking that you noted. Their arbor and bearings are much larger than for comparable saws so they don't bend/ break after triggering the break mechanism. Now I heard this from the Woodcraft employee where I was looking at the saw, but I don't think he was lying.

I would agree that while SS is expensive, it's in line with the Powermatic and Delta premium saws. While I don't like the tactics Gass has used to legislate it's use, I do think it's a great technology and if I ever have teh extra funds to spend north of $2k on a new saw, it'll probably be a SS (or equivalent, by the time I'm ready to buy it may be liscensed).
        +1 to all of that. While I agree that the profits through legislation tactics are garbage, the SawStop in my garage is awesome. The SS is expensive, but quality and well built even ignoring the major feature of digit protection. I bought the SawStop #1 for safety, but it holds it's own as a saw against other premium brands in all other areas too. I've had mine for about a year and I don't see any reason to ever need another saw.
        If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• SVO
          Handtools only
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by capncarl
          I considered the SS but have a hard time with lawyers and trolls and really get tensed up when someone has a product that is a safety benefit that should be licensed to all mfg.'s at a "reasonable" price and is trying to corner the market.
          Ill spend the extra money and buy or build a shark guard type blade guard.
          capncarl
          I'm not sure where you get your information but this is very wrong-headed. The SS guys spent several years negotiating with the big manufacturers for a 3% commission (wholesale, not retail). Ryobi eventually countered with terms that would force the SS guys to carry all of THEIR liability. BS offer on it's face- it was made only for the audience of woodworkers who don't live in this world of technology licensing and don't know it (I do and I'm not a lawyer, I'm an engineer). They never intended to license it: They just wanted to tie it up and create enough delay for the technology to just hopefully go away.

You need to understand that, economically, adoption of safety devices universally across an industry is a pure COST to the manufacturers. The playing field is the same, everyone loses. If all saws now cost 5% more then buyers put-off buying for a bit longer, or buy fewer accessories with, etc. The result is lost revenue to the industry. The ONLY way for the inventors to make money is that it has to be an exclusive license. Sadly, there are market failures in which capitalism is imperfect and this is a great example.

Airbags was another. Fun quiz: How many years between the patenting of the airbag and it's wide availability in an American car line? Answer: 25. Also interesting:

"In the early 1970s, Ford and General Motors began offering cars equipped with air bags... G.M. discontinued the option for its 1977 model year, citing lack of consumer interest. Ford and G.M. then spent years lobbying against air-bag requirements, claiming that the devices were unfeasible and inappropriate. It was not until the early 1990s that airbags became widespread in American cars."

The difference is if ONLY GM has the safety feature, it can produce profits. As soon as everyone has it, it's a loser. And, you know, so what if thousands of lives (or fingers) are lost. Not in our job descriptions.

Comment

Working...